Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 11, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #12,061 of 12,086
I think I may purchase a pair of the Mahogany used. Do these still compete in damn near 2024 or am I am I better off getting some other closed back. Just wanted some input before I purchase cause I myself have bought things that were good but in hindsight I would've been better off buying some else.

Dec 11, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #12,062 of 12,086
I think I may purchase a pair of the Mahogany used. Do these still compete in damn near 2024 or am I am I better off getting some other closed back. Just wanted some input before I purchase cause I myself have bought things that were good but in hindsight I would've been better off buying some else.
Depends on what price you can get a pair. I don't have a mahogany, but I do have a Purpleheart (along with a D2k and D5k). Nothing quite like a full biocellulose diver IMO, so I would say it's still relevant for the type of bass it can deliver. Even hybrid biocellulose drivers like the HP-3 and Nighthawk don't have the same bass characteristics.

However, keep in mind the E-mu Teak (last I checked) is still in production so if it's around $400 for the X00 then it wouldn't make sense since you could get new pair for around that price, so don't overpay.

Also, as you are probably aware, the X00 and varients are more semi-open than closed and don't really provide that much isolation, so if you need a closed back for that reason you might be disappointed.

Dec 11, 2023 at 9:44 PM Post #12,063 of 12,086
I have more of these that I can shake a stick at...LMK if you're up for buying one and I can take it to the Classifieds section. Got LOADS of feedback/referrals.

Thanks.

Dec 11, 2023 at 10:13 PM Post #12,064 of 12,086
I still think the Mahogany are my favourite headphones that I own. Granted, other than the B&W Px7 S2 Bluetooth headphones, I haven't actually bought headphones in a long time (except the beyerdynamic Dt880 600ohms edition which I ended up selling not long after I bought them)

Dec 12, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #12,065 of 12,086
They sound great, but if you can afford it I'd absolutely recommend the E-mu Teak instead. Apart from the beautiful wooden cups, the build quality of the X00 is flimsy to say the least, but the E-mu are built like a tank. If I had my time again I'd definitely get the E-mu instead.

Dec 12, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #12,066 of 12,086
, the build quality of the X00 is flimsy to say the least
As far as I am concerned I disagree..my Ebony X00 is now 4 years old and is in pristine conditions and working flawlessly. Honestly I really think it's very well built (and sounds wonderful 😁)

Dec 12, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #12,067 of 12,086
As far as I am concerned I disagree..my Ebony X00 is now 4 years old and is in pristine conditions and working flawlessly. Honestly I really think it's very well built (and sounds wonderful 😁)
Ive had mine since it first came out. I've had to fix it twice in about 7, 8 years. One piece fell off few years ago, had to remove the ear cup to reattach it. And this time the ear cup actually fell off.

Dec 14, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #12,069 of 12,086
If I'm not mistaken those are the Sash Tres planars in your pfp? Do you think that purchasing those and the closed/semi open back cups would be a better decision.

Dec 15, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #12,070 of 12,086
If I'm not mistaken those are the Sash Tres planars in your pfp? Do you think that purchasing those and the closed/semi open back cups would be a better decision.
Hi, yes those are Tres 16 ohm version. I ordered the full set, including the semi-open cups that still lie in their box.... I consider the stock open version so balanced that I never felt the urge to try the cups so as far; as I am concerned probably those are not needed or essential. Personal opinion, obviously :)

Mar 21, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #12,071 of 12,086
Just picked up a pair of TH-X00 Mahogany from Ebay - love the sound. Deep bass, not overwhelming. Crispy treble and thinnish mids but I can live with that. Shame the pads are so hard and painful I get face ache almost immediately.

I've got a few pairs of AE softer pads that I'll roll once I get some 3D printed attenuators.

Waiting for some connectors then I'll MMCX balance them.

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:46 PM Post #12,072 of 12,086
Tried some AE knockoffs of the Brainwavzs HM5 angled pads - lovely fit but loss of that sweet sweet subbass (probably due to increased pad depth) and elevated treble at the limit of comfort. Tried flat leather internally perforated pads, similar but boomier midbass. Tried a pair of DT770 velour I had hanging about, good fit but again loss of subbass and elevated treble.

Waiting on a pair of D2000 copy pads and those attenuators.

Starting to get used to the stock pads - so far the best sound.

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #12,073 of 12,086
Tried some AE knockoffs of the Brainwavzs HM5 angled pads - lovely fit but loss of that sweet sweet subbass (probably due to increased pad depth) and elevated treble at the limit of comfort. Tried flat leather internally perforated pads, similar but boomier midbass. Tried a pair of DT770 velour I had hanging about, good fit but again loss of subbass and elevated treble.

The genuine leather version of these pads have been best aftermarket ones that I've found. I use them on my D2k and my X00 PH. They have a similar effect on the frequency response as the old J$ leather pads. I little extra bass (add some attenuation rings to really boost it and get +10db bass over stock for some basshead fun, lol), a bit less shout in the midrange, all without boosting the treble. No, not the same sound as stock, but I prefer the change, personally as it's more in line with what I thought they would sound like based on people's descriptions. Additionally, they are much more comfortable and won't flake after a few years.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832854343529.html

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #12,074 of 12,086

Back when I had the TH-X00 Mahogany, I used ZMF Eikon pads. Great combo in my opinion, but those pads are $69.99 plus shipping these days.

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #12,075 of 12,086
The genuine leather version of these pads have been best aftermarket ones that I've found. I use them on my D2k and my X00 PH. They have a similar effect on the frequency response as the old J$ leather pads. I little extra bass (add some attenuation rings to really boost it and get +10db bass over stock for some basshead fun, lol), a bit less shout in the midrange, all without boosting the treble. No, not the same sound as stock, but I prefer the change, personally as it's more in line with what I thought they would sound like based on people's descriptions. Additionally, they are much more comfortable and won't flake after a few years.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832854343529.html

I think these are the ones I bought. If not, I'll get these as well.

Back when I had the TH-X00 Mahogany, I used ZMF Eikon pads. Great combo in my opinion, but those pads are $69.99 plus shipping these days.
If Zack comes to CanJam London I'll take my THX00 to the show and try them out. He should have some T50RP cups for me as well....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back