Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 2, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #4,666 of 12,086
Honestly when you start looking. Start with a nice basic dac amp. Like the massdrop O2+ODAC combo. Cheaper than some and works straight forward. You could go cheaper and get the Schiit fulla portable or CEntrance but that would be down the road

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #4,667 of 12,086
Honestly when you start looking. Start with a nice basic dac amp. Like the massdrop O2+ODAC combo. Cheaper than some and works straight forward. You could go cheaper and get the Schiit fulla portable or CEntrance but that would be down the road

I would avoid the Fulla, simply because it's a 3.5mm output. The included adapter with the THX00, as we all know, is junk.  So, to really get the benefit of the Fulla, you need to add $25ish dollars to the cost to get a good adapter.  At which point there are better options than the Fulla.  If however, you already plan on recabling or buying the adapter for phone usage anyway, sure, the Fulla is a fine product at its price point.

I like the Fulla a lot, but I wouldn't buy it for planned use with 1/4" terminated headphones as a budget move.  I own the Fulla more because of its size (I throw it in my messenger bag when I'm using starbucks as a remote office) than price.  Also I typically pair it with IEMs or my Shure SRH840s.

Also beware with the Fulla that your computer needs to have very clean USB ports, as it has no mechanism with dealing with noisy USB.  It sounds fine on my macbook pro, but it sounds like junk on my friend's budget Dell.

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #4,668 of 12,086

I would avoid the Fulla, simply because it's a 3.5mm output. The included adapter with the THX00, as we all know, is junk.  So, to really get the benefit of the Fulla, you need to add $25ish dollars to the cost to get a good adapter.  At which point there are better options than the Fulla.  If however, you already plan on recabling or buying the adapter for phone usage anyway, sure, the Fulla is a fine product at its price point.

I like the Fulla a lot, but I wouldn't buy it for planned use with 1/4" terminated headphones as a budget move.  I own the Fulla more because of its size (I throw it in my messenger bag when I'm using starbucks as a remote office) than price.  Also I typically pair it with IEMs or my Shure SRH840s.

Also beware with the Fulla that your computer needs to have very clean USB ports, as it has no mechanism with dealing with noisy USB.  It sounds fine on my macbook pro, but it sounds like junk on my friend's budget Dell.

What if he later wants to use the MOJO with these headphones?  Don't use them because of the 3.5mm output?   

I think you miss understand what I am telling him.  This is for in the future when he wants a cheap DAC/Amp

Oh No!  DON'T EVER USE THAT ADAPTOR THAT COMES WITH THE X00!!!!!!  thats trash!

get a grado or sennheiser or even an audeze  adaptor .

Feb 2, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #4,669 of 12,086

So, to really get the benefit of the Fulla, you need to add $25ish dollars to the cost to get a good adapter.  

Subtract $10 from that number for the Senn and Grado options (assuming free shipping)... it's a good thing to have in general as any off the adapters that lack a short tail are junk and put stress on the jack.

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #4,670 of 12,086
  Subtract $10 from that number for the Senn and Grado options (assuming free shipping)... it's a good thing to have in general as any off the adapters that lack a short tail are junk and put stress on the jack.

yeah, I'd buy one, but my ultimate plan is to have the THX00 reterminated to 3.5mm anyway.  Just haven't gotten around to it.  I mostly use it with my m9XX, but I do want to be able to easily use it with my iPhone as well, eventually.  

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #4,671 of 12,086
Oh No!  DON'T EVER USE THAT ADAPTOR THAT COMES WITH THE X00!!!!!!  thats trash!

get a grade or sennheiser or even an audeze  adaptor .

Actually just asked one of Sennheiser retailers here if they have those cable adapters. Looks like Audeze ships internationally and only 26$ with shipping for that adapter, might pick it up if can't find any locally. I'll be needing one to use with the soundcard.
I guess that's not bad price to pay for high quality adapter?

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #4,672 of 12,086
Actually just asked one of Sennheiser retailers here if they have those cable adapters. Looks like Audeze ships internationally and only 26$ with shipping for that adapter, might pick it up if can't find any locally. I'll be needing one to use with the soundcard.
I guess that's not bad price to pay for high quality adapter?

