Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 26, 2016 at 1:09 PM Post #5,656 of 12,086
Hi guys I have something to ask.

Would these headphones be a better value over the TH-900? I really don't like harsh treble as I prefer to listen louder and longer without fatigue. I did some research on this thread and I'm really concerned about the quality of the bass! Right now I have the HD-650 playing through and NFB-15.32 and the sub-bass is not quite there (compared to my DN-1000 iem's - they are definitely lacking, and sometimes the 650's gets fatiguing at high levels as well!).

My question is - should I get the TH-X00 for the value over the TH-900? I mean I wan't some quality headphones, but if the TH-X00 (Purple Heart) is only a few steps back on the bass presence as the TH-900 - I can't justify spending an extra 800$ on the TH-900 (though boy I'd wish I could hear em(own em?))

Anyways.. I'm relatively new to this hobby and like I said I only have the NFB-15.32 and HD-650 for measure right now -- I enjoy me some good bass, and having trouble over the price performance -- I guess I want the TH-X00 to be as good as the TH-900? I guess I'm looking for some reassurance on the bass of this thing, since I like treble, just not fatiguing levels.

Any elaboration on this would be great -- thanks

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #5,657 of 12,086
  Hi guys I have something to ask.

Would these headphones be a better value over the TH-900? I really don't like harsh treble as I prefer to listen louder and longer without fatigue. I did some research on this thread and I'm really concerned about the quality of the bass! Right now I have the HD-650 playing through and NFB-15.32 and the sub-bass is not quite there (compared to my DN-1000 iem's - they are definitely lacking).

My question is - should I get the TH-X00 for the value over the TH-900? I mean I wan't some quality headphones, but if the TH-X00 (Purple Heart) is only a few steps back on the bass presence as the TH-900 - I can't justify spending an extra 800$ on the TH-900 (though boy I'd wish I could hear em(own em?))

Anyways.. I'm relatively new to this hobby and like I said I only have the NFB-15.32 and HD-650 for measure right now -- I enjoy me some good bass, and having trouble over the price performance -- I guess I want the TH-X00 to be as good as the TH-900? I guess I'm looking for some reassurance on the bass of this thing, since I like treble, just not fatiguing levels.

Any elaboration on this would be great -- thanks

Bass on X00, 600 or 900 will be much better that it is on HD650.
Mids however are probably better on your Senns.
In highs there is not much of a difference. Fostex in general is probably more sparkly, while 650 is smoother and more laid back.
I personally do not think 900 is $800 better than X00.

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #5,658 of 12,086
  You can divide it into two if you prefer. £100-500 and £500-1000.
But I have seen many people preferring £150 headphones over £800 ones.
£500-1000 headphones in general are better than £100-500 headphones. But not individually.
I have seen enough examples of preference to say the difference is not as obvious as you first think (under £1000).
I have no experience with £1000+ headphones, so I can't confidently say anything about that.

I have far more segments than that.  100-200, 200-400, 400-800, 800 to 1500 then under 3000.

I have seen quite a number of 1000+ examples and in most cases the difference can be quite large.  You may or may not like the sound sig but generally there is a big difference in quality (both sound and construction) between 150 cans and 800 ones.

YMMV, IMHO, yada,yada yada

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #5,659 of 12,086

I have far more segments than that.  100-200, 200-400, 400-800, 800 to 1500 then under 3000.

I have seen quite a number of 1000+ examples and in most cases the difference can be quite large.  You may or may not like the sound sig but generally there is a big difference in quality (both sound and construction) between 150 cans and 800 ones.

YMMV, IMHO, yada,yada yada

Sure.
For years I thought the same, that 100-200, 200-400, 400-800 are completely different categories.
In the last few months however, especially after trying X2 vs Nighthawks I changed my mind.
Anything I heard between £100 and £500 imo is personal preference.
And many reviews, opinions and head-fi posts make me think personal preference is not just between £100 and 500, but rather between £100 and 1000.

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #5,661 of 12,086
should look up the acoustic properties of tonewood. From what i read purpleheart is tighter than mahogany.
Coming in as a former bass player, I do think the purpleheart cups will have a significant impact - I'm familiar both woods and what they do to the sound.

