Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jul 19, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #7,606 of 12,086
Hi, can you tell me, where did you order ? TH900 pads

I got it here: https://www.moon-audio.com/fostex-th900-replacement-earpads.html

Jul 19, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #7,607 of 12,086
http://www.head-fi.org/t/619181/list-opinion-amp-recommendations-for-fostex-denon-headphones/180#post_8852275 This post here got alot of useful informations, I wonder if the X00 falls into the same case as the Denon since they are pretty similar.

Thanks for the info, very interesting 

Jul 20, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #7,608 of 12,086
Given the high sensitivity of the headphones, they really don't need a highly powerful amp.

I'm using mine directly out of my AK100ii, with 2/3rds of the volume, and it's just fine. I didn't feel that external amps added much value.

Jul 20, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #7,610 of 12,086
After some curiosity and research into the differences between the X00s and 900s, I decided to try to add some polyfill (harvested from an unsuspecting pillow) in the cup chamber of the X00s since the 900s have it. Not 100% sure on what this does sound wise, I know for speakers this is done to dampen the rear wave which would otherwise pollute the sound. The result on the X00s? Well, I have neither a measuring rig or another pair to A-B them against, but it almost seems like the soundstage is "bigger" from what I remember. Maybe a hair better depth and less in-head staging. Its not a crazy big difference, my Primes still clearly beat them in staging and imaging as before, but it feels like the sound is beginning to wander more from intimacy and closer towards what I perceive as believable staging. I'll have to experiment with the amount stuffed in there and the empty space left for the upper driver vent, but I think this was a positive change so far.

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #7,611 of 12,086
Hey everyone. I'm selling some barely used 500RP pads if anyone is interested. They are the same shape, but much softer than the ones that come on the X00.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:50 PM Post #7,613 of 12,086
Just FYI, I'm selling a PH th-x00 from the first PH drop and will be shipped on Aug within U.S. Thanks
etysmile.gif

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #7,614 of 12,086
Just FYI, I'm selling a PH th-x00 from the first PH drop and will be shipped on Aug within U.S. Thanks:etysmile:

Pretty good for whoever feels like they missed out and much prefer the PH's look and frequency response. All you need to do is ask MD to change the address on the purchase and it will go straight to the buyer.

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #7,616 of 12,086
Been looking for a new pair of headphones to complement my current rig (ATH-M50 and 1964 V6 CIEMs), and am considering taking the plunge and joining the Ebony drop. I don't have any source/DAC/amp other than my phone, the HTC 10, which for what its worth sounds much better and more powerful than most other smartphones on the market. The TH-X00 looks to have the correct impedance and sensitivity to be driven well through a portable player, but the fact that it terminates in a 1/4" plug seems to indicate that Fostex/Massdrop definitely intended this headphone to be paired with a dedicated DAC/amp. I've seen a few people say they use their TH-X00s with portable players, but do you all feel that its worth it to buy a $500 headphone like this without better source gear?

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #7,617 of 12,086
Been looking for a new pair of headphones to complement my current rig (ATH-M50 and 1964 V6 CIEMs), and am considering taking the plunge and joining the Ebony drop. I don't have any source/DAC/amp other than my phone, the HTC 10, which for what its worth sounds much better and more powerful than most other smartphones on the market. The TH-X00 looks to have the correct impedance and sensitivity to be driven well through a portable player, but the fact that it terminates in a 1/4" plug seems to indicate that Fostex/Massdrop definitely intended this headphone to be paired with a dedicated DAC/amp. I've seen a few people say they use their TH-X00s with portable players, but do you all feel that its worth it to buy a $500 headphone like this without better source gear?

I play mine straight out my iPhone all the time. It sounds fine. Can it sound better? Sure. But straight out of your phone it is absolutely going to blow the doors off your AT M50. Just do yourself a favor and get it reterminated to be like 4ft with a 3.5mm plug. Don't try to use it with your phone and an adapter.

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #7,618 of 12,086

My Note 4 and iPad Mini 2 could drive them directly just fine, and even better out of my DX90. Definitely a lot better than M50, I think it just slighly harder to drive than M50 IIRC. If you want to use adapter, use one with extension cable and ditch the Monoprice one it came with. I used mine with Grado mini adapter and works much better. Or better, just reterminate it like fjrabon suggested.

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #7,619 of 12,086

I have the TH-X00 Mahogany from the first drop, and often listen to them straight out of my iPod...at my desk usually because of the cable length...I also use the Grado 1/4 to 1/8 adapter.  You will not likely go back to your ATH-M50.  In my opinion the first priority should be to get the best headphones you can afford (with your current source gear in mind, of course) and upgrade the other parts of your system as funding allows.

Jul 22, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #7,620 of 12,086

This is my opinion on your reasoning, I would get the TH-X00 Ebony for now and worry about the rest of your audio chain later, the TH-X00 is easy to drive and as others have noted will be quite good straight from your phone so down the line you can always upgrade your DAC/amp if you feel the need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back