Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 1, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #4,638 of 12,089
Just heard this tune on the FM in the car grabbing some dinner, anyone that could see how it plays on the TH-X00?

First time my original car speakers could not handle a track lol. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYM-RJwSGQ8

The version you linked "hippie sabotage remix" is recorded at a higher level and introduced some distortion in the bass. The remix sounds like they boosted the bass which in turn moved the midrange and vocals further back. TH-X00 can't hide the warts in this remix.

The original version from the CD sounds much better. The bass is still strong but not distorted and the midrange and vocals are more forward. TH-X00 sounds great with this version.

Feb 1, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #4,639 of 12,089
  Yes, I have both the k7xx and thx00. To my ears the k7xx is not really neutral in the bass. Regarding slam, the thx00 is closed so it will feel like more slam, but considering the k7xx is open it has very good slam to my ears. Anyway, they are both really good headphones, just surprised the k7xx doesn't get more love considering it is so cheap.

The bass stock on the thx00 is a bit muddy to my ears (mid bass anyway), but with alpha pads it is clean up nicely. The k7xx bass is really nice and tight, very enjoyable. I like and use both headphones, and I do find both of them very fun.

I use the K7XX at home and the K553 at work.  Mostly because I don't want my co-workers being bothered by my music.  So for me these TH-X00 would be for home where I don't need isolation.  I'm trying to decide a) if I need 2 pairs at home and b) if I want that second pair to be the TH-X00 - are they a real upgrade over the K7XXs that I already enjoy.  (They look cooler for sure.)

It all comes down to preference honestly. I am a basshead personally speaking. I prefer the TH-X00 as I wanted something to rattle my brain. That said, I do still have a pair of K553's (gave my 7XX to my sister) for classical and jazz.

Interesting.  I view the K553s as being better for music requiring bass, and requiring a closed back.  To me they're a "upgrade" to my ATH-M50s.  I'm trying to picture a reason I'd listen to them over my K7XXs, other than when I need isolation.

Feb 1, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #4,641 of 12,089

sure.  Though I suppose it also depends on what you mean by "music production"

I think, in general, mixing with any headphone is a bad idea.  Tracking doesn't need a good headphone, and usually needs a closed headphone to avoid mic leakage.  editing needs high detail, in which case the HD800, HE560, HE500 are all great.

Do you mean mastering with editing, or just editing a single sound effect?

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #4,643 of 12,089

I use the K7XX at home and the K553 at work.  Mostly because I don't want my co-workers being bothered by my music.  So for me these TH-X00 would be for home where I don't need isolation.  I'm trying to decide a) if I need 2 pairs at home and b) if I want that second pair to be the TH-X00 - are they a real upgrade over the K7XXs that I already enjoy.  (They look cooler for sure.)

Interesting.  I view the K553s as being better for music requiring bass, and requiring a closed back.  To me they're a "upgrade" to my ATH-M50s.  I'm trying to picture a reason I'd listen to them over my K7XXs, other than when I need isolation.

The KXXs are a modified K702 right? I don't know how different the driver build is from the Q701s, but the X00's thrash the Q's in almost every area.

They're clearly faster on busy tracks, have much more detail, are more musical overall, and are extremely fun. As of receiving mine in mid December, my AKGs have officially been relegated to studio work after three years of using them every day. Of course, there's far more soundstage on the AKGs, but given how open they are, that's inevitable. The Qs do have a bit more treble extension, but I've found that could trigger the tinnitus in my right ear to ring louder sometimes, and the X00's have not, even on extremely hot recordings. 

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #4,644 of 12,089

The KXXs are a modified K702 right? I don't know how different the driver build is from the Q701s, but the X00's thrash the Q's in almost every area.

They're clearly faster on busy tracks, have much more detail, are more musical overall, and are extremely fun. As of receiving mine in mid December, my AKGs have officially been relegated to studio work after three years of using them every day. Of course, there's far more soundstage on the AKGs, but given how open they are, that's inevitable. The Qs do have a bit more treble extension, but I've found that could trigger the tinnitus in my right ear to ring louder sometimes, and the X00's have not, even on extremely hot recordings. 

I do like that wide soundstage, I will say....I'm just not sure I need both at this point, and not sure that it's a clear "upgrade".  

Feb 1, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #4,645 of 12,089
  I do like that wide soundstage, I will say....I'm just not sure I need both at this point, and not sure that it's a clear "upgrade".  

IMHO, it's a clear upgrade. I've had several "listening to music for the first time" experiences again, particularly with acoustic guitars which are fantastic on these Fostexes.

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #4,648 of 12,089
what's the best amp/dac under $200 for this headphone?

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:23 AM Post #4,650 of 12,089

I'm going to be that guy and pair the O2+ODAC from MASSDROP. I think its a chill combo for me when listening to live tracks

Is it good for bass too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back