Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jun 10, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #6,886 of 12,089
Hey Guys,

I just bought a pair of X00 used (they arrive tomorrow). I made that decision despite my hate for permanently attached cables. I will go the mod route for sure, however I am not sure which solution I want to go with. I've seen a few removable cable mods that require a little bit of grinding of the cups which is option one. But what about option 2 which is cutting the cable right after the Y and putting a Stereo 3.5mm female there. From there I can use a spare V-Moda cable I have for portability and solder a female 3.5mm on the original cable leftover for home use. Is this a dumb idea ?

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:23 PM Post #6,887 of 12,089
Hey Guys,

I just bought a pair of X00 used (they arrive tomorrow). I made that decision despite my hate for permanently attached cables. I will go the mod route for sure, however I am not sure which solution I want to go with. I've seen a few removable cable mods that require a little bit of grinding of the cups which is option one. But what about option 2 which is cutting the cable right after the Y and putting a Stereo 3.5mm female there. From there I can use a spare V-Moda cable I have for portability and solder a female 3.5mm on the original cable leftover for home use. Is this a dumb idea ?

That is called pigtails style. It is an excellent idea....why would you think it is dumb ?

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #6,888 of 12,089
  Hey Guys,

Option 3, use SMC connector, no cutting required.

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #6,890 of 12,089
  It might be your DAC? I found the Bifrost Uber sounded closed in compared to my Theta and the Theta is a 20 year old DAC but had a state of the art digital filter in it that is used currently in the Yggdrasil.  If the Uber was better than the Modi, and the Modi is equivalent to the ODAC... I'd get a better DAC for sure and you might see just how far these headphones will scale..

Also you must try well-mastered recordings. There are CD recordings out there that sound just as good as any hi-res recording I've ever heard and it comes down to the mastering. I only play lossless too... not lossy conversion methods. It's either CD or FLAC,WAV,ALAC for me.

I guess it could be a scaling issue...maybe. My sig is actually out of date now too, currently I'm running a Fiio e18 (through line out as a dac) to a Fiio k5, my ODAC needs to be repaired and I haven't gotten around to it. Still, I remember reading that the THX00 doesn't scale that well and the soundstage difference between the X00 and my A73 is pretty large out of the same system. I'm guessing it might be the earpads also playing a role in changing the sound sig from the well regarded staging of the th600. I tried out hm5 pads with cotton in front of the driver again and it seemed to improve the sound stage a little, but not incredibly.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:01 AM Post #6,892 of 12,089
considering these....i have the sony mdr 7520 and senn hd650....anyone familiar with all three?
just wondering how the fostex would differ in sound signature:  love a balanced and detailed sig, but also slightly warm and musical.
seeking something i can take on the road as well as use at home.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #6,893 of 12,089
  considering these....i have the sony mdr 7520 and senn hd650....anyone familiar with all three?
just wondering how the fostex would differ in sound signature:  love a balanced and detailed sig, but also slightly warm and musical.
seeking something i can take on the road as well as use at home.

The taking it on the road part is where I would suggest something else, these are not built like a tank.

Also, wouldn't call the sound signature balanced, your 7520 would be what I would consider closer to balanced.

Jun 11, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #6,894 of 12,089
So after owning the Fidue A73s for a while, I'm starting to wonder if my X00s are defective or if the difference in sound stage difference between a closed back and a good iem is truly this vast. From just about every track I can play, the A73 sounds...vast and extremely immersive, while the X00s seem to front load all the audio cues and make everything feel super close up in comparison. From some posts I read, I got the impression that over ears should inherently have the advantage in the sound stage department and that the X00s are no push over as far as sound staging in closed backs are concerned. This all has be a bit confused, since I'm finding myself to often prefer these $150 iems to my $400 headphones even when I'm at my desk now. :confused:  

It might be that your ears are just used to IEM sound. Only use X00 for a few days, and see if that makes any difference.

Jun 11, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #6,895 of 12,089
Would you guys care to share what IEMs you've been using to give you a similar sound signature as that of the X00?

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #6,896 of 12,089
Jun 11, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #6,897 of 12,089
Hey Guys,

Depends on why you want the cable to be removable. If you want it so that you can easily swap cables, then pigtails are great. If you are worried about durability, pigtails are actually worse than hard wired. If you want sleekness for portability pigtails are somewhere in the middle.

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #6,898 of 12,089
It might be that your ears are just used to IEM sound. Only use X00 for a few days, and see if that makes any difference.

I'll try that for now, but the staging difference was pretty big even from day one of owning the A73s. I'd owned and used the X00s as my daily drivers for months before just recently getting the A73s (I was in on the first drop) and I tested this with my dad's "unaudiophile" ears, the staging difference was immediately noticeable to him too. :I Gah, its bothering me now more and more, I'm even considering trying to find a Alpha Prime or HE-500 to trade for... Guess I'm more of a soundstage-head than a bass-head. Man, those A73s ruined me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back