Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jun 9, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #6,841 of 12,086
  Well worth it. I had a M50x and the X00's blow it out of the water, especially for the music you listen to. The Fii010k should be fine.

Thanks! Might decide to get one from ebay or put in a order on massdrop then!

This would make sense from a manufacturing point of view.

Quote:
The TH-X00 should be quite a bit better, just remember that they are not built like a tank, I would never carry them in a backpack unprotected while the M50x is a fairly sturdy headphone and can take the bumps without a case

Will do. Planning to use it mostly for in-home use at my PC with a headphone anchor. 

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #6,842 of 12,086
@gbatemper, FYI, the Emu is coming out with removable cables, when they will available is unknown.  Hope these come out with removable cables but its not a problem to mod them.  My biggest issue the long wait for the product to be ready and the long shipping times.

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #6,844 of 12,086
  I'm not really in any rush, would it be worth waiting for the Emu's to come out?

If you don't want to do any mods then the wait would be worth it.  As someone posted a little earlier they are working on the removable cables and should have an announcement at the end of the month.  When they might be available is only speculation at this time.  Fostex has released the TH-610 and TH-900 mk2 with removable cables in the pass few months if you don't want to wait, but they cost a bit more.

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #6,846 of 12,086

Well worth it. I had a M50x and the X00's blow it out of the water, especially for the music you listen to. The Fii010k should be fine.

Thanks! Might decide to get one from ebay or put in a order on massdrop then!

This would make sense from a manufacturing point of view.

Quote:
The TH-X00 should be quite a bit better, just remember that they are not built like a tank, I would never carry them in a backpack unprotected while the M50x is a fairly sturdy headphone and can take the bumps without a case

Will do. Planning to use it mostly for in-home use at my PC with a headphone anchor. 

I also find the stock ATH-M50s to be a little uncomfortable after an hour or so of listening. From the comments I've read here, the TH-X00 should be a major improvement in comfort alone.

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #6,847 of 12,086
The pads are nice no problems at all... overall these headphones just destroy anything else I have heard for electronic music tbh.

treble is smoother than D2000. The midrange is good as well and the bass is great. Very impressed!

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #6,850 of 12,086

I also find the stock ATH-M50s to be a little uncomfortable after an hour or so of listening. From the comments I've read here, the TH-X00 should be a major improvement in comfort alone.

To be honest the TH x00 or any higher end full size headphones, will be much better than the M50... the M50 really are not that good IMO, they are just "ok", they do not sound that good, it is just people writing reviews of their first pair of good headphones. "wow m50 are so good compared to low end headphones or gaming headset" etc etc.

Even at that bracket there are a few others that I think sound better, but HP like TX00, 1540, HD650, hifiman etc etc. are just much better.

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #6,852 of 12,086

To be honest the TH x00 or any higher end full size headphones, will be much better than the M50... the M50 really are not that good IMO, they are just "ok" and "durable", they do not sound that good, it is just people writing reviews of their first pair of decent headphones. "wow m50 are so good compared to low end headphones or gaming headset" etc etc.

Even at that bracket there are a few others that I think sound better, but HP like TX00, 1540, HD650, hifiman etc etc. are just much better no contest.

While I agree with you that the M50 is not the best sounding, in its price range they are above average and a great value IMO.  If they were so bad why would they still be made and still recommended by those who have high end gear?  Another thing to consider is that most consumers are playing low quality mp3 so spending the $400+ to get a TH-X00 or HD-650 just doesn't make sense for them and then you have personal taste, some actually like the sound of the M50, while most on head-fi probably don't care for it, this is not the market that they are designed for.

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #6,853 of 12,086
Jun 9, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #6,854 of 12,086
  While I agree with you that the M50 is not the best sounding, in its price range they are above average and a great value IMO.  If they were so bad why would they still be made and still recommended by those who have high end gear?  Another thing to consider is that most consumers are playing low quality mp3 so spending the $400+ to get a TH-X00 or HD-650 just doesn't make sense for them and then you have personal taste, some actually like the sound of the M50, while most on head-fi probably don't care for it, this is not the market that they are designed for.

Yeh fine just giving my opinion on them, they are decent for how much they are and not bad... just personally I don't even think they are the best headphones in that bracket.  Hell even the UE6000 which can be had for about 35GBP on ebay are pretty good.

Anyway I really like these TH x00, for electronic music they are very good, certainly a lot better than the D2000 I had previously which compared to these sound very cold and "V" shaped, with spitty treble. These still have a bit of that harshness, but not a big problem and I like the TX00 a lot more than the D2000.

Still prefer my 1540 for some types of music / songs and for general / all round use, but these X00 have an addictive sound.

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #6,855 of 12,086

Yeh fine just giving my opinion on them, they are decent for how much they are and not bad... just personally I don't even think they are the best headphones in that bracket.  Hell even the UE6000 which can be had for about 35GBP on ebay are pretty good.

Anyway back on topic I really like these TH x00, for electronic music they are just amazingly good, certainly a lot better than the D2000 I had previously which compared to these sound very cold and "V" shaped, with spitty treble. These still have a bit of that harshness that comes with these biodynamic drivers, but not a big problem and I like the TX00 a lot more than the D2000.

Still prefer my 1540 for some types of music / songs and for general / all round use, but these X00 have an addictive sound and make me want to listen to them more.

I have the SRH-1840 and TH-600 and like you the TH-600 has an addictive sound for some genres of music but the 1840 is still a better all around headphone, I like it more than the HD-650 since its easier to drive properly compared to the HD-650.  I have a TH-X00 on order but still not sure if I want to wait so long, might just get a used TH-900 or Stax SR-507

Users who are viewing this thread

Back