Four Choices for Closed Over-Ears Under $300
Aug 3, 2015 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

goodyfresh

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys, so I am still in the market (not necessarily sooner than within a couple months from now though, I'm in no hurry and want to upgrade my on-ears from the V-Moda M-80 to the V-Moda XS, first) to buy a good pair of closed over-ear headphones, and have narrowed down my search to four choices. You can see the choices in the poll. Feel free to vote as to which of the four you think I should get, but please, leave a post in here explaining WHY you think that choice would be best.

The choice of which headphones sound better is such a subjective thing, and I'd like to get your guys' input as to the pros and cons of each of these cans' sound, isolation, comfort, portability, etc. Keep in mind that I've had a chance to demo two of these in a store alongside each-other, the MDR-1A and the M4U-1, and I tremendously enjoyed both of them and would have a hard time choosing, so I hope to hear from folks who have spent a greater amount of time listening to both and possibly the other two.

Also, if you think I have "missed" any good under-$300 closed over-ear cans that can reasonably "compete" with or do better than the ones on my list, feel free to say so! Finally, do keep in mind that I do not in the leat bit mind a more "Fun-Sounding" headphone with a somewhat colored/v-shaped signature, nor do I mind one with a flat response as long as the bass still hits nice and hard and the highs are still nice and sparkly. . .but, I most definitely like something with good, strong, non-recessed midrange. That's why I have some very different-sounding headphones on this list (the MDR-1A vs the M4U-1, for example).

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 51
Oppo sells refurbished units in "like new" condition with full warranty.  I'd say the Oppo PM-3 refurbed at $320 is my choice.

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #3 of 51
  Oppo sells refurbished units in "like new" condition with full warranty.  I'd say the Oppo PM-3 refurbed at $320 is my choice.

Ooooh, NEAT!  How often do they actually have them in stock?  I just checked their site and they are out of stock on them, and I have no way to know if they'll be in-stock or not once I've saved up the money I need, ya know? Ugh.

Aug 3, 2015 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 51

Ooooh, NEAT!  How often do they actually have them in stock?  I just checked their site and they are out of stock on them, and I have no way to know if they'll be in-stock or not once I've saved up the money I need, ya know? Ugh.

They go in and out of stock, you just have to keep checking back regularly.  Also, the whites seem to be in stock more than the black so be sure to check both.

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #6 of 51

They go in and out of stock, you just have to keep checking back regularly.  Also, the whites seem to be in stock more than the black so be sure to check both.

Thanks for the tips!  Have you listened to them yourself?  How would you describe the various aspects of their sound?  I know the frequency-response is super-duper flat and accurate (nice :-D), and they must have great transient-response and detail resoluation due to being planar-magnetic, but how about their soundstage and imaging and such?  ANd how about their comfort and ACTUAL portability for, say, walking aroudn town?  Build-quality/durability?  Etc. . .  Also, if I'm not mistaken, they're much easier to drive than is typical for PM's, so I wont' need an amp from my Fiio X3ii, correct?

P.S.  Also, if I WERE to still get a dynamic headphone instead of a PM, which of the ones in my poll would YOU go with, dude?  Just curious.

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 51
  Thanks for the tips!  Have you listened to them yourself?  How would you describe the various aspects of their sound?  I know the frequency-response is super-duper flat and accurate (nice :-D), and they must have great transient-response and detail resoluation due to being planar-magnetic, but how about their soundstage and imaging and such?  ANd how about their comfort and ACTUAL portability for, say, walking aroudn town?  Build-quality/durability?  Etc. . .  Also, if I'm not mistaken, they're much easier to drive than is typical for PM's, so I wont' need an amp from my Fiio X3ii, correct?

P.S.  Also, if I WERE to still get a dynamic headphone instead of a PM, which of the ones in my poll would YOU go with, dude?  Just curious.

I got my loaner pair in today, and they are pretty damn great. Don't need amping at all and are insanely lightweight. Detail resolution, meh. Meh when compared to my alpha dogs; when compared to something like momentums and other dynamics around your price range, the speed of these headphones reduce any congestion that the smallish soundstage might bring. It's a small soundstage, but seperation is worlds better than every other portable I've used. The actually frequency response is not my preference as they lack the treble energy that I look for, but the bass and midrange is very linear. Not the best bass extension, but where it extends to is an extremely consistent linear response and it really is nice as a portable headphone, even as a home listening phone. Very unique option in the portable option, and if you can find them referbed, even used, they are great for the price. No way I would trade them for a dynamic offering, but then again, I am addicted to the sweet planar sound. And jesus, the build quality makes my alpha dogs feel like doller store headphones, sry mr clark. Everything is extremely well fitted metal and the pads are fairly comfortable(pseudocircumnaural). You're x3 should be able to make these explode, I put them on my e09k and they are not past 7 o clock on low gain. If I put this on high gain, I would need 400 bucks because they would literally be on fire. I will be writing a review sometime at the end of the week and I'll probably post it in this thread for reference.

