Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 17, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #9,287 of 12,087
Gentlemen, is there life after X00?
What would the next step be? ZMF? or maybe the new giant Sony?

Depends on your taste, but IMO the new giant Sony Z1R is awesome in some way even it pricing is too LOL....even after 900 I was still seeking for more, but when I have my Z1R, he answered most of my needs

Dec 17, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #9,289 of 12,087
Btw, massdrop didn't pull photoshop. That's just the effect of studio lighting on a glossy finish. It tends to enhance contrast.

Dec 17, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #9,291 of 12,087
Lawton recently had some cups made from pure ink black Gabon ebony. Classified it as their museum grade stuff, and only had one board of it to start out with.
So it does exist. It's just exceedingly rare and not commercially viable for that reason. And even this new drop is just unsold stock from the original purchase order (hence the fast turnaround.) This discussion on the various types of ebony has been geeky in a good way. But I'm just extremely happy that they're smoothing out quite nicely during the burn-in period and I'm already loving the EBs with just about every genre/artist I can throw at them. Given the limited run nature for the EBs, I'm super grateful to have had the opportunity to buy a pair.

Dec 17, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #9,292 of 12,087
I just noticed that the position of the foam disc was changed on the ebony, based on the pictures on Massdrop. It looks like the disc is in the position referred to as 2/stock plus by Whitigir in the TH-900 EZ-simple mods thread.
Can someone confirm that the disc position is actually changed on the ebony?
If this is the case, I wonder how much of the sound change is from the wood and how much is from the disc placement.

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #9,295 of 12,087
I just got my TH-X00 mahogany,, within past few days ,
its a nice headphone ,, i think it is more tonally balanced than my TH-900,

BUT there is a huge emphasis in the BASS , even the TH900 doesnt have ,
so i EQ it and here is the result i feel that give the most smooth transetion
between bass and mids ,, without any congestion and still has a lot of bass ..

Foobar2000

Dec 17, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #9,296 of 12,087
How would I go about tightening the screws that hold the cups to the gimbals (I think that's what it's called)?

I'm referring to this:

One of the screws on the right cup of my X00s is slightly loose and has been since I got them. It hasn't been an issue yet but I'd rather not take a chance, as I know this is a common problem with these headphones.

Dec 17, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #9,297 of 12,087
I just noticed that the position of the foam disc was changed on the ebony, based on the pictures on Massdrop. It looks like the disc is in the position referred to as 2/stock plus by @Whitigir in the TH-900 EZ-simple mods thread.
Can someone confirm that the disc position is actually changed on the ebony?
If this is the case, I wonder how much of the sound change is from the wood and how much is from the disc placement.

Intentionally or not, we know those foam discs are not glued, and while it appears they generally can fix into place by themselves, I would add it is not impossible they can be touched by the pads and hence rotated together with pads when you rotate the pads for adjusting or installation/uninstallation.

The foam disc on my left cup is rotatable this way, that means whenever I rotate the left pad, the disc position changes. And honestly I never notice a sound difference between my right and left cups...
Not saying the EZ mods are hoax, but maybe the effect could be so subtle you won't notice carelessly, like the change of cup woods.

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #9,298 of 12,087
I was wondering about that. Have lumberers harvested that deep black ebony to the point of extinction? Seems like it just doesn't exist anymore.
That's what I've gathered. Or at least the pure black stuff results in a lot of wasted lumber, and that's not profitable anymore.

If anyone is really after jet-black, please be advised they make paint in that colour now. The cups have finish on them anyway.

Dec 19, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #9,299 of 12,087

Mine (SN# 00008) are pretty darn black. My pictures are pretty close to what mine look like IRL. Not sure how the stock they used varied by SN#.

Well, as the person probably most vocal about the color in this thread, I finally retrieved mine from the post office.

I was person 59 to order according to the website and i got SN 212, and yes, black levels are acceptable. Could be better, but not worth returning them over.

Might take a picture at a later date and give some sound impressions (first out of the box reaction, bass levels acceptable, but quite sharp highs).

EDIT: Disclaimer on the color. I'm in Norway and it's winter here so it's really bloody dark, despite office lighting. I might get a different impression of the color when summer arrives. Shining the iPhone flashlight on the phones does make some brown appear, although there's actually quite a nice "shimmering" effect to that which doesn't stick to photos...

EDIT: Holy ****, I definitely get the semi-open comments now! They don't isolate well at all and I can hear everything around me (and I was going to use this in my office... might have to rethink that).

EDIT: Comfort after half a day of use... not good. Really bad in fact. Hurts on the top of my head. Quite poor headband compared to the Ultrasone Pro 900 I've been wearing daily for two years now without any issue. :frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2:

Dec 19, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #9,300 of 12,087
If massdrop picture didn't look black I would have bought some ebonys the dark brown looks nice to me I didn't want deep black. I have mahogany's now.

Same here. Well, I can't buy another pair as I already have the Purples and Mahogs and the pound to dollar is in a terrible state at the moment, but I would have been more enticed. Jet black with barely visible wood grain makes it look like plastic to me, I want the wood to show if I am buying woodies. I really like the real life pictures people have posted with a more brown hue, they are much more attactive than expected.

Would love to know how large of a sound difference they are to the PH/Mahog, since I find that the diference between those two minimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back