Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 10, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #3,889 of 12,087
"I didn't expect the swap to be as difficult as it was, really needed to stretch the HM5 pads around the rings,"

You are not kidding... I was about to return the pads (2 sets) until I read your post.  

I too ordered the HM5 pads (but they are from MP4Nation); I could not get the pads to fit the Fostex plastic ring.   I contacted MP4Nation and they assured me the manufacturer had not changed the dimension (110 mm by 90 mm).  

I measured the ring and they are about 4-1/8" which translated to ~104.8 mm; in theory they should fit if the pad can be stretched without tearing. I contacted MP4Nation and they promptly sent me this fitting instructions using plastic bicycle tire levers
http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-hm5-velor-memory-foam-replacements-earpads-suitable-for-many-other-branded-large-over-the-ear-headphones-akg-hifiman-ath-philips-fostex/reviews/12191

May I ask what tool(s), if any, that you used? Or as you stated, you just stretched until the pad fits?  Did the Fostex plastic ring warp at all? 

Thank you for your assistance.

Jan 10, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #3,890 of 12,087
  Do you find speech get through better for gaming/moves? 26,5$ and free shipping is certainly no ripoff. As for the bass do you find they are still bassy or have they removed so much bass they are more mid range/treble centric?

Yes speech (and lyrics) come to the front with the hybrid HM5 pads. Mids sound great with them.

Most the sub bass is gone and the treble has become hot.

May I ask what tool(s), if any, that you used? Or as you stated, you just stretched until the pad fits?  Did the Fostex plastic ring warp at all? 

No tools, just my hairy man hands. I had to flex the ring and be very rough with the pads, everything took the punishment fine.

Jan 11, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #3,895 of 12,087

Yes speech (and lyrics) come to the front with the hybrid HM5 pads. Mids sound great with them.

Most the sub bass is gone and the treble has become hot.

No tools, just my hairy man hands. I had to flex the ring and be very rough with the pads, everything took the punishment fine.

Okay looks like maybe to extreme changes I am just after some fine tuning trying to get them on the level of my modded  DX 1000 if possible. Also with my DIY skills I wouldn´t dare excert violence on them on pad change. 

edit: Got news it´s a 2-3 month shipping time for the TH-900 pads from Sweden it looks like. 

Jan 11, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #3,896 of 12,087
I'm back on the stock pads now and the sound is so much more satisfying.

Struggling to understand how they can sound so different.

I've pad rolled with my Hifiman HE-400 and even made some jergpads but all that is nothing compared to the difference with these THX and the hybrid HM5 pads.

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #3,899 of 12,087
I also like the mids of the TH-X00!

I'm excited to hear mine with the new Cable I got for it! 

I've only been using my SE amps, an while my G1217 Starlight is my Favorite SE amp... it's a tube so it doesn't play well with the TH X00

either way, it should REALLY open up once I can go balanced out of my NFB10ES2 

Jan 11, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #3,900 of 12,087
  I'm excited to hear mine with the new Cable I got for it! 

I've only been using my SE amps, an while my G1217 Starlight is my Favorite SE amp... it's a tube so it doesn't play well with the TH X00

either way, it should REALLY open up once I can go balanced out of my NFB10ES2 

Hope so my dx 1000 certainly plays better on my nfb10.32 in balanced mode :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back