Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
May 31, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #6,706 of 12,086
  While I haven't seen impressions of the DarkVoice specifically, I do remember that the overwhelming opinion of using the X00s on tubes was that it resulted in an exaggerated lack of bass control. 

I think its more the design of the tube amp, the DarkVoice being OTL would not match up with low z headphones but hybrids like the Lyr2, Liquid Glass would probably work quite well.  I'm still waiting for my TH-X00 but have a TH-600 and they sound really nice on my Ember and Lyr2, a little bright on my Asgard2.

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #6,708 of 12,086
Yes! After a few weeks, I can finally start getting hyped now that the drop ended. I don't have the money to buy multiple cups and pads and all that, so I'm just hoping these end up being a good step better than my M100's, and I can shut down the search for my non-open endgame headphone for a few years. The wife also hopes this. Lol. This will probably be a shot in the dark, as it's not a very popular amp, but does anyone know how well the Vamp Verza will pair with these? It's the only amp/dac I currently own, so I'm hoping it will be pair up nicely.

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #6,709 of 12,086
I'm wondering when they will ship. 
atsmile.gif

I assume by the end of this week, as it says "when the drop ends". Good thing the first 600 of us who joined the current drop (which should be the 3rd, not counting the Purpleheart, if I am not mistaking) don't have to wait until September.

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #6,711 of 12,086
Yes! After a few weeks, I can finally start getting hyped now that the drop ended. I don't have the money to buy multiple cups and pads and all that, so I'm just hoping these end up being a good step better than my M100's, and I can shut down the search for my non-open endgame headphone for a few years. The wife also hopes this. Lol. This will probably be a shot in the dark, as it's not a very popular amp, but does anyone know how well the Vamp Verza will pair with these? It's the only amp/dac I currently own, so I'm hoping it will be pair up nicely.

They are a good step better than M100. Another level. :wink:

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #6,712 of 12,086
They are a good step better than M100. Another level. :wink:

Nice! I have always liked my M100's, but recently heard a few other sets of headphones and started getting that itch again. Somehow went from looking for a neutralish, open pair, to finding these. It seemed to tick every box (minus the stupid fixed cable that will have to be rectified at some point) that I would want in my price range. That, and I know the HD600/650's are much easier to find than these, so that option is always on the table. It's going to be a long week...

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #6,713 of 12,086
Nice! I have always liked my M100's, but recently heard a few other sets of headphones and started getting that itch again. Somehow went from looking for a neutralish, open pair, to finding these. It seemed to tick every box (minus the stupid fixed cable that will have to be rectified at some point) that I would want in my price range. That, and I know the HD600/650's are much easier to find than these, so that option is always on the table. It's going to be a long week...

M100 is a good portable option for its price. But if you compare the sound to X00s, they are boomy, muddy, less detailed and refined.
If you like your M100, you will be much happier with X00 than HD6x0.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #6,714 of 12,086
  Anyone using the DarkVoice 336se OTL with the TH-X00?

J​ust spent the last couple of hours running the TH-X00 through my tube amp . My amp uses the same tubes as the 336se , single 6sn7 driving a single 6as7
While conventional wisdom says this is not ideal for driving a low impedance headphone I have not noticed any problems . Switching between the tube amp and my Violectric 181 in se mode the tubes seem just fine . Differences are what I would expect with ss vs tubes . Tubes are softer in the treble and mids are forward while the ss amp is overall cleaner and more extended in the treble . Bass is strong and well defined from both amps .  

Jun 1, 2016 at 10:20 AM Post #6,715 of 12,086
Speaking of hybrid tube amps, if any of you guys are thinking of getting one, send me a PM.   I have Garage1217 Project Solstice (+ an assorted set of 9 tubes) that I have been meaning to list for sale.  I'm located in Canada, so Canadians can get a break on shipping/customs.

Jun 1, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #6,716 of 12,086
Quick question, given the relatively low impedance of these headphones, what's a good amp match? I have a Matrix M-Stage, and it's served me very well, but with an output impedance of 5 ohms I'm worried that it's not the best choice. Thoughts?

Jun 1, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #6,717 of 12,086
  Quick question, given the relatively low impedance of these headphones, what's a good amp match? I have a Matrix M-Stage, and it's served me very well, but with an output impedance of 5 ohms I'm worried that it's not the best choice. Thoughts?

From what I've found 5 is fine.  Lower is better, but it's not a huge deal at 5 ohms.  You'll gain a bit faster, more articulate bass with a sub 1 ohm amp, but it's not night and day difference, and in fact some people actually seem to like the boomy bass that a 5-10 ohm output impedance amp can give.  However, if you're after the highest speed, articulation, lack of distortion, driver control that this headphone can offer, you want a high quality solid state amp with sub 1 ohm.  

Jun 1, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #6,718 of 12,086
From what I've found 5 is fine.  Lower is better, but it's not a huge deal at 5 ohms.  You'll gain a bit faster, more articulate bass with a sub 1 ohm amp, but it's not night and day difference, and in fact some people actually seem to like the boomy bass that a 5-10 ohm output impedance amp can give.  However, if you're after the highest speed, articulation, lack of distortion, driver control that this headphone can offer, you want a high quality solid state amp with sub 1 ohm.  

So the Magni2U is a good choice then? It has a 0.2 output impedance,but the m9xx is 0.08, is there a noticable difference in sound quality between them?

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #6,719 of 12,086
From what I understand the M9xx has the better Dac, a much better Dac, but the Magni 2U is a stronger Amp.  The m9xx is an all together package, a small form factor, and a very awesome display / multi-functional knob with built in DSD.  So, the M9xx is the overall better package, but not always readily available for purchase, because Massdrop.  Massdrop just needs a non-groupbuy store on top of the groupbuy one, that is just with lots of partnered stock.  They'd make a killin'!

Jun 1, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #6,720 of 12,086
Also!  Has anyone gotten the Purplehearts and standard TH-X00 side by side and had a listen?  I'm very curious!  Also curious on their comparisons to headphones like the DT1770, Ether C, or ZMF's.  Any information is met with plentiful thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back