Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 31, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #3,631 of 12,086
thank you for your confirmation and your thorough review.

so what is the next step you plan to do? keep or sell?

Quote:

Not sure why you're asking, I don't generally use my Android phone as a music-listening device. I've tried it anyway with some music though and while it didn't sound bad, it wasn't that great either, just ok-sounding.

Technically I'm not using an Aux jack, but the headphone jack on either my laptop PC or on the active multimedia speakers that are plugged into my desktop PC. As I mentioned earlier, the MT220 and MSR7 (and the AT ES7 too, actually, among other headphones I've had in the past before) perform better straight out of my computers' headphone jacks than the TH-X00 does.

My "Head-Fi" rig is separate from both of my computers; I don't use either of them as a music-listening device most of the time, and until recently didn't have a USB DAC either, so it's been important (and will continue to be important) for me to have a headphone that can sound great directly from a headphone jack. Because usually when I plug headphones into one of my computers, it's to watch a movie or play a game—and if it's the latter, and I'm gaming on my desktop PC, then I sure as heck want to use its Sound Blaster card instead of some USB DAC that's not going to perform any game-relevant digital signal processing.

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #3,632 of 12,086
Okay, so I bought a wad of Brainwavs Focus pads (the HM clones here) and I've been putting them on lots of different cans, because I'm a little crazy that way. Anyhow, on the X00s they do make some changes with the midbass and sub-bass, some tightening (and ~1dB loss), which to me is nice, and draw out the treble a bit. Not to the levels of the old D5000, but a little reminiscent of them (you can counter this some with positioning). Mids stay about the same, maybe a shade more dry. What they do well is spread out the sound stage and separate instruments, that's quite noticeable over stock pads. Give em a try, they're pretty cheap and offer an interesting change of pace.

Thanks correctly priced. Have you tried the TH600/TH900 pads as well? My goal is to tame the  bass I tried some EDM but they do the same faults and if possible gain a soundstage if possible. But I think this are closely related. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #3,633 of 12,086
I'm not quite sure I understand your gripe here. Wouldn't every headphone sound much worse directly from the computer's AUX jack? Isn't that why you have a dedicated Amp/DAC setup?

Personally I never use the AUX out anymore and don't understand why someone with a proper rig would.

The gripe is people are talking about their headphone shipment. Who the f care.

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #3,634 of 12,086
Hello,

I'm happy to share my brief comparisons of the TH-X00 vs Beyer T5p vs Denon MM400

Fostex Th-X00 (semi-open) vs Beyerdynamic T5p (closed) :

Lows: Th-X00 has very nice bass that extends to very much lower frequencies, yet still preserving the bass clarity. It sounds more bass heavy than T5p, therefore more fun sounding to my ears. It doesn't sound muddy, despite having more bass.

Mids: Th-X00 sounds slightly reserved in the mids compared to the T5p, vocals aren't as upfront, but not in a bad way, it sounds flatter, and perhaps less fatiguing in long usage. T5p has very good mids, very detailed, therefore Th-X00 loses out on the details when compared to T5p. 

Highs: Th-X00 has very smooth highs, and is milder than the slightly harsh highs on the T5p. Instruments such as Tamborine doesn't stand out as much compared to the T5p. Details are more obvious on the T5p, such as guitar picking, and tamborine hits. 

Width: Th-X00 definitely has a wider stereo image compared to the T5p. Instantly noticeable difference. Things like plucky guitar (Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing) has very nice left vs right imaging. Highly possible that the semi-open design naturally makes the width bigger than full closed T5p.

Comfort: Th-X00 is very comfortable, since its very light and the clamp force is just right. I barely feel it on my head, compared to the T5p's noticeable strong clamp, and also heavier design. The internal width of the T5p gives more space allowance for the ears, however, the Th-X00's pad thickness and softness is like collapsing into a feather beanbag.

Fostex Th-X00 vs Denon MM400 :

Lows: Low frequencies on both are very similar, lows extending to very deep frequencies. I can identify the bass notes (key) on Th-X00 better than the Denon MM400. Perhaps due to the wider sound stage on the Fostex Th-X00, it sounds less cluttered, hence my brain is able to identify the bass key/ notes  clearer.

Mids: Denon MM400 sounds fuller with male vocals as it seems to have more upfront low mids (700Hz) . Th-X00 seems to sound more tucked in, or relaxed, yet the clarity is still great. 

High: Th-X00 has smoother overall highs when listening to instruments like cymbals, although it sounds slightly thinner than the Denon MM400, possibly due to the low mid bump on the MM400. Denon MM400's high are sometimes a bit harsh on guitar. I can listen to higher volumes on the Th-X00 longer than on the Denon MM400 or T5p.

