Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 7, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #5,911 of 12,086

You're overplaying the differences, they'll be subtle at best between the woods and can be changed using different pads. No one knows which is better, they'll both be good. I'm using some pads off ebay for my TH-X00 and I prefer them, they take away a bit of bass but add soundstage and clarity for me.

PM-3 kinda bores me with metal, it's not bad but TH-X00 is way more fun. Like I said in the other thread vocals are much clearer on the TH-X00. PM-3 is quite congested in comparison with its small soundstage. PM-3 is quite thick and dry which makes guitars sound decent, but I prefer them on the TH-X00 with more sparkle.

Just wanna be sure before dropping in the money and wait for approximately 5 months, maybe other's can chip in on this too?
I'm sensitive to treble so more sparkle doesn't always good for me, and 5 months wait is like super long for me. 

Apr 7, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #5,912 of 12,086
 Just wanna be sure before dropping in the money and wait for approximately 5 months, maybe other's can chip in on this too?
I'm sensitive to treble so more sparkle doesn't always good for me, and 5 months wait is like super long for me. 

I would imagine that the Purplehearts would be better for you based on these measurements.

Apr 7, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #5,913 of 12,086
  Sorry if this has been asked before but I ran a search and didn't seem to find the answer.  I'm on the TH-X00 Purpleheart drop (from Mahogany) but also noticed that there was an E-MU Teak/Rosewood/Ebony before as well.  Just wondering if anyone here knows what drivers are used the E-MU's and if the TH-X00 is the same?  Would be interested to know which one is the 'higher' grade headphone.

Check the first pages of E-MU Teak's discussion thread at Massdrop for an extensive conversation.

Apr 8, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #5,916 of 12,086
Just received a second hand TH-X00 and it is simply amazing. Bass is hard hitting and sound stage is pretty wide to my ears. Also, It doesn't leak as much as I expected it to. Pretty much satisfied so far :D

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #5,917 of 12,086
Just received a second hand TH-X00 and it is simply amazing. Bass is hard hitting and sound stage is pretty wide to my ears. Also, It doesn't leak as much as I expected it to. Pretty much satisfied so far :D

What source did u use to listen?
If spotify desktop. I suggest u to buy £5 Equalify Pro.
My TH600 bass goes deeppppppppp as hell without sacrifing vocals.

Damn good! You should try if u love bass :wink:

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #5,919 of 12,086
I like the FR graph of the mahogany more than the PH. The critical midrange has less dip and the bass of the mahogany I owned with Alpha pads measures more like the PH with increased subbass along with a bigger Soundstage which the cup change won't affect.

Also I like the Fostex logo on the PH a lot though. It looks like the one on the TH900 but without the silver flake. I would pay more for a PH withe silver or gold flake applied to logo. It would look very sexy, maybe a little over the top but better than a giant red B on the side of your dome.

Apr 8, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #5,920 of 12,086

I would imagine that the Purplehearts would be better for you based on these measurements.

problem is idk how the dip in the midrange will affect the electric guitar sound, which is my favourite sound, bass for sure will be good eitherway

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:18 AM Post #5,921 of 12,086

problem is idk how the dip in the midrange will affect the electric guitar sound, which is my favourite sound, bass for sure will be good eitherway

If you like the electric guitar sound then I would suggest a Grado, its my go to headphone for classic rock and rock and most acoustic guitar music

Apr 8, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #5,923 of 12,086
  If you like the electric guitar sound then I would suggest a Grado, its my go to headphone for classic rock and rock and most acoustic guitar music

Well from what I've observed most guitars have a lot of body around 150-500hz, and the drop is barely at 500hz. So it may not be too bad, just a slight distance in harmonics 

Now that I think about it, the Purplehearts probably won't be "better" or more appropriate for rock/metal than the Mahoganies in any area other than bass. It could be somewhat track dependent though because of the different peaks and troughs. Purplehearts seem a bit more smooth/refined and bassy though. Probably more soundstage cause of the midrange drop.

You probably can't go wrong with either unless you need that higher low midrange, then Mahoganies. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back