Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jun 3, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #6,751 of 12,086
No changes for me but I really don't believe in cables making a difference in sound unless the original cable was really bad.  But there are some who say that they can hear the difference, not going to go there with cable mods.  To be fair most of my headphone cables are made from Mogami, Canare or Cardas wires, also made one with Double helix cables and another made from Forza cables.  Neither my GF or I can hear the difference in the cables made from these five different wires.

There is one thing I do that some may not do when doing the removable cable mods, I change the wire all the way to the driver and use good N7 OFC or SPC wire between the new jack and the driver.

Oh sorry, I should clarify, I don't mean change in sound sig from the actual wire, but from modding the cup and now physically having something (female 3.5 mm connector) in that enclosure with the driver.

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #6,752 of 12,086
Oh sorry, I should clarify, I don't mean change in sound sig from the actual wire, but from modding the cup and now physically having something (female 3.5 mm connector) in that enclosure with the driver.

There is no change in the sound with the new wires and jacks since I used the SMC connectors, they take up about the same amount of space.  Those that use the 2.5mm may or may not have a change in sound since you need to do some cutting of the cup to fit the jack, maybe someone who has gone that route will chime in.

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #6,753 of 12,086

I could not discern any sound signature change due to the mod.

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #6,755 of 12,086
  Did you ever open them up to see how much of the cup needed to be cut?

I would have to remove the cup.  That said I had purchased a set of spare cups from a fellow Head-fier.  Just a quick look comparing the two and I would say very little from the cup.  More from the metal work of course.

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:47 AM Post #6,756 of 12,086
  I would have to remove the cup.  That said I had purchased a set of spare cups from a fellow Head-fier.  Just a quick look comparing the two and I would say very little from the cup.  More from the metal work of course.

Good to know if I ever decide to do a fostex with 2.5mm jacks.

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #6,759 of 12,086

I guess that depends on the headphone to an extent right? For instance, I owned the SPL Auditor with I think 9ohm output and it was freaking amazing with my DT 880 600ohm. Controlled those drivers like a vice grip. That was a nice amp. Wish I had kept it.

well, yes.  600 ohm headphones can take a much higher output impedance than 25 ohm headphones

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #6,760 of 12,086
I remember inquiring about some headphones from Moon Audio a couple years back. My concern about the cans in question was reviews mentioning it had rolled off highs, and their response was to buy a $200 cable to improve the treble.

Hahaha haha hahaha! :joy:

I think the vast majority of the times cables don't make a difference because most good headphones come with good cables (at least sound wise).  Really the only exceptions I've seen are the Senn HD600 and HD650.  Even then you don't need some crazy cable to fix the issue, several $20-50 cables will fix their sluggishness issues when stock.  If headphone makes routinely put crappy cables on their high end headphones, thus screwing up a $400+ headphone when a $10 fix (headphone maker cost) could have made them substantially better, then this wouldn't be a hobby worth getting into in the first place.  

Long story short, cables can make a difference, but the vast majority of the time they don't because they come with great cables in the first place.  

I have messed around with crappy cables on my HE400i, just out of curiosity and the difference is absolutely there.

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #6,761 of 12,086
I think the vast majority of the times cables don't make a difference because most good headphones come with good cables (at least sound wise).  Really the only exceptions I've seen are the Senn HD600 and HD650.  Even then you don't need some crazy cable to fix the issue, several $20-50 cables will fix their sluggishness issues when stock.  If headphone makes routinely put crappy cables on their high end headphones, thus screwing up a $400+ headphone when a $10 fix (headphone maker cost) could have made them substantially better, then this wouldn't be a hobby worth getting into in the first place.  

Long story short, cables can make a difference, but the vast majority of the time they don't because they come with great cables in the first place.  

I have messed around with crappy cables on my HE400i, just out of curiosity and the difference is absolutely there.

Cables do make differences and whether or not people hear them....even the plugs quality has it own differences. That is why engineering make such claims and market it that way. Again, whether you can or can not hear it ? It is your to judges

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #6,762 of 12,086
Cables do make differences and whether or not people hear them....even the plugs quality has it own differences. That is why engineering make such claims and market it that way. Again, whether you can or can not hear it ? It is your to judges

please don't go down this path of telling people "you cant hear the differences" that doesn't do anything but start a flame war.

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #6,763 of 12,086
please don't go down this path of telling people "you cant hear the differences" that doesn't do anything but start a flame war.

My bad, if you thought I said that. What I meant is that people hears differently from one to another, everything from each human is unique to each of their own. The engineers know what to look for, and how to tell the differences, for example using specialized equipments to target a specialized spectrum and frequency. Therefore as unique as each person is biology was given, it only make senses that people hear different. Then what is wrong with saying "whether you can or can not hear the differences ? The differences are there"

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #6,764 of 12,086
My bad, if you thought I said that. What I meant is that people hears differently from one to another, everything from each human is unique to each of their own. The engineers know what to look for, and how to tell the differences, for example using specialized equipments to target a specialized spectrum and frequency. Therefore as unique as each person is biology was given, it only make senses that people hear different. Then what is wrong with saying "whether you can or can not hear the differences ? The differences are there"

nothing particularly, I'm just saying whenever people say "you just can't hear the difference" it starts a flame war.  People are very sensitive to other people saying they can't hear the difference in quality being due to "insufficient" hearing, which is how it's always interpreted.  This is especially true over cables. 

Jun 3, 2016 at 1:10 PM Post #6,765 of 12,086

nothing particularly, I'm just saying whenever people say "you just can't hear the difference" it starts a flame war.  People are very sensitive to other people saying they can't hear the difference in quality being due to "insufficient" hearing, which is how it's always interpreted.  This is especially true over cables. 

Works both ways.  You say cables can make a difference, so that's equally likely to start a flame war.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back