Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 1, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #4,607 of 12,086
Is massdrop fixed on that date or it can change? Whenever i expect something to be shipped to me, alot of times online stores like amazon or ebay never have exact dates, it can be earlier or later than expected. I don't really how massdrop works since im pretty new to it and only brought like 3 items off them.

hard to tell with this one because it has so many moving parts.  Hopefully Will will give you guys a clarified update sometime today.

Feb 1, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #4,608 of 12,086
I'm curious to the people who did the detachable cable mod on their pair have any of the sound affected? Would like to do it on mine when I get it but worried about the sound being affected.

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #4,610 of 12,086
I'm curious to the people who did the detachable cable mod on their pair have any of the sound affected? Would like to do it on mine when I get it but worried about the sound being affected.

If you get the detachable cable modification done and use the same stock internal wiring and stock cable, there shouldn't be any noticeable change in the sound. Since I had PETEREK perform a total modification with regards to the wiring (internal wiring and the headphone cable are DHC Nucleotide), the sound of the headphone changed, but I need to listen A/B with a completely stock TH-X00 and note the differences. Once I do that, my impressions with regards to the A/B listening will be updated in my review of the TH-X00.

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #4,612 of 12,086
oh man I am gona get soooo much hate, but I think the th-x00 are hyped to the moon. They are good headphones, yes! - very good, but everyone made it sound like they beat the crap out of headphones costing 3x 4x 5x times more (open or closed, heck ppl were bring up lcd -2's vs th-x00), that is not the case, seriously. Just speaking sound quality wise, they are not above (comparing a semi closed to open) 560, lcd-x. Again they are very good value, and build it excellent - it just seems that everyone thinks they can be compared to headphones costing several several times more. They are excellent headphones for the 399$ mark, but so are HD 600, X2. 
Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.  

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #4,613 of 12,086
  oh man I am gona get soooo much hate, but I think the th-x00 are hyped to the moon. They are good headphones, yes! - very good, but everyone made it sound like they beat the crap out of headphones costing 3x 4x 5x times more (open or closed, heck ppl were bring up lcd -2's vs th-x00), that is not the case, seriously. Just speaking sound quality wise, they are not above (comparing a semi closed to open) 560, lcd-x. Again they are very good value, and build it excellent - it just seems that everyone thinks they can be compared to headphones costing several several times more. They are excellent headphones for the 399$ mark, but so are HD 600, X2. 

I think the purpose of those comparisions was to communicate the thx00 sound profile relative to well know headphones that lots of people have heard. I have been with this thread from the beginning and I do not feel people implied they were equal or better than more expensive cans. Maybe it was something you read into the comments?

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #4,614 of 12,086

I think the purpose of those comparisions was to communicate the thx00 sound profile relative to well know headphones that lots of people have heard. I have been with this thread from the beginning and I do not feel people implied they were equal or better than more expensive cans. Maybe it was something you read into the comments?

I agree with them being very good at $399, but obviously they're not gonna be giant-killers. I'm not sure if 'everyone' claims they're gonna beat the crap out of other giants, but I do agree that the hype is very very strong with the TH-X00. It does deserve the hype, but it gets overblown sometimes.

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #4,615 of 12,086
Is there a tear-down/cable-mod guide for the TH-X00 anywhere? Thinking of getting some mini-xlr chassis in there and do a proper cable mod...my only worry is damaging the nice laquered cups

Is it easy to take apart the cup/plates?

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #4,616 of 12,086
  Is there a tear-down/cable-mod guide for the TH-X00 anywhere? Thinking of getting some mini-xlr chassis in there and do a proper cable mod...my only worry is damaging the nice laquered cups

Yes and one of the first reviews posted for the TH-X00 on Head-Fi shows how to remove the cups and pads. If you use HiFiMAN SMH connectors, you don't have to cut the cups. Anything bigger than that and you will. That said, someone remarked before that the wood is soft and easy to cut.

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #4,617 of 12,086

The review done by moedawg140, early in this thread, shows a detailed teardown of the headphones for cable replacement.

Skim down through that review to the part about 'How to replace cable' and I think you'll find what you're looking to see.

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #4,618 of 12,086

i think you see similar sentiments up and down this site.  everythings "the best" , "perfect", "magical" "the best ive ever heard".  it can be difficult to wade through the hyperbole.  especially when things are the shiny new toys that people are justifying spending their money on.

Feb 1, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #4,619 of 12,086

Users who are viewing this thread

Back