Found a cure for my upgrade-itus
Jan 30, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #31 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimix
RJD2 - Dead Ringer

awesome turntablism/hip-hop

lol funny you should mention them.. I just "discovered" them here in Scandinavia a week ago when a friend of mine played "The Horror" at a party. Yesterday I played the horror for another friend, and he asked the question: "what is that band?"
biggrin.gif

howcome they suddenly have "surfaced" now?

Right now my favourites are 1976, Iced Lightning and of course the Horror. I like the "intro" track, they should have expanded on that imo...

>> and oh yes, totally agree on Muse - my favourite band. THE GROOVE!
smily_headphones1.gif

A recommendation of my own to people who haven't heard it yet: Röyksopp (norwegian slow/dreamy dance)
And in the alternative rock genre: Kaizers Orchestra (norwegian weird rock), and Caesar's Palace (swedish retro-rock)

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:29 PM Post #32 of 210
Radiohead? Muse? What is this madness? If Radiohead are standing on the top of the Taipei 101 tower, Muse probably manage the roof of a suburban bungalow. Mind you, if there were some sort of crane arrangement which could winch Matt Bellamy's piano from the suburban bungalow roof up to the Taipei tower, whence it could be dispatched to the ground, that'd be aces.

+1 for Grace, from this corner.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 30, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #33 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by akerman
lol funny you should mention them.. I just "discovered" them here in Scandinavia a week ago when a friend of mine played "The Horror" at a party. Yesterday I played the horror for another friend, and he asked the question: "what is that band?"
biggrin.gif

howcome they suddenly have "surfaced" now?

Right now my favourites are 1976, Iced Lightning and of course the Horror. I like the "intro" track, they should have expanded on that imo...

>> and oh yes, totally agree on Muse - my favourite band. THE GROOVE!
smily_headphones1.gif

A recommendation of my own to people who haven't heard it yet: Röyksopp (norwegian slow/dreamy dance)
And in the alternative rock genre: Kaizers Orchestra (norwegian weird rock), and Caesar's Palace (swedish retro-rock)

RJD2 isn't a band. RJD2 is a single DJ/Turntabalist. RJD2 was a producer for a while, but only relatively recently came out as an artist in his own right (i think RJD2's debut was 2002 or 2003). Röyksopp is great. that is a good recommendation.

Jan 30, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #35 of 210
Hip-hop:
"T.I.M.E." - Leaders of the New School
"All Balls Don't Bounce" - Aceyalone
"The Blast Radius" - Insight (this guy is incredible, def. the best hip-hop has to offer right now)
"Bizarre Ride II - The Pharcyde" - Pharcyde
"Both Sides of the Brain" + "Future Development" - Del tha Funkee Homosapien
(Self-titled) - Deltron 3030
"Return of the Boom Bap" - KRS-One
"F.U. Don't Take It Personal" - Fu-Schnickens (out of print, can be found cheap on Half.com)
(Self-titled) + "Stress: The Extinction Agenda" - Organized Konfusion
"Nia" - Blackalicious

There are more, but I'll let you work with that for now

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #36 of 210
Everyone, this is awesome, I'm glad so many people responded, I can feel my library already being enriched. I'm listening to the arcade fire right now, wow, what a great album. RJD2 is also very cool, I love all the definitive jux stuff he produced as well (El-P, fantastic damage is awesome). Keep it coming!

Jan 30, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #37 of 210
Not sure about your area but the libraries near me have incredible music collections. I take out 10-20 discs at a time and rip them to my iPod. Best of all, it's free.

Jan 30, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #38 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
RJD2 isn't a band. RJD2 is a single DJ/Turntabalist.

Even more impressive
smily_headphones1.gif

I keep comparing him with the Avalanches - so that would be worth checking out for any RJD2 fan that doesn't know them.

Jan 30, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #39 of 210
Wanna jam a little (borderline punk/alternative)....try:

Story of the Year - "Page Avenue"
AFI - "Sing the Sorrow" or "The Art of Drowning"
Guttermouth - "The Album Formerly Known as a Full Length LP"

Some Alternative Jazz (Japanese):

Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts

Borderline Folk:

Johnny Cash - "Unearthed"....It's not really country per say so don't freak out. Volume Three: Redemption is my favorite.

I hope your anti-upgradititus strategy works. It never did for me.

Jan 30, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #40 of 210
A lot of the crud they call country now isn't country at all, it's just lousy rock played by a guy with a cowboy hat. Real country music is amazingly good. After all, Rock n Roll was created by the intersection of jump blues and country music.

See ya
Steve

Jan 31, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #42 of 210
Quote:

Originally Posted by akerman
Even more impressive
smily_headphones1.gif

I keep comparing him with the Avalanches - so that would be worth checking out for any RJD2 fan that doesn't know them.

yeah, the avalanches are great.

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #43 of 210
I can't even begin to finish recommending :p If I have (it's pleasure, honest) to suggest, get:
Animal Collective - Here comes the indian
Aqui - The First Trip Out (just saw them this friday..shocking but swingworthy)
An Albatross - We Are the Lazer Viking
Cinema Strange - Cinema Strange
Lali Puna - Scary World Theory
Saosin - Translating the Name (Not really my kind of topics but his voice transcends typical s***emo)
Subtle - A new white
Viktor Vaughn (Doom, most slept on mother trucker in hiphop. Screw that KRS-One "I am Hip-Hop, watch me throw it up," herding and don't bother with Nas or whatever that junk is..it's all typical.

Okay so most of that isn't artfag music right? If you beatniks nod, you understand..cool man.

Methodically, get it all. Nothing makes for good other than stuff that causes you to cringe at first, or each time at that!

Peace to the middle east.

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #44 of 210
Nightwish - Once
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
Keane - Hopes and Fears
Sarah Mclachlan - Surfacing

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #45 of 210
I'm so bitter, I saw that Glastonbury live cast when I was in the UK over the summer and Keane was played..OH FOR FS! I'm sorry, if you like it, get over them. There's really much better stuff out there..No wait, this is begging flame. I just don't see how people get off to them they're so AverageCore.

Yeah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back