Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 19, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #4,097 of 12,086
I disliked the HE-400 at first, and after many love/hate swings I have finally come to terms with them; they're fantastic. Does that count? Give it time...

Sounds to me like that was your brain making that assessment. I'm not saying burn in is a myth, it's just that the way others describe these drastic changes has me baffled, sometimes, especially if I happen to have the same headphone under similar amounts of use.

But we all know that audiophile cliché, "we all hear different." 100% of the headphones I've ever owned sounded 99.9% the same after countless hours of use (TH-X00 included). I'm just going by my own experience. I (for one) don't have bat ears so I guess that's a good thing for my wallet :D

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #4,098 of 12,086
mids will change? I don't like vocals screaming sometimes, and is not natural.. trebles is uncontroled, I won't found good clarity. Everything will change in time? Now I plug 2 usb micro cables first to rosette, second to my Galaxy S5

Nah, as far as I've experienced, the mids and treble have not changed, so if you don't like those, and think it's not the source, then I'd say that A: the cans are broken(fairly unlikely), or B:the sound sig wasn't meant for you unfortunately.

Jan 19, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #4,099 of 12,086
Sounds to me like that was your brain making that assessment. I'm not saying burn in is a myth, it's just that the way others describe these drastic changes has me baffled, sometimes, especially if I happen to have the same headphone under similar amounts of use.

But we all know that audiophile cliché, "we all hear different." 100% of the headphones I've ever owned sounded 99.9% the same after countless hours of use (TH-X00 included). I'm just going by my own experience. I (for one) don't have bat ears so I guess that's a good thing for my wallet :D
What you think about my experience with TH-X00, I send this message to one headfier who had TH-X00 and again post to forum. Whats wrong? :D ,,I downloaded JLab burn-in file 10minutes file I don't remeber but is there (PINK NOISE +~1min./SILENCE~1min./BROWN NOISE i don't remeber/SILENCE ~1min./ WHITE NOISE don't remember/SILENCE ~1min. FREQ. SWEEPS and etc...) I JLAB web page they recomended it use for 5 hours. OK I make playlist with 30 tracks and leave headphones. When I back to home from job, S**t I found still sounding... TH-X00 leave for 13hours. I put headphones and found little bit better overall. Listen more Tidal throught only Samsung Galaxy S5 and after about 1 hour, it started shining, every minute I noticed improvements. It was night and day difference. Bass was much more tight, deep, amazing low, with very GOOD SQ. Mids pushed forward, Rich, very natural, full. Treble very smooth, damn instruments separation is WOW, I never hear CLARITY, on my previous hps Grado SR225. Everything sounded WOW. BUT... next day headphones changes... It's like a roll back sound. Back to previous sq, boring, nothing special. I don't tried burn-in with noise, wait for Grace Design m9xx amp/dac and hoped everything will come back..." Whan Grace Design m9xx nothing change, except more bass. I don't want to listen these no more..

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #4,100 of 12,086
What you think about my experience with TH-X00, I send this message to one headfier who had TH-X00 and again post to forum. Whats wrong?
biggrin.gif
,,I downloaded JLab burn-in file 10minutes file I don't remeber but is there (PINK NOISE +~1min./SILENCE~1min./BROWN NOISE i don't remeber/SILENCE ~1min./ WHITE NOISE don't remember/SILENCE ~1min. FREQ. SWEEPS and etc...) I JLAB web page they recomended it use for 5 hours. OK I make playlist with 30 tracks and leave headphones. When I back to home from job, S**t I found still sounding... TH-X00 leave for 13hours. I put headphones and found little bit better overall. Listen more Tidal throught only Samsung Galaxy S5 and after about 1 hour, it started shining, every minute I noticed improvements. It was night and day difference. Bass was much more tight, deep, amazing low, with very GOOD SQ. Mids pushed forward, Rich, very natural, full. Treble very smooth, damn instruments separation is WOW, I never hear CLARITY, on my previous hps Grado SR225. Everything sounded WOW. BUT... next day headphones changes... It's like a roll back sound. Back to previous sq, boring, nothing special. I don't tried burn-in with noise, wait for Grace Design m9xx amp/dac and hoped everything will come back..." Whan Grace Design m9xx nothing change, except more bass. I don't want to listen these no more..

Let's hope you can find a seller in Lithuania then.

Jan 19, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #4,101 of 12,086
As far as the boominess, that will go away with time, but you can accelerate it by playing loud bass heavy music/bass sweep tests. About 1 hr of extremely low freqs will work. It could also be that you're feeding the m9xx with your phone, especially if it's coming from the AUX and not a line out through the micro usb port. Try it with a USB 2.0(or newer) port on a laptop, and use non-streaming sources and see if it persists. I try to not listen to youtube music since it's compressed to pieces.

I'm a firm believer that if one doesn't naturally like a headphone upon first purchase, no amounts of burn in will change that.

PS: Don't come at me

I'm with Change, very rarely has a headphone sounded "better" to me, though fit is important. My W1000X sounded very bass Shy the first time I listened to it, but I adjusted the head band to improve teh fit, an after that it sounded better 

But we all know that audiophile cliché, "we all hear different." 100% of the headphones I've ever owned sounded 99.9% the same after countless hours of use (TH-X00 included). I'm just going by my own experience. I (for one) don't have bat ears so I guess that's a good thing for my wallet
biggrin.gif

Well it's always bass that I hear changes with burn in, The Ether C being the most noteable from what I've heard, my DT 880 also had an increase of bass with burn in. Though it's hard to say, some people have claimed that after around 50 60 horus of burn in in a cabinent or off ears, they noticed an improvement in the sound 

Either way, it seems bass the only variable to drastically change from burn in. At least in my experince 

Jan 19, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #4,102 of 12,086
Has anyone tried the TH-X00 on a "delta-sigma DAC." I mean like the standard D-S ESS Sabre32 we have either grown to love or hate and then compared it to a R2R type DAC?

