Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 10, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #5,956 of 12,089
@WillBright, are you planning to launch a new drop of the mahogany version soon ?

Please
wink.gif

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #5,958 of 12,089
I miss the pros of NH, but I can't justify the price difference.

I am hoping X00 to have a little bit more opened and more spacious upper mid range and treble than NH.
In that case I'd probably keep them over X2 despite of the price difference.

While it appears easier to make enjoyable headphones in closed form under low tier, things start to go reverse when we approaching mid-fi.
If you are willing to accept the roughly fact that closed headphones have their inherent weakness that it is going to pay more efforts to make them beyond good than opened headphones, perhaps you could justify more on the premium.

Some insights:
http://www.head-fi.org/newsearch/?search=premium&resultSortingPreference=recency&byuser=fjrabon&output=posts&sdate=0&newer=1&type=all&containingthread%5B0%5D=788776&advanced=1

That said, if you never bother to have your headphone closed then there might be no reason to go after higher-tiers closed headphones.

EDIT: I forgot the Nighthawk is generally considered overpriced (so was TH900 and TH600 though). I believe that was partially due to its innovations and partially... to AudioQuest let the honorable engineer experiment on this oddity for too long that they had paid him too much in years for nothing
tongue.gif
 (there was an open story about how AudioQuest allowed him to try whatever he wanted for an indefinite time)

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:23 PM Post #5,959 of 12,089
Id be interested in a purplehearts version with the option of the 1.5 tesla 900 drivers.

Is this a possible mod to carry out?

Or even considered by massdrop?

Possibly can be done by aftermarket . I doubt Fostex would want to drop their flagship drivers in a cheaper package, then how would they carry on with their th900 ? Use it themselves ?

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #5,961 of 12,089
Possibly can be done by aftermarket . I doubt Fostex would want to drop their flagship drivers in a cheaper package, then how would they carry on with their th900 ? Use it themselves ?

I wondered if massdrop had thought of offering the optional upgrade at a price more in line with the th900, although this would prob increase production costs and I can also see why fostex would prefer to maintain exclusivity of the 900. Still, folks can dream..

Apr 10, 2016 at 4:53 PM Post #5,962 of 12,089
Is the TH X00 going to be a huge upgrade from my PSB M4u1?

I don't have those cans but a 250$ can versus a 449$ and with woods, chances are it's an upswing upgrade. You should go onto the Massdrop site and check Z's review. He also reviewed quickly headphones in the mid-price category like yours, including the Oppo PM-3 and some others. He classified those cans at the lower end of the audiophile market.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #5,965 of 12,089

That would be amazing, mahogany is such a beautiful wood, the color would be striking. How about with a detachable cord?

Detachable cord is an easy mod and many have already done it, they probably don't do a detachable cord due to the increase in price, its much easier to keep development cost down by using existing design and stock.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #5,967 of 12,089
Just adding a detachable cord is not that expensive hey charge another 50$ other than that that's still the same cans but with different woods.

I think that they really tried to keep the price as low as possible so it looks like a great bargain, adding the $50 would push it to $500 where it would start to compete with many other headphones and make it not as appealing to bargain hunters.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #5,968 of 12,089
I think that they really tried to keep the price as low as possible so it looks like a great bargain, adding the $50 would push it to $500 where it would start to compete with many other headphones and make it not as appealing to bargain hunters.

449 versus 499? I don't know but that still sounds like a bargain to me plus you can make your own balanced cables.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #5,969 of 12,089
So i joined on the Purplehearts.I really hope these will be my end game headphones.I have the M50x now,and i have read around reviews that the TH-X00 are way better than the M50s,so thats a good thing i guess.Now i have the Fiio E10k,and have been looking for an upgrade.What is a good amp/dac that pairs well with these?I am considering the Schiit MMU stack,or the m9xx if it drops again ot MD.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #5,970 of 12,089
449 versus 499? I don't know but that still sounds like a bargain to me plus you can make your own balanced cables.

Don't hold your hope on aftermarket cables, if they are ever going to offer detachable configuration, it would most likely be the proprietary connector TH900 MkⅡ and TH610 has. Otherwise Foster has to establish a new production line merely for Massdrop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back