Found an old reciever in the parents basement
Jun 20, 2007 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Gil Schwartzman

500+ Head-Fier
I was helping my parents prepare for moving, and still packed in a box from the move six years ago, I found a Technics SA-222 Stereo Receiver. The box next to it had some newer looking Pioneer speakers. So, like the eager beaver that I am, I got it all hooked up.

Well... the speakers sound like crap. They are pretty damn awful. I don't know if the receiver is any good or not either. My parents never were audio nuts like me. It does seem to be driving my Denons well though.

So, I went to google, but I couldn't find any info on this receiver. I'd be quite curious to know if its any good. I have wanted a nice speaker setup, and not having to buy an amp would make that easier to achieve, but I don't want to pursue it right now if this is a garbage receiver, and I'd be better off just getting a power amp.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 13
This one?

85d8_2.JPG

Sells for $15-$20

http://cgi.ebay.com/TECHNICS-SA-222-...QQcmdZViewItem

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 13
What are the odds of them buying a good amp with crappy speakers?

Pretty low if you ask me. Go to a hifistore and get amp + speakers. if the amp you have is bad compared to the new one ditch it. If it sounds good just keep the speakers and go back with the amp.

Jun 20, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxmiliam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Pretty low if you ask me. Go to a hifistore and get amp + speakers. if the amp you have is bad compared to the new one ditch it. If it sounds good just keep the speakers and go back with the amp.

They aren't the original speakers purchased with the amp. My hope is that maybe the first pair of speakers were much better, and when they went out, my dad didnt use it nearly as much and didn't want to put a lot of money in it, so bought some cheapies just to get the job done.

Aug 6, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well... the speakers sound like crap.

Most likely the foam rubber woofer surrounds have disintegrated. This is common and expected of older speakers, especially ones kept in a high temperature environment like an attic. You can replace these yourself for $10 - $25 for a kit. You can find them via Google or on eBay.

Aug 6, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 13
I remember when this came out. Not one of Technics better efforts. The late 70's were the best when Technics (made by Panasonic) tried to compete with Pioneer and the rest.

Aug 7, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by aj_chicago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most likely the foam rubber woofer surrounds have disintegrated. This is common and expected of older speakers, especially ones kept in a high temperature environment like an attic. You can replace these yourself for $10 - $25 for a kit. You can find them via Google or on eBay.

This is definitely something worth at least checking, although I wouldn't be surprised if they're still crap speakers.
tongue.gif

Foam surrounds can rot out and need replacing, and cloth surrounds can need resealing, while rubber surrounds don't require any maintenance.

Aug 7, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxmiliam /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You'd be surprised. I did a brief home theater calibration for an older gentlemen who had a higher-end Onkyo 7.1 receiver (~$700 new) hooked up to some Bose 201 V bookshelves. Talk about mismatched.
tongue.gif

Gil Schwartzman, since the amplifier isn't especially valuable, you should open it up and take some pictures for us. At least check out the power sections and the ratings on the two cylindrical output capacitors; those will give you a better idea of how it might perform.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back