Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 13, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #5,326 of 12,086
  I have seen some recent discussions centered around TH-X00 and TH-900. No one can describe how we hear about the sound. So no matter how many reviews we read, we just have to listen to the headphones ourselves to know whether we like them.

To be honest, I wasn't impressed with TH-X00 when I first listened to it. I read a lot of TH-X00 impressions and there were a lot of hypes. However when I actually tried TH-X00 they didn't sound like what I have imagined. I was disappointed by the small soundstage. They sounded congested and there was too much bass. I was going to put them back in the box and to sell it. Then after a couple of listening sessions I started to get used to their sound and have decided to keep them for a while.

Another example was the MSR7. I read Tyll's review and here is what he said,
"Some folks on the forums have mentioned words like "sibilant" or "etched" in their presentation, I would pretty strongly disagree. Yes, they're a bit thin and bright—and let me emphasize "a bit"—and they can be quite intense at high listening levels..."

Well, that's not what I heard about MSR7. The treble was hot and unbearable. It's definitely much more than just a bit thin and bright. I had to return them to Amazon (Warehouse Deal). 

Speaking of the TH-900. When I first listened to them, all the previous reviews and impressions I have read about them were all thrown out of the window. What I felt was spacious, realistic, and sounded like listening to a pair of speakers. It was a quite shocking experience for me. I didn't notice if the treble was too bright, or the mids were sucked out. They are all irrelavant now. All I could hear was the music that sounded so good and so open it's like there was a pair of high quality speakers in the room. I have never heard a pair of headphones like this before. 

So the bottom line is take people's reviews, comments, and impressions with a grain of salt. You will never know what the headphones would really sound like until you can try it youself.

Well said. Perfectly what I had wanted to suggest but didn't have the grace to write in the past few weeks in this thread.
People here were trying too hard to find a definite answer. Sure this hobby is costly and we all want to be careful, but at the same time if there is one truth in this hobby, it is that you can only know by yourself. Don't make light of how our organism and neuron can differ from person to person, and even from time to time for the same person.

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #5,327 of 12,086

Well said. Perfectly what I had wanted to suggest but didn't have the grace to write in the past few weeks in this thread.
People here were trying too hard to find a definite answer. Sure this hobby is costly and we all want to be careful, but at the same time if there is one truth in this hobby, it is that you can only know by yourself. Don't make light of how our organism and neuron can differ from person to person, and even from time to time for the same person.

Alright fair enough, but I am still interested in knowing if there is any physical vibration from the bass notes? Like, is there any vibration sensation coming from the sub-bass?

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #5,328 of 12,086
Alright fair enough, but I am still interested in knowing if there is any physical vibration from the bass notes? Like, is there any vibration sensation coming from the sub-bass?

Since all sound is physical vibration, can you clarify what you mean?
I worry that some people are seeking the full body impact of sound that speakers or live concerts give. If they try to get that with headphones, then they will fail and also damage their hearing as they keep turning up the volume.

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #5,329 of 12,086
Just got a pair of th-x00 and im really liking them except they do not isolate as much as I expected, and as only pair of closed back I really need them to do well in isolation. I was wondering if anyone had the chance to compare the thx00 to something like the pm3 or dt1770 in terms of isolation ability? 

Mar 13, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #5,330 of 12,086
  Just got a pair of th-x00 and im really liking them except they do not isolate as much as I expected, and as only pair of closed back I really need them to do well in isolation. I was wondering if anyone had the chance to compare the thx00 to something like the pm3 or dt1770 in terms of isolation ability? 

Technically the TH-X00 are only semi-closed, thus the poor isolation.

The PM3's are absolutely fantastic for isolation. Haven't tried the dt1770's.

Mar 14, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #5,331 of 12,086
  Technically the TH-X00 are only semi-closed, thus the poor isolation.

The PM3's are absolutely fantastic for isolation. Haven't tried the dt1770's.

Ah that explains it why it does not isolate as well as i thought. 

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #5,333 of 12,086

Since all sound is physical vibration, can you clarify what you mean?
I worry that some people are seeking the full body impact of sound that speakers or live concerts give. If they try to get that with headphones, then they will fail and also damage their hearing as they keep turning up the volume.

And that frame resonance is what most good audio equipments avoid like plague, yet there have been extreme headphones even went on adding motors to provide the physical vibration
basshead.gif

Well by any sensation I would not hesitate to give the short answer: it is capable. But how capable, how far capable and how well capable are all depend. Neurons, sources, songs, pads, head shapes, ear shapes, experience with other headphones.

Note that TH-X00 is intentionally toned down from its original model TH600 for a less fatigue signature, so it is fair that it won't quake like a bunch of specialized bass phones at all times. TH900, PRO 900, SZ2000, beyers; hell, even a 60$ HA-M55X hits harder, but that was all I remember about that headphone.
Nevertheless it won't inherently do it may not mean it cannot do it. It's still essentially the powered TH600 driver. Let me quote one of the early reviews from a genuine basshead to sum it up for me:

I have a review unit of the Fostex TH-X00 on my ears right now coming from an Audio-GD Master-11.

It's worlds more pleasant to listen to than the TH600 for me. The treble is so much smoother and tamed down, even before any burn-in (and the Fostex cans are said to benefit from burn-in).

Bass depth is outstanding. Impact is reduced compared to the TH600, but I'm more concerned with bass potential than stock signature anyway. It's still emphasized over neutral, but would only be offensive if you're afraid of good bass. It's not intrusive at all on mids.

Wow.

Okay, time to check its basshead potential. High shelf of -15dB at 150Hz. Volume up... BAM! My skull is rattling to Wiz Khalifa's "On My Level."

Basshead approved. BIG TIME.

This is the first worthy entry into the basshead can field for a long time.

F.

Buy the hell out of these!

It looks like it will be an eternal debate whether TH-X00 is bassy or thunderous or not due to the gap of its stock signature and its capacity and all of our neurons and ear shapes. And some say that EQ is cheating (me
tongue.gif
), but as long as you care it enough and it can take it...

Personally the sub-bass of TH-X00 in stock form did have been sinking into my heart on a few songs, but I am one that cannot stand the volume of rock concert or dance hall for seconds, so my heart-taking tremble might merely be your decent punch in ear.
Fed with worthy tunes it can hammer, but certainly won't wantonly convert every beat to pound.

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #5,334 of 12,086

Sure, it rumbles quite good in the sub bass area but the mid-bass hump made me have to eq the bass down so I lost a bit of the rumble.

Really enjoying my th-x00 so far. They will do just fine while I wait for the th-1200 which will have the mids and highs of the th-x00 and the bass and detail of the th-900 
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #5,335 of 12,086
The more i listen to this headphone, the more i like it (especially when not ABing against the HD800/HE-X). The TH-X00 is my office can and just listening to fun playlists on spotify the music comes through so lush and detailed with a nice bass quality. 

Makes developing better :) 

Its weaknesses (relatively) show up when i directly compare to my HD800/HE-X but once your ears acclimate and you kinda just listen to the music - its just good fun. 

Mar 15, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #5,336 of 12,086
i like the wood

Mar 16, 2016 at 6:31 PM Post #5,337 of 12,086
I contacted Peterek for a 2.5mm detachable cable mod.  A 10' cable is absolutely insane for my setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back