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 51
  I got my loaner pair in today, and they are pretty damn great. Don't need amping at all and are insanely lightweight. Detail resolution, meh. Meh when compared to my alpha dogs; when compared to something like momentums and other dynamics around your price range, the speed of these headphones reduce any congestion that the smallish soundstage might bring. It's a small soundstage, but seperation is worlds better than every other portable I've used. The actually frequency response is not my preference as they lack the treble energy that I look for, but the bass and midrange is very linear. Not the best bass extension, but where it extends to is an extremely consistent linear response and it really is nice as a portable headphone, even as a home listening phone. Very unique option in the portable option, and if you can find them referbed, even used, they are great for the price. No way I would trade them for a dynamic offering, but then again, I am addicted to the sweet planar sound. And jesus, the build quality makes my alpha dogs feel like doller store headphones, sry mr clark. Everything is extremely well fitted metal and the pads are fairly comfortable(pseudocircumnaural). You're x3 should be able to make these explode, I put them on my e09k and they are not past 7 o clock on low gain. If I put this on high gain, I would need 400 bucks because they would literally be on fire. I will be writing a review sometime at the end of the week and I'll probably post it in this thread for reference.

Thanks for the tips, man!  Much appreciated.  I think I might just have to get two pairs, then, and spend a while saving up so I can get both. . .the Oppo PM-3 for when I want a really flat, accurate response, like when I'm listening to orchestral symphonic music, and the MDR-1A for when I want a more fun, V-shaped response for things like rock, rap, and blues.

You say the soundstage is small, though?  That'd have to be my one big concern, then, about paying over 300 bucks for a pair of cans. . .I really do like a nice, wide soundstage.  The MDR-1A and PSB M4U-1 both do a GREAT job with soundstage and imaging despite being closed-back.

Also, don't compare to the Momentums.  Don't even get me started on how much I hate the abysmally non-existent soundstage on those things with their teeny-tiny little damn earcups >_< IMO Sennheiser really missed the mark on the Momentum Over-Ears, which is unusual for a company as experienced with headphone engineering as them.

One more question too.  You say the PM-3 lack the treble energy you look for. . .in what sense, exactly?  Does the treble just sound a bit dull and without sparkle?  How would you compare it to the treble energy on other headphones you've listened to, both over-ear and on-ear?  You ever listened to a pair of V-Moda M-80s?  I'm looking for something that'll still have good tight bass response, but better treble-sparkle than my M-80s.  ANd have you listened to the MDR-1A or M4U1?  If so, how would you compare its treble and its bass to those?  And, do I even need to ask about the midrange?  Since they're planar magnetic, I assume it must do the mids excellently.

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #9 of 51
Never heard the Oppo, unfortunately, but if you're looking for something with forward and detailed mids with plenty of treble sparkle and a really great soundstage for a closed back, the MSR7 is an excellent choice. They're quite a steal under $300. I prefer it quite easily to the MDR1A which I find to be an inferior can in many ways. 

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #10 of 51
  Never heard the Oppo, unfortunately, but if you're looking for something with forward and detailed mids with plenty of treble sparkle and a really great soundstage for a closed back, the MSR7 is an excellent choice. They're quite a steal under $300. I prefer it quite easily to the MDR1A which I find to be an inferior can in many ways. 

The problem with the MSR7, from what I've seen of the frequency-response, is that I do very much like a strong bass response, too, and the MSR7 seems to be pretty lacking in sub-bass extension.  I like bass that really shakes my eardrums, i.e. the sub-bass.  Frmo what you actually hear, as opposed to the graphed freq-response, how would you rate the bass on the MSR7?

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #11 of 51
  The problem with the MSR7, from what I've seen of the frequency-response, is that I do very much like a strong bass response, too, and the MSR7 seems to be pretty lacking in sub-bass extension.  I like bass that really shakes my eardrums, i.e. the sub-bass.  Frmo what you actually hear, as opposed to the graphed freq-response, how would you rate the bass on the MSR7?