Width: Stereo width on both are very similar, very wide. The Denon MM400 has some of the best width for full closed cans. 

Comfort: I would always get reactions such as "wow these are incredibly comfortable! " from the Denon MM400, however, I can confidently share that the Fostex Th-X00 has superior comfort due to the added depth of the pads. The internal width of the pads are similar, but the added thickness of the Th-X00 makes it feel softer on the head. 

Hope these will help anyone who are considering any of these wonderful headphones. 

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #3,635 of 12,086
Here is my main Armada 

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #3,636 of 12,086
I don't intend to do any modding on my pair either. I love how it sounds with dance, edm, metal..
Its definitely not a jack of all trades phone, and for the other genres that's what my other headphones are for.

Like wise, my LA D5k is modded like crazy an with all of Lawton Mods it's really very balanced now much like my Modded W1000x, the two still have genres they do better with than the other, but I can enjoy the majority of my collection without swapping headphones out. Though according to my mood I may swap from one to another,

I kinda only got the TH X00 to use with the LA D5k with my iBasso PB2 HiRose to Dual XLR Spiltter so I can share music with my fiancee [she really likes the orange color of these too hhhh] 

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:45 AM Post #3,637 of 12,086
just got my hand on this can for 2 days.

you are spot-on on the 3 types of listeners. i am the type 2 and type 3. it is not easy to get a good can for pop and rock music while keeping it refined. 

this can is definitely a good compliment to a more neutral/analytical open can. the bass is just nice.

your review is great. thanks. 

i say, if anyone would like to spend $399 without understanding what is amp/dap/source/transport/flac, they should just buy this $399 and be done with it. this sounds good even from a phone ( as long as the source file is good, or a spotify premium 320kbps quality song ).

for desktop/pc i say an entry level dac ( audioquest dragonfly or any $99-199 dac would be enough for this).

Quote:
  finally getting together my full review on these, but I think a lot of people's expectations for these were weird:

Like there seems to be some people who want these to sound like LCD2's.  They're not planars, they're not going to sound like planars.  I mean I don't even understand that criticism.  It's like criticisizing chocolate ice cream because it doesn't taste like the vanilla you prefer.

Is this an endgame headphone?  For most of us here, no, but that's not really a slam to me.  To me this headphone will appeal to three types of listeners:

1) bassheads looking for their endgame can, that want more refinement than something like the one trick pony darth beyers manage, who either can't deal with the comfort of Audeze or prefer dynamic slam to planar bass
2) audiophiles looking for a basshead can to compliment a more neutral reference headphone.  That's my description.  I think of the THX00 as a neutralhead's dalliance with bassheaddom.  It satisfies the occasional basshead itch, without overly compromising in other areas like many basshead cans do.  
3) The "regular" listener who still has refined tastes, and just wants one really good headphone that sounds good with pop and rock music, and doesn't want to fuss with audiophiledom after that.

Is this a reference headphone?  No, none of the TH series headphones are.  This may be the most neutral, reference-y of all of them, but it's nowhere near what I think of when I hear the word "reference"  They use that word in the description, but in marketing terms reference has come to just mean "expensive" rather than what I think it is supposed to mean, "neutral and transparent" ie a reference point.  I think this is a better headphone than a HD580, but I have no problems calling an HD580 reference, whereas I'd never actually call this reference.  

This headphone is balanced enough to sound good with most everything, but it certainly has strengths and weaknesses.  It goes for a certain sound, and that's okay.  Not everything has to be dead neutral.

It's a very smooth, warm, powerful headphone, while being good, not great, in transparency and speed.  

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #3,638 of 12,086

I can't find the original post that @fjrabon made that you quoted above but I can't think of a better way to describe the TH-X00. If your inventory consists mainly of reference, neutral and/or natural cans, the TH-X00 fills a gap that is more than likely in your line up. It provides a basshead sound without sacrificing most of the reference quality we enjoy.

"audiophiles looking for a basshead can to compliment a more neutral reference headphone.  That's my description.  I think of the THX00 as a neutralhead's dalliance with bassheaddom.  It satisfies the occasional basshead itch, without overly compromising in other areas like many basshead cans do."

Well put.

Is it going to replace my HD600 and DT880? Not even close. However those two cans can't do what the X00 can do either, and its now just important in my line up as the other two.
Well worth every penny.

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #3,639 of 12,086

Well, I'll wholeheartedly disagree with him. The TH-X00 is more fun and engaging than the X2. Bit more sparkle to the treble, just sounds amazing with metal. It is not THAT dissimilar to the X2 in terms of signature, but imo it's better all over. I feel like the TH-X00 is more detailed, not as dark as the X2. Bit more of a 'live' feeling to the music.