I am currently not capable of performing that test  because my my Theta, EAD CD1000, and Bifrost MB are R2R or multi-bit chips that don't convert the signal into 1-bit and rearrange it into "32-bit" sound. The only delta-sigma DAC I have now is my HT Omega Claro Halo which uses an AKM4399 and I have made its permanent duty to send S/PDIF out to my Theta.

Not trying to shift the subject, but I have noticed when comparing popular DACs like the Lynx Hilo (a semi-expensive delta-sigma DAC) or Matrix X-Sabre to the R2R lineup I have found them to have that sort of glassy or shiny top end to the high frequency sounds with average mids and excellent bass. These are subtle changes that are more noticeable when demoing for a longer period of time. The better R2R DACs out there tend to have a very natural midrange and bass with less of that false detail in the highs.. but at this expense they tend to sound less detail focused overall.

I am comparing the better-than midrange DACs out there.. not $15000 delta-sigma to $10000 R2R

Just wondering if anyone with more experience than me can share their take on how the TH-X00 sounds on your average to better than average delta-sigma DAC or R2R.

Jan 19, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #4,103 of 12,086
  Has anyone tried the TH-X00 on a "delta-sigma DAC." I mean like the standard D-S ESS Sabre32 we have either grown to love or hate and then compared it to a R2R type DAC?

I am currently not capable of performing that test  because my my Theta, EAD CD1000, and Bifrost MB are R2R or multi-bit chips that don't convert the signal into 1-bit and rearrange it into "32-bit" sound. The only delta-sigma DAC I have now is my HT Omega Claro Halo which uses an AKM4399 and I have made its permanent duty to send S/PDIF out to my Theta.

Not trying to shift the subject, but I have noticed when comparing popular DACs like the Lynx Hilo (a semi-expensive delta-sigma DAC) or Matrix X-Sabre to the R2R lineup I have found them to have that sort of glassy or shiny top end to the high frequency sounds with average mids and excellent bass. These are subtle changes that are more noticeable when demoing for a longer period of time. The better R2R DACs out there tend to have a very natural midrange and bass with less of that false detail in the highs.. but at this expense they tend to sound less detail focused overall.

I am comparing the better-than midrange DACs out there.. not $15000 delta-sigma to $10000 R2R

Just wondering if anyone with more experience than me can share their take on how the TH-X00 sounds on your average to better than average delta-sigma DAC or R2R.

My NFB10ES2 is a Delta Sigma, running an ESS Sabre 9018 balanced configuration, an so is my HM 901, an honestly as Much as I loved the Hifiman HM801 [r2r pcm 1704] the Delta Sigma implimentation in the NFB an HM901 is much better than on the r2r 1704 in the HM801, so that said I enjoy it

How ever I do want a Audio GD Master 11 [4 pcs PCM 1704 pure balanced r2r goodness]  so I would like to upgrade to a fully balanced r2r dac/amp my self 

Jan 20, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #4,104 of 12,086
Well, I opened a wanted ad for some stock pads. If any of you readers switched out pads and have no need for them, please message me with your offer.

Jan 20, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #4,105 of 12,086
  Well, I opened a wanted ad for some stock pads. If any of you readers switched out pads and have no need for them, please message me with your offer.

I ordered stock TH-900 pads from full compass, they won't be here for a couple of weeks as they had to special order them. If I like the TH-900 pads better and you're still in need of the pads by then I'll message you.

Jan 20, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #4,106 of 12,086
What you think about my experience with TH-X00, I send this message to one headfier who had TH-X00 and again post to forum. Whats wrong? :D ,,I downloaded JLab burn-in file 10minutes file I don't remeber but is there (PINK NOISE +~1min./SILENCE~1min./BROWN NOISE i don't remeber/SILENCE ~1min./ WHITE NOISE don't remember/SILENCE ~1min. FREQ. SWEEPS and etc...) I JLAB web page they recomended it use for 5 hours. OK I make playlist with 30 tracks and leave headphones. When I back to home from job, S**t I found still sounding... TH-X00 leave for 13hours. I put headphones and found little bit better overall. Listen more Tidal throught only Samsung Galaxy S5 and after about 1 hour, it started shining, every minute I noticed improvements. It was night and day difference. Bass was much more tight, deep, amazing low, with very GOOD SQ. Mids pushed forward, Rich, very natural, full. Treble very smooth, damn instruments separation is WOW, I never hear CLARITY, on my previous hps Grado SR225. Everything sounded WOW. BUT... next day headphones changes... It's like a roll back sound. Back to previous sq, boring, nothing special. I don't tried burn-in with noise, wait for Grace Design m9xx amp/dac and hoped everything will come back..." Whan Grace Design m9xx nothing change, except more bass. I don't want to listen these no more..
try messing with the eq. I've stopped using my headphone amp and like the way these sound straight from my s6. Good luck

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #4,107 of 12,086
Kinda odd. I find these more comfortable than PM-2 and HD800 on my small head and ears.

Jan 20, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #4,108 of 12,086
These headphones don´t change with burnin. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back