Mahogany is known for being a warmer sounding wood with muted highs, healthy low mids, and a shy sub-bass. Purpleheart is one of the heaviest woods out there, as solid as a rock. Dry low mids, cellar deep subs, and a solid, present, well extended treble.

Those descriptions are in terms of bass guitar tone wood sounds, but I think it'll apply to headphones as well. The description on the Massdrop page jives with what I already know about purpleheart - that bit about the resonances on the CSD being gone is 100% true.

Sure, it's not a lot of wood, but relative to the size of the driver, it's pretty significant.

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #5,662 of 12,086
Coming in as a former bass player, I do think the purpleheart cups will have a significant impact - I'm familiar both woods and what they do to the sound.

Mahogany is known for being a warmer sounding wood with muted highs, healthy low mids, and a shy sub-bass. Purpleheart is one of the heaviest woods out there, as solid as a rock. Dry low mids, cellar deep subs, and a solid, present, well extended treble.

Those descriptions are in terms of bass guitar tone wood sounds, but I think it'll apply to headphones as well. The description on the Massdrop page jives with what I already know about purpleheart - that bit about the resonances on the CSD being gone is 100% true.

Sure, it's not a lot of wood, but relative to the size of the driver, it's pretty significant.
there was one grado modder here who reported differences in sound from different wood. The size of the grados wood is around the size of a cork. Thx00 has more wood so we should hear some differences too.

Mar 26, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #5,663 of 12,086

whats the best wood to use in your experience? I have heard rosewood guitars that sit head and shoulders above all others

Mar 26, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #5,664 of 12,086
So do you all think the X00ph's are brighter than the X00m's?

*EDIT*

So in Theory or hypothetically do you all think the X00ph's are brighter than the X00m's?

Making sure I Edit this to make sure that I don't "OFFEND" ANYONE. :rolleyes:

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #5,667 of 12,086
whats the best wood to use in your experience? I have heard rosewood guitars that sit head and shoulders above all others

This is an interesting discussion. We all talk about "synergy" between amps and headphones, things of this nature - this would definitely apply to headphone cups and drivers. Rosewood is an oily, softer wood known for thick, dark tones. That could be an incredible offset to a bright driver, a fantastic choice to further thicken a deep driver, or a horrible choice depending on what you were going for. Some people want to the cups to impart nothing. What sound are you after?

Noone has heard the X00ph's. And noone is going to hear it until the 19th of August.

So how could anyone share a firm opinion on it?

He asked what I thought. If the only thing that differs between the two sets is the wood, and I have experience about how that wood sounds, how can I NOT offer an opinion?

Purpleheart will have better extended subs, drier low mids, and a better extended top end relative to mahogany. How much? That I can't speak to. But the description of the differences on the Massdrop website reflect my experiences.

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #5,668 of 12,086
Noone has heard the X00ph's. And noone is going to hear it until the 19th of August.

So how could anyone share a firm opinion on it?

Bruh..... Actually technically they have. Will from massdrop has....

There is a thing that goes well with Audio that a lot of people on these forums need to try and its called Chronic, I don't do it but some of you all really make me want to. that or some type of anti-stressor

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:28 PM Post #5,669 of 12,086
Bruh..... Actually technically they have. At Will from mass drop has....

There is a thing that goes well with Audio that a lot of people on these forums need to try and its called Chronic, I don't do it but some of you all really make me want to. that or some type of anti-stressor

Yeah. I was talking about average forum members. Not Massdrop owners.

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #5,670 of 12,086
This is an interesting discussion. We all talk about "synergy" between amps and headphones, things of this nature - this would definitely apply to headphone cups and drivers. Rosewood is an oily, softer wood known for thick, dark tones. That could be an incredible offset to a bright driver, a fantastic choice to further thicken a deep driver, or a horrible choice depending on what you were going for. Some people want to the cups to impart nothing. What sound are you after?
He asked what I thought. If the only thing that differs between the two sets is the wood, and I have experience about how that wood sounds, how can I NOT offer an opinion?

Purpleheart will have better extended subs, drier low mids, and a better extended top end relative to mahogany. How much? That I can't speak to. But the description of the differences on the Massdrop website reflect my experiences.

I appreciate the answer, I really just asked in theory on the Purplehearts looking at the graphs In your opinion or others if they wanted to chime in, but also didn't know if you may have hear some other cans with the PH Wood

Users who are viewing this thread

Back