Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 24, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #3,421 of 12,086
That's interesting. I'm finding perceived bass quantity to be on and off. Some songs I expect more, and get less, some I expect less and get more. Definitely not as bassy as I expected. I feel like it's the presentation more than anything giving the illusion of more bass.

Then again, mine have almost more sparkle than I'd like so maybe something is up.

I was surprised to hear it the way I do actually... I saw the measurements for the TH-X00 from another site, which looked pretty darn flat, so the amount of mid-bass caught me buy surprise. I think that is what's giving it such a sense of heavy bass. To me it sounds much more elevated there than the graph would suggest. Oh well!

index.php

Dec 24, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #3,422 of 12,086
I was surprised to hear it the way I do actually... I saw the measurements for the TH-X00 from another site, which looked pretty darn flat, so the amount of mid-bass caught me buy surprise. I think that is what's giving it such a sense of heavy bass. To me it sounds much more elevated there than the graph would suggest. Oh well!

index.php

Yea I know what you mean. I'm always careful with scale which is pretty vertically compressed on that graph IMO. There's 5-6dB slide between 50 and 500Hz for example, and 50Hz is over twice as loud as 3-4KHz. Which could explain really elevated bass on some songs. Though as far as I know, that graph doesn't use a standard compensation (correct me if I'm wrong anyone), so there's that too.

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #3,423 of 12,086
TH-X00 with your wooden headphone stand looking gorgeous! I want wooden stand for my new TH-X00. Where I can buy this headphone stand?
smily_headphones1.gif

Hehe it is custom made. My dad helped me build it and I believe we used red oak with a mahogany stain and clear coat of lacquer over the top.

Dec 24, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #3,424 of 12,086

I stumbled upon that same useful and interesting post a while back. In the interest of complete transparency, the user said "Alpha Pads were probably the best of the bunch (excluding stock pads). good punchy bass and treble seemed smoother though the measurements suggest no change." I interpreted the measurements and the user's impressions as being that the stock pads provide the best balance overall, with the alpha pads being the best non-stock he tested...but to each his/her own.

That's sort of what I meant. Best out of the non-stock pads he tested. Looking at the graphs though and judging with my own ears, the Alpha pads are the best IMO just look at that bass

Dec 24, 2015 at 6:08 PM Post #3,425 of 12,086
Alpha pads the best beside the stock? Do all other pads increase the bass emphasis? That is absolutely not what I would want on a pad change :)

Dec 24, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #3,426 of 12,086
Alpha pads the best beside the stock? Do all other pads increase the bass emphasis? That is absolutely not what I would want on a pad change :)

Looks like less bass roll off from the graphs and less peaky upper treble. Also it looks like a slight bump in lower treble compared to stock. According to the OP the differences between Alpha pad and stock weren't significant. But the graphs say otherwise and match what I have heard.

Dec 24, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #3,427 of 12,086

Alpha pads increased the bass (and made it a little flabby).   The TH900 pads and the HM5 made the bass tighter and more controlled.   The TH900 increased the sharpness of the highs by a very small amount, while the HM5 did not change the highs at all (as far as I can tell). 

The TH900 are, for my tastes, the best pads I've tried on the THX00.   I might try the Lawton pads one of these days. 

Dec 24, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #3,429 of 12,086
Alpha pads increased the bass (and made it a little flabby).   The TH900 pads and the HM5 made the bass tighter and more controlled.   The TH900 increased the sharpness of the highs by a very small amount, while the HM5 did not change the highs at all (as far as I can tell). 

The TH900 are, for my tastes, the best pads I've tried on the THX00.   I might try the Lawton pads one of these days. 

Where did you buy the th900 pads? Looked everywhere and cannot find them.

Dec 24, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #3,430 of 12,086
Where did you buy the th900 pads? Looked everywhere and cannot find them.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/252805-Fostex-8560014000

Dec 25, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #3,435 of 12,086
So has anyone tried the TH-500rp pads? They look like the stock pads with a larger ear opening.

TH-X00= TH600 drivers + TH500rp pads + wood cups. Pretty easy formula. I bet if you used TH600 pads, it'd sound almost exactly like TH600 (there might be some differences due to wood cups).

TH600 discontinued, TH500rp has lacklustre sales. You do the math. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back