It's true that it doesn't have the kind of subbass that basshead cans do, but I've been quite surprised with it. I was worried it would be lacking based on things I've read, but it's got a pretty fun low end that presents beautifully. If you're a basshead it may not be enough for you, however. 

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #12 of 51

It's true that it doesn't have the kind of subbass that basshead cans do, but I've been quite surprised with it. I was worried it would be lacking based on things I've read, but it's got a pretty fun low end that presents beautifully. If you're a basshead it may not be enough for you, however. 

I'm not a basshead, no.  So on rap or funk tracks with strong, hard-hitting bass, the bass will still hit nice and punchy and tight, then?  That's all I care about, I don't need it pounding into my skull or anything, lol.

Also, I'd like to get your specific views on something.  You mentioned seeing the MDR1A as an "inferior can."  Why, exactly, what would you say is inferior about it?  I know the response is a bit more V-shaped, but not to an extent that I really find too serious.  And from my listening test of it, I thought it had quite excellent soundstage and pretty damn good detail. . .so what about it would you say is so inferior?

Aug 4, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #13 of 51

I'm not a basshead, no.  So on rap or funk tracks with strong, hard-hitting bass, the bass will still hit nice and punchy and tight, then?  That's all I care about, I don't need it pounding into my skull or anything, lol.

What kind of things in the rap and funk genre do you like? I'd be happy to give them a listen and tell you how I think they perform. The thing about the MSR7 is it's the type of phone with an almost reference sound to it. They seem to reproduce what the the producer intended with the exception of the upper mid/treble which is slightly more forward, but gives it that extra sparkly detail.

For instance on funk tracks (one new and one old) I listen to like these, the bass is plenty present. It's got punch and slam, with beautiful detail, but it lacks the rumble and boom of bassier cans. Both of these sorts of things sound just beautiful on the MSR7.

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #14 of 51

What kind of things in the rap and funk genre do you like? I'd be happy to give them a listen and tell you how I think they perform. The thing about the MSR7 is it's the type of phone with an almost reference sound to it. They seem to reproduce what the the producer intended with the exception of the upper mid/treble which is slightly more forward, but gives it that extra sparkly detail.

For instance on funk tracks (one new and one old) I listen to like these, the bass is plenty present. It's got punch and slam, with beautiful detail, but it lacks the rumble and boom of bassier cans. Both of these sorts of things sound just beautiful on the MSR7.

If you could somehow be able to rate the sound of any or all of the following tracks on the MSR7's, as you hear them, that'd make you such a nice guy in my book:

Anything from The Chronic (original 1992 album) by Dr. Dre and Death Row, Lick a Shot adn Insane in the Brain by Cypress Hill, Bring da Ruckus by Wu Tang Clan, Intergalactic by the Beastie Boys, Flashlight and Bop Gun and P-Funk by Parliament, and Chameleon and Watermelon Man by Herbie Hancock.  Also, how do they tend to do with symphonic/orchestral, such as Bach's Brandenburg Concerto or Beethoven's 9th?  Or goth-rock with female vocals like Evanescence?  And then of course ther'es my favorite genre of music. . .Classic/Hard-Rock.  How do they do on stuff like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Doors, the Beatles (mostly their later, more psychedelic stuff), Pink Floyd, The Eagles, Jimi Hendrix, or AC/DC?  How about acoustic/Delta blues liek Robert Johnson or Son House, or Electric Blues like B.B. King or Buddy Guy?

Meanwhile, I'm still wondering how exactly you consider the MDR1A "inferior cans."  What did you mean by that?  How would THEY do, you think, with the diversity of music I just mentioned?  I got a chance to listen to them in a store, but only for 20 minutes, and it was when I still only had a 16gb micro-SD for my Fiio X3ii, so I wasn't able to listen to such a wide variety of genres.

And are there any other closed-back cans, in your mind, that dont' really sacrifice soundstage and would do well with such a variety of music as what I just mentioned?  That's probably the biggest reason I'm having such trouble finding and making up my mind on closed-back over-ears. . .I listen to a very eclectic variety of different tracks from different genres, and I am trying to find something very, very versatile for somewhere around 300 bucks or less.  And it IS important that heavy, punchy bass in tracks that are supposed to have it, IS still giong to come across punchy and heavy, which is one of the reasons I liked what I heard from the Sony MDR-1A. . .

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #15 of 51
If you want any sparkle in the treble, the pm3s aren't for you. Violins sound dull and even cymbals are difficult to notice through the rest of the frequency response. You might be better off with the msr7 for treble energy. They are admittedly boring, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back