Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 8, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #5,926 of 12,086

Well from what I've observed most guitars have a lot of body around 150-500hz, and the drop is barely at 500hz. So it may not be too bad, just a slight distance in harmonics 

Now that I think about it, the Purplehearts probably won't be "better" or more appropriate for rock/metal than the Mahoganies in any area other than bass. It could be somewhat track dependent though because of the different peaks and troughs. Purplehearts seem a bit more smooth/refined and bassy though. Probably more soundstage cause of the midrange drop.

You probably can't go wrong with either unless you need that higher low midrange, then Mahoganies. 

I'm another one that wouldn't be happy if the electric guitars were recessed.  But if they're found in the 150 - 500hz range, then the graph (assuming that the purple line is for the Purplehearts) shows that the Purplehearts may offer a more forward presentation than the mahoganies in this range.  

But I'm not sure how to reconcile this graph with the statements found in the Purpleheart Massdrop description:

"...The lower midrange is decreased by ~5 dB, and while the mahogany version had a slight peak at ~600 Hz, the purpleheart has a smoother climb from 500 to 1000 Hz. The midrange proper is essentially identical to that of the mahogany, the upper midrange is ~2 dB less throughout, and the highs are slightly more emphasized. Peaks and valleys are positioned differently than on the mahogany, but their magnitude is similar. As for the super highs, while the mahogany falls off at ~14 kHz, the purpleheart maintains presence through that range."

To me, I'm reading that the Purpleheart lower midrange is ~5 db lower than the mahogany; and that the Purpleheart midrange proper is identical to the mahogany; and that the Purpleheart upper midrange is ~2 db lower than the mahogany.

Where am I misreading all of this information?

Thanks for the clarification!

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #5,929 of 12,086
Latest shipping date for Mahogany version is now 3 days earlier than the original date. Production is complete. :)
Massdrop update email said everyone should get their Mahogany X00 by 5th of May, if not sooner.
Next update in 2 weeks. :)

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #5,934 of 12,086
Bestula have you any idea how much import duties will be to the UK?
Hi, I was in on the 1st drop of mahoganies and if I remember correctly it was £65!!! Keep your eye on the tracking and as soon as you see them hit the UK call customs with the ref no and pay the duty, as the letter informing me they were here and needed paying for didn't turn up for another 8 or 9 days!!!! They are slow in informing customers by snail mail.
I hope this helps?

Apr 9, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #5,935 of 12,086
It's not too late for me to cancel my order...would I be much better off with a set of used TH900's?

Not taking into consideration the emotional stress of having to wait till August
wink.gif

Good question and if they are the same price I would go with TH-900 any day.  Also the wait until August is just way too long
frown.gif

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #5,937 of 12,086
It's not too late for me to cancel my order...would I be much better off with a set of used TH900's?

Not taking into consideration the emotional stress of having to wait till August
wink.gif

I love the sound of my TH600 and TH-X00 Mahogany and I was going to try and catch 'em all with the TH-X00 Purpleheart and TH610.  My wife (the sane one in the family) asked me why do I want to own 4 versions of the same headphone?  

So I'll be selling my TH600 and TH-X00 Mahogany soon and buying the TH900.

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #5,938 of 12,086
Damn. Guess I gotta start scouring the trade boards...lol.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIW, I have a TH-600 and have heard the TH-900 a few times and did comparisons, there are differences (it they are worth the price difference is another thing and is up to the individual) but I would just hate my self if I ever scratched the finish of the TH-900 that I went with the TH-600.  I may still get a TH-900 someday but I was thinking of trying these TH-X00 just to see if they could replace my TH-600.

I love the sound of my TH600 and TH-X00 Mahogany and I was going to try and catch 'em all with the TH-X00 Purpleheart and TH610.  My wife (the sane one in the family) asked me why do I want to own 4 versions of the same headphone?

So I'll be selling my TH600 and TH-X00 Mahogany soon and buying the TH900.

Do you consider the TH-X00 and TH-600 to be close enough in sound that owning one or the other would cover the type of sound  they are known for?

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #5,939 of 12,086
  FWIW, I have a TH-600 and have heard the TH-900 a few times and did comparisons, there are differences (it they are worth the price difference is another thing and is up to the individual) but I would just hate my self if I ever scratched the finish of the TH-900 that I went with the TH-600.  I may still get a TH-900 someday but I was thinking of trying these TH-X00 just to see if they could replace my TH-600.

Do you consider the TH-X00 and TH-600 to be close enough in sound that owning one or the other would cover the type of sound  they are known for?

Yes, the TH600 and TH-X00 Mahogany are close enough you could get by with one or the other.

Apr 9, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #5,940 of 12,086
Hi, I was in on the 1st drop of mahoganies and if I remember correctly it was £65!!! Keep your eye on the tracking and as soon as you see them hit the UK call customs with the ref no and pay the duty, as the letter informing me they were here and needed paying for didn't turn up for another 8 or 9 days!!!! They are slow in informing customers by snail mail.
I hope this helps?

thanks for the info, not as bad as I feared :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back