Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 26, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #5,671 of 12,086
Yeah. I was talking about average forum members. Not Massdrop owners.

How can I not offer an opinion if I know how the wood sounds and nothing else has changed between the two models?

That FR graph that was posted as I was typing reflected what I described almost exactly.

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #5,672 of 12,086
This is an interesting discussion. We all talk about "synergy" between amps and headphones, things of this nature - this would definitely apply to headphone cups and drivers. Rosewood is an oily, softer wood known for thick, dark tones. That could be an incredible offset to a bright driver, a fantastic choice to further thicken a deep driver, or a horrible choice depending on what you were going for. Some people want to the cups to impart nothing. What sound are you after?

Good question!! Rich, luscious tones are what I would be looking for. Not necessarily lows or highs, but I think it would be rare to come across a combination that would cover the full spectrum of noise. I am a great believer in finding the right synergy with equipment, and its interesting to look and consider the different qualities a natural substance like wood has on tone and balance.

I found a nice diagram below that charts the different qualities.

Mar 26, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #5,678 of 12,086
  lol, i tried to delete my stupid comment, but you quoted me too fast :p 

eek.gif

beerchug.gif

Mar 26, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #5,679 of 12,086
What happened was I realized someone could say try listening to music with no mids, only bass and treble, and see what you think, and I realized I would have no good comeback.

So, I have to say it myself first. 
confused_face.gif

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #5,681 of 12,086
Going back on topic, I'm looking forward to, in the future, being able to listen to the differences between the Purpleheart and Mahogany TH-X00, and find out which model sounds more preferable to my ears.

Mar 26, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #5,682 of 12,086
Wonder if there is some light purple staining on these purpleheart cups to let them age a little better

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #5,684 of 12,086
Wonder if there is some light purple staining on these purpleheart cups to let them age a little better
That's the colour of the wood itself! Very nice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back