Try amazing international shipping - may be cheaper.  

Cable Adapter Female 1/4" 6.3mm to Male 1/8" 3.5mm Plug 
by Sennheiser 
Link: http://amzn.com/B008JGWY2Y

Grado 
by Grado 
Link: http://amzn.com/B001DK1ZVO

Audeze ¼" to 1/8" stereo adapter
by Audeze
Link: https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/14-18-stereo-adapter

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #4,673 of 12,086
Try amazing international shipping - may be cheaper.  

[COLOR=111111]Cable Adapter Female 1/4" 6.3mm to Male 1/8" 3.5mm Plug[/COLOR][COLOR=111111] [/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]by Sennheiser [/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]Link:[/COLOR][COLOR=111111] http://amzn.com/B008JGWY2Y[/COLOR]

[COLOR=111111]Grado[/COLOR][COLOR=111111] [/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]by Grado [/COLOR][COLOR=111111]
[/COLOR][COLOR=111111]Link:[/COLOR][COLOR=111111] http://amzn.com/B001DK1ZVO[/COLOR]

Audeze ¼" to 1/8" stereo adapter
by Audeze
Link: https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/14-18-stereo-adapter

Says "Price: $14.95 + $13.34 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Finland" for the Grado Adapter, so it ends up being little more expensive than the Audeze adapter.
I assume there's no difference between them so should just go with the Audeze?

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #4,674 of 12,086
Says "Price: $14.95 + $13.34 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Finland" for the Grado Adapter, so it ends up being little more expensive than the Audeze adapter.
I assume there's no difference between them so should just go with the Audeze?

honestly I think the Grado and Audeze are the same adaptor,  they look identical  except for the name stamped on them   but I could be wrong.
any of them will be fine,  they are work exactly the same.

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #4,675 of 12,086

honestly I think the Grado and Audeze are the same adaptor,  they look identical  except for the name stamped on them   but I could be wrong.
any of them will be fine,  they are work exactly the same.

+1... guarantee there is an OEM out there stamping different names... I've seen what looked to be the exact adapter (sans any branding) various places... can't locate an example ATM....

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:40 AM Post #4,676 of 12,086
Since you like Massdrop ..., maybe you should buy this amp instead
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/appj-1502a-tube-headphone-amplifier

Head-fier comments here
http://www.head-fi.org/t/780178/any-opinions-reviews-on-gemtune-appj-pa1502a

why would I do that? or maybe I am wrong and tube amps are good with th x00? and even if so this particular one does not make me feel optimistic :wink:

Feb 2, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #4,677 of 12,086

why would I do that? or maybe I am wrong and tube amps are good with th x00? and even if so this particular one does not make me fee optimistic :wink:

I personally wouldn't recommend that particular tube amp for the TH-X00... you'll want a non-otl or hybrid to avoid dampening and impedance issues.   The TH-X00 sound great on my Lyr with my current favorite tubes (MiniWatt 6922 SQ's)...

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:02 PM Post #4,678 of 12,086
  I personally wouldn't recommend that particular tube amp for the TH-X00... you'll want a non-otl or hybrid to avoid dampening and impedance issues.   The TH-X00 sound great on my Lyr with my current favorite tubes (MiniWatt 6922 SQ's)...

yeap, thought so as well

I was thinking about choosing one from Grace m9xx, Lake People G109A Limited Edition or something from iFi line. 

now there is also a very good offer for burson ha-160 which as far as I know has a very solid bass alongside overall a very good performance, this one could be a sure shot for X00

but on other hand my Yulong D100 as a dac and Teac HA 501 as an amp could be also very nice, but this I am not so sure about it

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #4,679 of 12,086
@fjrabon

can you please advise how m9XX sounds with X00? I saw in your signature that you own both of them? and I also see that you have 400i as well which I do use for everyday listening, would be very interesting to have your opinion on that as well
cheers  

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #4,680 of 12,086
  @fjrabon

can you please advise how m9XX sounds with X00? I saw in your signature that you own both of them? and I also see that you have 400i as well which I do use for everyday listening, would be very interesting to have your opinion on that as well
cheers  

He has a review on both the m9XX and the TH-X00, and has been talking about this pairing since months ago...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back