FR measuring rig - disappointing results!
Nov 23, 2019 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Samk15

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've purchased a Dayton imm-6 and followed the instructions in the following video ()
to build a DIY rig to measure the earphone's frequency response (but I haven't used the pink noise method) and noticed that the recorded sound is very muffled with excessive bass and very inaccurate comparing to the source file.

I've read that it could be due to proximity effect.

Next I'm going to use a different type of coupler (a metal coupler) and see if it improves the results.

I was wondering if anyone else had any success using imm-6 to measure FR and what method/rig you've used.

I feel like I'm going the wrong direction by using imm-6 to measure the FR.

I appreciate your input and responses.

Nov 23, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm going to be captain obvious, but if you wish to know how FR measurements go, you should do some. when listening to the loop of IEM+coupler+mic+whatever other transducer you play that back with, the real surprise would be if it sounded neutral.

several people used that mic and a little tube as coupler for IEM measurements. crinacle has measured about a hundred IEMs that way before moving to a slightly more standard rig. so while finding a proper calibration that has any form of meaning is hard, measuring variations between IEMs should work just fine.

here you can see a few of the solutions I've used over the years, and a very superficial opinion on them. the IMM-6 isn't the worst option:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hea...different-results.751100/page-2#post-13933374

you might also find this interesting:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-measurements-on-a-headfi-budget.893084/

Nov 23, 2019 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the links. I'll go through each to find out more about measuring rigs/techniques.
My first aim is to achieve a more natural and accurate results by using different tube/coupler while keeping the costs low.

Nov 24, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #4 of 5
I am also using the Dayton IMM-6 and it actually works quite well as a comparative measurement setup, meaning comparing my IEMs and judging the effect of modifications to them.
I have experimented with different 3D printed couplers, even trying to re-design the 711 standard coupler in 3D print. The best results (closest to other measurements with real rigs) was given by a simple tube.

So if used as intended it works well for my purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back