Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 10, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #5,266 of 12,086
Hello guys, I have a Fostex TH-X00 and Grace design m9xx, my burn in period is about 100 hours. 70hours music and 30 hours pink noise/ frequency sweeps. I don't feel that this headphones have great, big bass. Is like a open back headphone bass. What is the problem with bass? Any ideas to tight up bass.

Really? What headphones are you comparing the bass with? I feel that the bass is pretty crazy - but then again I'm coming from neutral headphones like the HD800/HE-400i.  Even compared with closed backs like the PM3 and MSR7s the bass is much much more impactful. 

My very first headphone was the UE6000 and in active "Beats" mode then the impact might be similar but the texture/quality is much better with the THX00. 

I havent heard Beats or Sony XB1000 or JVC SCZ2000 though

Are you looking for harder hitting bass or to increase the quality (tighten it up)

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #5,267 of 12,086

Really? What headphones are you comparing the bass with? I feel that the bass is pretty crazy - but then again I'm coming from neutral headphones like the HD800/HE-400i.  Even compared with closed backs like the PM3 and MSR7s the bass is much much more impactful. 

My very first headphone was the UE6000 and in active "Beats" mode then the impact might be similar but the texture/quality is much better with the THX00. 

Are you looking for harder hitting bass or to increase the quality (tighten it up)

Interesting. If there is one concrete aspect of a headphone's signature it has to be bass impact and physical vibration. With these polarizing impressions I would say the problem is the DAC/AMP?

Mar 10, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #5,268 of 12,086
  Interesting. If there is one concrete aspect of a headphone's signature it has to be bass impact and physical vibration. With these polarizing impressions I would say the problem is the DAC/AMP?

If the bass is weak or not hitting enough for you - then...i dunno what there is left unless you go to the extreme with the JVC SCZ2000, bass impact wont be beat more but you'll lose out on other aspects. 

Most people who arent really into the headphone/audiophile community really just connect to the bass - things like attack/speed/response/tonal signature/timbre/midrange/etc arent appreciated by everyday people since theyre only really used to Beats or iphone earphones

I dont think its a problem with the dac/amp since the THX00 is very easy to drive imo. A normal schiit stack will be more than enough to bring the thx00 to its potential. 

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #5,269 of 12,086

Being someone with the same pairing as @iMusicLover (m9xx + X00), it's definitely not the DAC/Amp. @q2klepto essentially took the words out of my mouth (also coming from the 400i and MSR7). I can't listen to 5-6 EDM/dubstep songs in a row without developing a slight headache from the bass. It's a "pleasant" headache if you can call it that
tongue.gif
. So like others have asked, what headphones are the X00 being compared to, so we get a better idea of the user's tastes? Some people genuinely crave/are used to more bass quantity than the X00 provides, which is hard for me to stomach but hey "strokes & folks." Also what genres or tracks is he/she actually listening to, as you can sometimes expect bass in tracks that don't really have that much low-end info to begin with. Another more extreme possibility is that maybe there is something wrong with that pair of X00 (or possibly rarer, a malfunctioning m9xx), but that might be jumping to conclusions.

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #5,270 of 12,086

If the bass is weak or not hitting enough for you - then...i dunno what there is left unless you go to the extreme with the JVC SCZ2000, bass impact wont be beat more but you'll lose out on other aspects. 

Most people who arent really into the headphone/audiophile community really just connect to the bass - things like attack/speed/response/tonal signature/timbre/midrange/etc arent appreciated by everyday people since theyre only really used to Beats or iphone earphones

I dont think its a problem with the dac/amp since the THX00 is very easy to drive imo. A normal schiit stack will be more than enough to bring the thx00 to its potential. 

Thank you for your explanation but I actually entered the debate, I don't own the X00 (well, it's not in my hands untill May). I am an experienced listener on the HE-400, probably
best bass control around.
But I will sell the X00's if they don't have an improved physical bass impact in comparison to the DT 770 600ohm premiums I have, those kick really hard already with excellent extension.
But I am looking for a slight improvement of physical bass vibration, does the X00's serve you some lean vibration on your skull dear sir?

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #5,271 of 12,086

I don't heard bass crazy, bass was the weak quantity from first day. Bass quantity easy comparable with my open back Grado SR225 except better bass texture quality on THX00. I tryed now with my Samsung Galaxy S5 and was same quantity/quality bass. Is posible what my headphone pair is defected? Maybe I should contact Massdrop?

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #5,272 of 12,086
I'm quite baffled by MusicLover's perceived lack of bass on the X00's as well. The only time I've heard bass in higher quantity than these was in a car with a 2k watt 15" sub. My old Sony XB-500s (which kicked the schiit out of 1st Gen Beats) don't come close to these fostexes.

I get quite substantial wubs from these cans @The Third and I'm pretty sure I can feel them vibrating on my head when listening to tracks like Mord Fustang's "Flip the Bacon".

Mar 10, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #5,273 of 12,086
  Thank you for your explanation but I actually entered the debate, I don't own the X00 (well, it's not in my hands untill May). I am an experienced listener on the HE-400, probably
best bass control around.
But I will sell the X00's if they don't have an improved physical bass impact in comparison to the DT 770 600ohm premiums I have, those kick really hard already with excellent extension.
But I am looking for a slight improvement of physical bass vibration, does the X00's serve you some lean vibration on your skull dear sir?

Ah then ok - I owned the HE-400 for close to a year as well, and while the 400 has better bass quality (slightly) the X00 has very good bass...surprised me actually at how hard it hit without sounding boomy/muddy

Then again this is coming from the HD800 so my bass impact bar was set pretty low

The X00 has very good quality vibration imo, but dont expect pounding punch you in the chest - i would try to set your expectations low and hopefully be pleasantly surprised. It hits harder than the PM3 and MSR7s for sure and with better quality, but not sure how it compares to something like a Solo 2 or VModa M100

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #5,274 of 12,086
It hits harder than the PM3 and MSR7s for sure and with better quality, but not sure how it compares to something like a Solo 2 or VModa M100

I don't agree. TH hits harder than PM3 but bass quality is quite a bit lower. Try listening to some fast metal like Decapitated's latest album and you'll see that TH lacks the PM3 detail down low.

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #5,275 of 12,086
I have pretty high expectations for this headphone honestly. All the reviews seem to praise this headphone as Bassy and "Fun" and I really hope that's true. I can't believe I upgraded my DAC and amp for a new headphone I haven't received yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back