Fox News photoshops NYT reporters' pictures
Jul 3, 2008 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

VicAjax

Headphoneus Supremus
Fox News got a bit upset about an article in the Times analyzing recent ratings dips the network has been having.

So Fox aired a story about the guy who wrote the article and his editor, calling them "Attack Dogs," and put these altered photos on the air:

fox-20080702-steinberg.jpg

fox-20080702-redicliffe.jpg

i don't know about you guys, but i find this downright disgusting (at best) and potentially libelous and illegal (at worst). i'll be curious to see if any backlash (or even lawsuits) emerges.

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #2 of 26
You do realize this is Fox News right? Just my opinion, but Fox News is one of the worst things on television. This doesn't surprise me at all.

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do realize this is Fox News right? Just my opinion, but Fox News is one of the worst things on television. This doesn't surprise me at all.

If by worst you mean extremely biased and 100% uninformative.

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 26
Mods may as well shut this thread down now. I think ugliness will follow.

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JSTpt1022 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yes... but it's still supposedly "news." to inject bias and opinion is certainly egregioius, but to straight up fabricate and manipulate images... well that's just immoral.

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

why? we're talking about journalism... not politics or religion.

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #7 of 26
Caricatures are a time honored practice and if this were illegal, there are a lot of newspaper editorial cartoonists that are going to be in deep trouble.

Either way, it's not much different than what the NYT mag did to Warner. The Times was a touch more sophisticated and used mechanical methods to produce their picture, but the intended effect is the same.

032206c1jh5.jpg
nytrj5rk2.jpg

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:03 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can't separate Fox News from politics. Not that I disagree with you about this.

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Caricatures are a time honored practice and if this were illegal, there are a lot of newspaper editorial cartoonists that are going to be in deep trouble.

Either way, it's not much different than what the NYT mag did to Warner. The Times was a touch more sophisticated and used mechanical methods to produce their picture, but the intended effect is the same.

032206c1jh5.jpg
nytrj5rk2.jpg

There's definitely a difference between subtly Photoshopping a published photo and creating a caricature; even if the intent is the same. The latter is obvious ridicule; the former is a malicious, even immature activity.

It's no surprise that this comes from Fox, however.

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The second photo doesn't really look altered, unless you count color adjustments. It's not like they yellowed his teeth and blackened his eyes.

Did Fox News make any implication that the photos were edited, or were they displayed as if they were legitimate?

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #11 of 26
Before this gets closed, I urge the people that watch and believe Fox News to rent the documentary "Outfoxed".

Jul 3, 2008 at 8:33 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321

Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

We're really talking about journalism? Not the evil fox on the right that fights with the evil Times on the left? according to who's side you are teamed up with... for a second I thought it was a political preference thing
rolleyes.gif

I'll play dumb and accept that this is just about journalistic integrity ... it's so good to not be attached to either side and to think freely - easier on the heart too

Jul 3, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 26
It's no different that what Time did to the OJ picture back in the 90s. They caught a lot of crap too. The cover of Time is probably seen by more people that a clip on Fox News though. At least back then, it was at almost every grocery store checkout line.

oj-time-newsweek.jpg

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #15 of 26
Whatever the case my be...that's funny as hell, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back