Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 22, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #10,111 of 12,086

​None of the earpads made specifically for the TH-X00 are available on Amazon.  They are Massdrop exclusives.

As for the rest of them, I have no idea!
cool.gif

I have the E-MU Teaks. What affect would the attenuation rings have the sound of these, which already have slightly dialed-down treble?

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #10,112 of 12,086
Since I don't own the E-MU Teak I can't really say 100% for certain, but on my TH-X00 the rings significantly enhance the low bass response so that everything sounds relatively balanced.

The stock Fostex pads already come with a similar plastic ring sewn onto the bottom of the pad, so they already have them built-in.  But when using aftermarket pads like the Dekoni's, the rings make a pretty significant improvement. 

The rings themselves don't seem to affect the treble region very much, but without them the treble becomes too prominent and they can get fatiguing pretty quickly.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #10,113 of 12,086
Since I don't own the E-MU Teak I can't really say 100% for certain, but on my TH-X00 the rings significantly enhance the low bass response so that everything sounds relatively balanced.

The stock Fostex pads already come with a similar plastic ring sewn onto the bottom of the pad, so they already have them built-in.  But when using aftermarket pads like the Dekoni's, the rings make a pretty significant improvement. 

The rings themselves don't seem to affect the treble region very much, but without them the treble becomes too prominent and they can get fatiguing pretty quickly.

Ahh. I have the stock rings in my Ori Pads currently.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #10,115 of 12,086
I was just going to post the Massdrop link for the Dekoni Pads.  I ordered the Lambskin and Velour pads.  The perforated Lambskin pads look awesome but they cost as much as the other two combined.  

The attenuation ring will mostly add bass but also bring up the treble a touch.  I'll be posting measurements once I receive the pads.  

One thing I did when I tried no wood cups was add some acoustic fiber inside the cups.  It has pushed down the mid range a touch and smoothed out the sound as well.  Measurements show improvements across the board.  
Hi Guys

Is Focal Elear for THX00 a fair trade?

Absolutely!  You can always sell the Elear at a higher price than the TH-X00.  I'm surprised someone is willing to do that trade.  They are completely different headphones though. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #10,118 of 12,086
I was just going to post the Massdrop link for the Dekoni Pads.  I ordered the Lambskin and Velour pads.  The perforated Lambskin pads look awesome but they cost as much as the other two combined.  

The attenuation ring will mostly add bass but also bring up the treble a touch.  I'll be posting measurements once I receive the pads.  

One thing I did when I tried no wood cups was add some acoustic fiber inside the cups.  It has pushed down the mid range a touch and smoothed out the sound as well.  Measurements show improvements across the board.  
Hi Guys

Absolutely!  You can always sell the Elear at a higher price than the TH-X00.  I'm surprised someone is willing to do that trade.  They are completely different headphones though. 
Hi Guys

I'll take the Elears in that trade. Worth about $800 used, thx00 less than half that atm.

What Am I getting from the Elears in term of sound quality?

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #10,120 of 12,086
Hi Guys

As good as the Elears are, I would still take my TH-X00's with Dekoni pads over them.

The Elears are a little too bass-light for me, but its the same for me with virtually every open-back headphone on the market.

Just remember, price has very little to do with what actually sounds best to you and your unique set of preferences.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #10,121 of 12,086
As good as the Elears are, I would still take my TH-X00's with Dekoni pads over them.

The Elears are a little too bass-light for me, but its the same for me with virtually every open-back headphone on the market.

Just remember, price has very little to do with what actually sounds best to you and your unique set of preferences.

So you like the Dekoni THXOO pads over anything else for Sq, Sq integrity and comfort?

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #10,122 of 12,086
Hi Guys

I barely touch my THX00s, TH900 is what I reach for if I want bass. I just don't want to get headphones with the same sound.

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #10,125 of 12,086
So you like the Dekoni THXOO pads over anything else for Sq, Sq integrity and comfort?

​Once I get the fenestrated sheepskin pads, then yes.

IMHO, the TH-X00 with Dekoni pads and rings will go toe-to-toe with any headphone under $1000. 
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back