Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 12, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #5,986 of 12,086

Joined drop for purplehearts and ... dropped...4-5 months is too long :wink:
Already joined last drop for mahogany and it seems they are less than month away. I hope I want regret dropping from purplehearts. I wish we could listen them both before making any decisions... 

lol, I was torn between joining or not mainly because of the wait time, but decided to join anyway, at times instead of thinking bout work, I think bout joining the drop or not.

unfortunately we can't test both as no retailers could possibly have this on demo.

I google around to find out how the freq response change in the purple hearts will affect the sound, looks like the purple hearts will have more clarity between the bass and mids transition and smoother but more extended highs then the mahogany.

I think this is good for my preference.

I think the looks more then make up for it even if I like the sound of the mahogany more, the purple cups is just too pretty to look at.

Apr 12, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #5,987 of 12,086
Considered the $40 cases (like Pelican) and opted for this instead...$4...and about $6 for enough egg crate foam for the bottom of four such set ups.  Keeps them dust free and is just about perfect size.  Also bought some 1/2" foam sheets to line the sides, just haven't go around to it yet.  Not meant to be a transportable case...just use it at home.  I have learned the hard way that dangling headphone cables are too tempting to the feline residents of my home.  They haven't figured out how to get these cases open...not yet, anyway.

Not a bad idea! And cheap too!
I usually put mine back in the original packaging when using other headphones.
But I'm looking for a way to transport them. I'd like to use these at work but I'm afraid of scratching the cups during transport. The lacquer on the TH-X00 isn't very resistant...

Apr 12, 2016 at 6:52 AM Post #5,988 of 12,086
It would depend on what the conditions are where you are at? if you and dogs and cats? children?  For me in Hawaii where the humidity is a little higher I just leave them out on a media rack, on my listening table or on my desk.  Our dog got tangled up in the cables when he was a puppy so he doesn't go near them now.  I usually use the AC when it get muggy or hot, so far haven't had any problems.

No animals at home but a 3 year old boy and my headphones are very much afraid of him! :D

Storing them correctly is really crucial! I have the beyerdynamic "bag/case" that came with the T90 or DT880 for example. It fits the TH-X00 nicely but its too big for transport. That's why I was wondering if the new DT hardcase is better suited for this purpouse.

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:14 AM Post #5,989 of 12,086
No animals at home but a 3 year old boy and my headphones are very much afraid of him!
biggrin.gif

Storing them correctly is really crucial! I have the beyerdynamic "bag/case" that came with the T90 or DT880 for example. It fits the TH-X00 nicely but its too big for transport. That's why I was wondering if the new DT hardcase is better suited for this purpouse.

Sorry I can't help with how to transport them since I don't take most of my headphones out.

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #5,991 of 12,086
No animals at home but a 3 year old boy and my headphones are very much afraid of him!
biggrin.gif

If you want a case for transporting the TH-X00, then I recommend the Pelican case, or something similar.  The case available on the ZMF website is similar, and available for $40 in the US if I recall correctly.  I have seen one of these and they are well built.  I would think you would be able to find something locally, as these types of cases are fairly common for transporting electronic instruments, cameras, etc.  Generally these come with foam inserts that can be somewhat customized to suit your specific needs.  As I said in my earlier post, I was not looking for a case for transporting the headphones...just in house storage.  I like the idea of hanging the headphones nearby for easy access, but I like the idea of keeping them away from the cats (first priority), and free of dust, better.

Apr 12, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #5,996 of 12,086
Asked the below question in the massdrop and no one answered yet.

Please someone comment if you listen to them.

Where does X00 ranks among AH-D2000, AH-D5000, AH-D7000,TH600, and TH900?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #5,999 of 12,086
I use this case:  

http://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Protection-Beyerdynamic-Sennheiser-Ballistic/dp/B00ENO322C?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

It's tough, but still has a little flex.  It stores the headphones nicely and keeps them ding free-- and still has enough room for my AK240 and Chord Hugo between the cups.

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #6,000 of 12,086
Link please?

eBay is cheaper btw

Link from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Headphones-Carrying-Accessories-Audio-Technica-MDR-7506/dp/B00F2YKJS2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

I use this case:  

http://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Protection-Beyerdynamic-Sennheiser-Ballistic/dp/B00ENO322C?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

It's tough, but still has a little flex.  It stores the headphones nicely and keeps them ding free-- and still has enough room for my AK240 and Chord Hugo between the cups.

This one look nice too !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back