+1 to what lvince95 said

I mainly listen to metal/rock but also a bit of everything. Don't think I'll sell the X2 as it's still one of my favourites, but I'd take the TH-X00 over it any day.

Your impressions are likewise well appreciated, marts30.  It appears we all perceive HP sound signature comparisons with our own individual preferences.  I guess I'll just wait for the next TH-X00 massdrop and draw my own conclusions.  In spite of the X2's flaws I've been very satisfied with their performance.  I find myself investigating and enjoying new genres of music that I previously had no/little interest such as EDM, Trance and various Chill Out tracks.

The Fostex TH-X00 wood enclosures certainly looks gorgeous and their semi-closed design will probably make a good complement to my X2 and JVC FX-850 woodie IEMs.  Happy New Year to the Head-Fi community!

Dec 31, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #3,640 of 12,086

It's a very smooth, warm, powerful headphone, while being good, not great, in transparency and speed.  

Very nice, I found it to be... fun as well. A nice compliment to both of my referance cans, 

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #3,641 of 12,086
Finally got mine nearly a month after being shipped...Royal Mail being the weak link in the chain taking 2 weeks to deliver the customs charge notice.

Comparing them with my TH900's I would say they perform extremely well given the vast price difference. I'm not too sure which I prefer overall yet but there are several key differences:

- The THX00 has more forward mids, however they also feel more congested than the TH900. Much better for rock, but worse for acoustic/classical music.

- Bass quality is near enough the same while quantity is very similar however the TH900 presents slightly more sub bass. This may be that the mids are more prominent on the THX00 though, I haven't decided yet

- Treble is very good and the main improvement compared with the TH900 to my ears - gone are the weird treble peaks that were the Achilles heel of the TH900. I was worried that the treble would be too rolled off but that is not the case, however they do lack some air and sparkle compared with the TH900.

- Soundstage is similar width wise, however as I have mentioned before there is a noticeable lack of air in the presentation which gives the THX00 a more in-your-head sound.

- Weight is about the same, however the pads are not quite as comfortable as the TH900 as they fit tighter around the ears. Still very comfortable as far as headphones go though. 

There's definitely not enough difference between the two to warrant me keeping both, so I'll give it another week of back and forth listening before I pick a winner. If you don't have the budget for the TH900 though and only have $400 to spend, these are easily the best headphones I have heard at that price point, beating out the HD-650 by a considerable margin IMO.

Dec 31, 2015 at 4:04 PM Post #3,642 of 12,086
  Finally got mine nearly a month after being shipped...Royal Mail being the weak link in the chain taking 2 weeks to deliver the customs charge notice.

Comparing them with my TH900's I would say they perform extremely well given the vast price different. I'm not too sure which I prefer overall yet but there are several key differences:

- The THX00 has more forward mids, however they also feel more congested than the TH900

- Bass quality is near enough the same while quantity is very similar however the TH900 presents slightly more sub bass. This may be that the mids are more prominent on the THX00 though, I haven't decided yet

- Treble is very good and the main improvement compared with the TH900 to my ears - gone are the weird treble peaks that were the Achilles heel of the TH900. I was worried that the treble would be too rolled off but that is not the case, however they do lack some air and sparkle compared with the TH900.

- Soundstage is similar width wise, however as I have mentioned before there is a noticeable lack of air in the presentation which gives the THX00 a more in-your-head sound.

- Weight is about the same, however the pads are not quite as comfortable as the TH900 as they fit tighter around the ears. Still very comfortable as far as headphones go though. 

There's definitely not enough difference between the two to warrant me keeping both, so I'll give it another week of back and forth listening before I pick a winner. If you don't have the budget for the TH900 though and only have $400 to spend, these are easily the best headphones I have heard at that price point, beating out the HD-650 by a considerable margin IMO.

Are you planning to try switch ear pads on them? Th-900 on the TH-X00 and vice versa.

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #3,645 of 12,086
  Are you planning to try switch ear pads on them? Th-900 on the TH-X00 and vice versa.

Just tried swapping the earpads and wasn't really a fan of either combination. 

Didn't give it much of a go as it was quite obvious I didn't like the sound, but the 900's pads did give the X00 more air as I thought they would but this came at the expense of some of the bass. This was the better of the two combinations however it still lacked something - a bit of excitement - compared with the TH-900.

With the X00's pads the TH900's sound became even more V-shaped, far too much so for my liking so I immediately switched them back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back