Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 14, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #2,731 of 12,089
Decided to order some Hm5 hybrids and angled pleather, since after using the TH-X00's and then swapping back to my HE-400's (with angled velour) it made me realize how much I miss that extra ear space (not to say that the TH-X00 pads are not comfortable, since they are fine).

Should be here in a week or so given I picked EMS as my shipping option.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #2,732 of 12,089
People are underestimating how much a pad swap can negatively affect a headphone's sound.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #2,733 of 12,089
People are underestimating how much a pad swap can negatively affect a headphone's sound.

Ah, yes ! Totally :wink:. But what can we do ? If they like what they hear, and comfort with, then that it is. The thing is that fostex made the headphones for the mass, and someone with more specific needs will just have to acquire it by his own :wink:.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #2,734 of 12,089
Well the pads are also more so for my HE-400's and K550's, just figured while I have them coming in I could try them the the X00's just to see if the sound changes are worth the extra space for my ears
redface.gif

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #2,735 of 12,089
I think this is the first phone release I see people clamoring for different pads, it's a bit odd. Head-fi FAD or justified?

I won't lie, even before the drop I ordered in angled hm5 pads but I find the stock pads good enough to not want to try to pad swap.

Dec 14, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #2,736 of 12,089

It was also my understanding that much of the acoustic goodness of this headphone was based in the pad, as it was with the K7XX.
Loving the TH-X00 so much, not clear that a pad swap would be my first order of business.

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #2,738 of 12,089
So i received my th-x00's today, and first impressions after about a an hour of listening on my magni and modi stack are very good, amazing actually. I think they are my endgame tbh. They have better detail retrieval than my beyers and my he-400's without the sibilance that the he-400's sometimes have. They are very balanced, the vocals are lush and airy and smooth. The highs have tonnes of detail without being overwhelming. And then theres the bass. Dat bass. I tell you it will change your life. My god amazing texture with plenty of impact. And its doesnt touch the mids at all.  Very impressed. If your in canada watch out for the brokerage fee though. I had to drop an extra 80$

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #2,739 of 12,089
  So i received my th-x00's today, and first impressions after about a an hour of listening on my magni and modi stack are very good, amazing actually. I think they are my endgame tbh. They have better detail retrieval than my beyers and my he-400's without the sibilance that the he-400's sometimes have. They are very balanced, the vocals are lush and airy and smooth. The highs have tonnes of detail without being overwhelming. And then theres the bass. Dat bass. I tell you it will change your life. My god amazing texture with plenty of impact. And its doesnt touch the mids at all.  Very impressed. If your in canada watch out for the brokerage fee though. I had to drop an extra 80$

man, you're gonna pee your pants when they get to about 40 hours.  It doesn't totally transform the headphone, but burn in on the biodyna drivers is definitely real, they become noticeably better.  

Dec 14, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #2,740 of 12,089
Reading these posts is making me excited to get a nice burned in set of these one day, although i'm worried everyone likes them so much all the cheap ones got snatched up already :D

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #2,741 of 12,089
Having been a big fan of the DX000 line by Denon, I had to jump on board when I saw these. I got them earlier this morning and they're surprisingly darker in person than they appear to be in the pictures. Definitely looking forward to giving them a go on a Magni2/Modi2 combo at home. They leak a bit too much to use at work (which I expected considering the D series leaked quite a bit too). Pretty happy with the cup patterns overall, there's a small ring blemish on the left cup but it adds a sense of authenticity/age to the wood and the serial number is memorable (#256).

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #2,742 of 12,089

Was wondering the same thing.

biggrin.gif

Just inquired with the PeterK on the reachable mod and it was around $95 US plus shipping both ways (without the mic adapter). Think I'll be sending him both the X00's and my DT880 for detachable cables after the holidays. Pricing seems pretty fair though I'm not wild about the connector type. He stated the choices were pretty limited since there's not a whole lot of room in there for anything else. He responds very quickly to inquiries, don't take my word on pricing. Just send him off a message from his website. Seems like a pretty stellar guy with the little communication I've had with him and his work looks immaculate. 

Dec 14, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #2,744 of 12,089

Good to know you are enjoying them so much.

And ouch - good to know about the $80 gouge for us Canucks (as if the exchange rate isn't bad enough!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back