Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 20, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #9,331 of 12,086

They really are this pale, unfortunately
redface.gif
[...]

Here's a picture on its own. Does it still look pale to you?

Yes, it does.

Maybe you got a one-of-a-kind oak wood TH-X00. 
biggrin.gif

Nah, it looks like mahogany, however really pale indeed.

That's what mine looks like:

It's got a somewhat brighter tone under strong and bright artificial light but is like that in real life (a little darker actually as the photo was also illuminated with a quite bright light source).

I would have been a bit disappointed about the darker tone if I hadn't known about it before I ordered it, hence I was really surprised about how pale yours turned out (honestly definitely too pale for my tastes).

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #9,332 of 12,086

I would have been a bit disappointed about the darker tone if I hadn't known about it before I ordered it, hence I was really surprised about how pale yours turned out (honestly definitely too pale for my tastes).

I was certainly a bit shocked and disappointed at first when I got them, but I guess I got used to it. That darker tone on yours is more like what I was expecting.

Oh well, at least they sound great!

Dec 20, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #9,333 of 12,086
Maybe part of a cost saving measure for them was to not be very picky with wood coloring.

Dec 20, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #9,334 of 12,086
It would be interesting to see measurements of the th-x00 the way that audeze does. Being a closed cup it seems like variations in wood should have a larger effect on the sound. By variations of wood I mean not only the type(purpleheart, mahogany, ebony) but the variations within each of the types of wood. Even though each wood type has different charictaristics, how much variation is there due to genetics. 

Does anyone know what types of ebony and mahogany were used? African, Brazilian, gaboon, genuine....

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #9,335 of 12,086
eh, the simplest solution is simply rotating the foam and giving them some burn in time along with softening up the pads.  If the issue still persists, cup swapping is probably up next.

I hear the opinions of many believers and non-believers of headphone burn in. Some headphones seem to have more agreement on burn in results positively affecting the signature. For the THX00, I don't recall this headphone having a burn in following, but I may be mistaken. Is the suggestion for these headphones physical burn in of the drivers is real or is this the more head burn in variety? I can't imagine head burn in being a big factor here because this signature is so fun, but I can see how some might take some getting use to for this much bass goodness.

Dec 20, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #9,336 of 12,086
I hear the opinions of many believers and non-believers of headphone burn in. Some headphones seem to have more agreement on burn in results positively affecting the signature. For the THX00, I don't recall this headphone having a burn in following, but I may be mistaken. Is the suggestion for these headphones physical burn in of the drivers is real or is this the more head burn in variety? I can't imagine head burn in being a big factor here because this signature is so fun, but I can see how some might take some getting use to for this much bass goodness.

I like to think of them as shoes. Mostly depends on the shoe. A stiff shoe, like a dress shoe, won't get that much softer. A tennis shoe on the other hand can be broken in and softened up quite a bit. Different opinions come from people making generalizations about the majority of shoes theyve worn. There is no right or wrong answer. The materials and designs are too complex to say for certain.

That being said, O Daiko japanese drums sound really cool with these!

Dec 21, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #9,337 of 12,086

The general consensus is that bio dyna drivers show a larger than normal change due to burn in. And some
Of it is just your own brain getting used to it as well.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #9,339 of 12,086
  What do you use to clean the cups ? The glossy finish tend to attract fingerprints and such.

I just use a lint free cloth.  Same one I use to clean my glasses...

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #9,340 of 12,086
What do you use to clean the cups ? The glossy finish tend to attract fingerprints and such.

I use guitar cleaner. It works great, but I only use it because I have it laying around anyway.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #9,342 of 12,086
I have yet to see an in depth analysis between the TH-X00 wood variants. I have a feeling that the Purpleheart's will eventually be the one sought after in the long run.

There has been several? Some have even included the emu variants as well. My personal preference is Teak > ebony > rosewood > mahogany > purpleheart > magnesium > plastic. Granted the D2000 and TH600 weren't exactly the same headphone. But I thought I'd throw them in for fun anyway.

Dec 21, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #9,343 of 12,086
There has been several? Some have even included the emu variants as well. My personal preference is Teak > ebony > rosewood > mahogany > purpleheart > magnesium > plastic. Granted the D2000 and TH600 weren't exactly the same headphone. But I thought I'd throw them in for fun anyways.

Well they must be hard to find as I have been browsing these forums, watching Youtube video's from the likes of Innerfidelity etc.

But it seems like I am at the right address by asking you. I absolutely enjoy the Purpleheart edition but I am searching for a bit more timbre in the upper midrange. Are the Teak/Ebony that more balanced in that region in comparison to the PH's that it's worth getting another variant?

I don't want to dampen or mod the headphones as I am loving the unique wood resonances. Which version would you recommend to me :)

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #9,344 of 12,086
  Well they must be hard to find as I have been browsing these forums, watching Youtube video's from the likes of Innerfidelity etc.

But it seems like I am at the right address by asking you. I absolutely enjoy the Purpleheart edition but I am searching for a bit more timbre in the upper midrange. Are the Teak/Ebony that more balanced in that region in comparison to the PH's that it's worth getting another variant?

I don't want to dampen or mod the headphones as I am loving the unique wood resonances. Which version would you recommend to me :)

well, any of them would be an improvement on the Purpleheart's upper midrange, as the purpleheart is by far the most scooped at 3-4kHz.  The Teak is the most balanced and has the most even mid range.  After the teak, rosewood probably has the next most even midrange, followed closely by the ebony.  Ebony has the most even bass.  Teak has the most extended, smooth, non peaky treble.  Ebony's and rosewood's treble are pretty even.  Mahogany and purpleheart are a bit spiky in the treble, but not bad by any means.

Now, all that said, I don't think it's worth getting another variant, as in describing these differences, it makes them seem much larger than they are.  Regardless of wood, these headphones all sound 95% the same (unless you got an off copy or something).  

To me, they are all very subtle variations.  Purpleheart is a slightly more fun, slightly less refined headphone.  More V shaped with a little bit less resolution.  The teak is the most refined.  The ebony and rosewood are sort of the balance point between them.  Mahogany is kind of like purpleheart light.

Some of which you like will come down to preferences.  But there are objective reasons outside of frequency response as to why teak, ebony and rosewood are just a tiny bit better performers.  They ring a little less and have a bit better soundstage and resolution.  Because they ring less, phase and frequency response between the opposite cups is a tiny bit better, leading to very slightly better imaging accuracy.

But yeah, if you love your purplehearts, no reason at all to own another one.  

You can also dampen the metal parts of the driver if you don't want to lose any of the "wood flavor" which will have the effect of cutting just a tad bit of ringing, which will clarify bass and smoothen treble just a touch.  

Dec 21, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #9,345 of 12,086
  How would I go about tightening the screws that hold the cups to the gimbals (I think that's what it's called)?

I'm referring to this:

One of the screws on the right cup of my X00s is slightly loose and has been since I got them. It hasn't been an issue yet but I'd rather not take a chance, as I know this is a common problem with these headphones.

Still wondering if anyone can help with this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back