Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 19, 2016 at 1:57 PM Post #9,301 of 12,087
EDIT: Holy ****, I definitely get the semi-open comments now! They don't isolate well at all and I can hear everything around me (and I was going to use this in my office... might have to rethink that).

EDIT: Comfort after half a day of use... not good. Really bad in fact. Hurts on the top of my head. Quite poor headband compared to the Ultrasone Pro 900 I've been wearing daily for two years now without any issue. :frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2:

While they are semi open and you can hear outside noises, they don't leak sound like you think. More than well enough to use in an office with no issue. Play music at your listening level and put the earpads together...you will hardly hear ANY sound at all from them, unless you listen at rediculously loud hearing damaging levels...

Comfort is not the best with the headband, but it's not too bad to me no issues wearing for hours and hours on end. If you want a horrible headband for comfort try out the Philips A5-PROs...However, the stock earpads on the TH-X00 absolutely suck for comfort.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #9,303 of 12,087
And here I am enjoying the fit and comfort of these headphones.

Yeah, comfort in these seems to be very hit or miss based on head/ear shape. I think they're extremely comfortable, even with the stock pads.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:07 PM Post #9,304 of 12,087
Same here. Well, I can't buy another pair as I already have the Purples and Mahogs and the pound to dollar is in a terrible state at the moment, but I would have been more enticed. Jet black with barely visible wood grain makes it look like plastic to me, I want the wood to show if I am buying woodies. I really like the real life pictures people have posted with a more brown hue, they are much more attactive than expected.

Would love to know how large of a sound difference they are to the PH/Mahog, since I find that the diference between those two minimal.

The difference between the ebony and the mahogany is about the same as the difference between the mahogany and the purpleheart. The purpleheart has the largest hole at 3-4kHz and the largest, wooliest mid-bass. The ebony has the smallest hole at 3-4kHz and the most even bass that extends the lowest. But yes, the differences are subtle for sure.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #9,305 of 12,087
Comfort is definitely a hit-or-miss situation I guess - I have got large ears that I still got to seal under most ear pads and apparently my ears aren't that sensitive to being touched by the pads, however I was really concerned about the TH-X00 not sealing on my ears due to the small openings. This is also why I almost hadn't bought it.

I'm very happy I bought the TH-X00 though, as while my large ears don't fully fit into the opening, the cushions are large enough to still seal just as they should, wherefore I'm getting all of that thunderous and deep bass.
I guess those who have large ears but aren't sensitive to having a smaller part of the ear cushions actually laying on the ears should get a good fit and comfort in the end, just like I did.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #9,306 of 12,087
While they are semi open and you can hear outside noises, they don't leak sound like you think. More than well enough to use in an office with no issue. Play music at your listening level and put the earpads together...you will hardly hear ANY sound at all from them, unless you listen at rediculously loud hearing damaging levels...

Comfort is not the best with the headband, but it's not too bad to me no issues wearing for hours and hours on end. If you want a horrible headband for comfort try out the Philips A5-PROs...However, the stock earpads on the TH-X00 absolutely suck for comfort.

If headband comfort is a concern, you could try putting using the headband for DT770's. This was a common practice with the old Denon DxK's.

Dec 19, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #9,308 of 12,087

This guy knows what he's talking about, the A5Pro headband is atrocious! (Note use of strong description). I have the PH and Mahogany and my PH feels clumsy and loose and the mahogany a bit more snug. I prefer snug and wish there were a way to snug up the PH.

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #9,309 of 12,087

If headband comfort is a concern, you could try putting using the headband for DT770's. This was a common practice with the old Denon DxK's.

Stock headband is not bad to me...quite comfortable, but not like my modded SHP9500 which has changed my perspective on comfort and turned my once very comfortable TH-X00 into not as comfortable cans. Which is why in the near future I will be making a custom leather headstrap with locking 2-piece 3D printed cantilever anchoring pieces that use the adjustment mechanism base of the Fostex/Denon series cans in a brillant manner. And will also take the fake leather, foam, and top/bottom plastic sheets off the headband to show off the adjustment mechanism and stainless band - will need to make a cap for the housing too with the headband junk removed...

The Dekoni lambskin pads came in and as expected are no good for me...smaller hole size than stock with similar to stock slightly-bloated bass sound. Will not be keeping them... MrSpeakers Alpha and ZMF Ori pads (which are nearly identical in dimensions) are probably going to be the ones closest to the J-Money pads in comfort and sound quality, so will be trying them next.

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #9,313 of 12,087
My ears are too big for the stock pads, and it was painful to wear the X00s for longer than an hour or so. I tried using Omni pads, but for me, they changed the sound signature too much. So, I picked up a pair of TH610 pads, and they are working out well. They seem to be almost identical to the X00 pads, but with somewhat larger ear openings. I've used them for almost 10 hours total, and haven't had any pain yet, and the sound hasn't changed noticeably. The 610 pads set me back $70 though, not exactly what I would call a bargain.

*edit* I've been listening to these a lot the last few days, and my ears are def getting sore. Still more comfortable than the stock pads though.

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #9,314 of 12,087
Stock headband is not bad to me...quite comfortable, but not like my modded SHP9500 which has changed my perspective on comfort and turned my once very comfortable TH-X00 into not as comfortable cans. Which is why in the near future I will be making a custom leather headstrap with locking 2-piece 3D printed cantilever anchoring pieces that use the adjustment mechanism base of the Fostex/Denon series cans in a brillant manner. And will also take the fake leather, foam, and top/bottom plastic sheets off the headband to show off the adjustment mechanism and stainless band - will need to make a cap for the housing too with the headband junk removed...

The Dekoni lambskin pads came in and as expected are no good for me...smaller hole size than stock with similar to stock slightly-bloated bass sound. Will not be keeping them... MrSpeakers Alpha and ZMF Ori pads (which are nearly identical in dimensions) are probably going to be the ones closest to the J-Money pads in comfort and sound quality, so will be trying them next.

I tried the Alpha pads and did not like the sound. It added a hollow sound and lowered the bass level. Also they made my ears sweat.

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #9,315 of 12,087
  My ears are too big for the stock pads, and it was painful to wear the X00s for longer than an hour or so. I tried using Omni pads, but for me, they changed the sound signature too much. So, I picked up a pair of TH610 pads, and they are working out well. They seem to be almost identical to the X00 pads, but with somewhat larger ear openings. I've used them for almost 10 hours total, and haven't had any pain yet, and the sound hasn't changed noticeably. The 610 pads set me back $70 though, not exactly what I would call a bargain.

Where did you get yours from? I ordered mine from B&H but it seems like it may take a while because they're back ordered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back