Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
May 14, 2016 at 4:00 PM Post #6,421 of 12,087
I told the wife I wanted to get these now, and the K7xx's later this year to complete my collection for a few years, and she asked why I needed two more headphones after already having the M100's. I'll have to let her try them both at some point after I get them, and hopefully then she will understand. Lol.

You can try the "use the right tool for the job" line, different genre of music will sound better if the headphone excels with that genre.

If you like classical then an HD-800 or T1 does them quite well, EDM, R&B, Pop will do well with most headphones that have a good bass, like the TH-X00.
  Try asking her why she has more than two pair if shoes.  May go better for you than it did for me...

I would try hand bags, most of my GF's hand bags make my HD-800 seem like a bargin, classic Chanel double flap with back pocket was $2900 when she got one last year (now she has all three colors, black, white, red), small red Hermes clutch is $4500.

May 14, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #6,422 of 12,087
Try asking her why she has more than two pair if shoes.  May go better for you than it did for me...

Oh no you didn't :O

May 14, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #6,423 of 12,087
I asked that just a few pages ago.
Comfortable is for sure, but still can't find a detailed impression on sound change from the stock pads.

Ok so this is going off memory for the just the pads. I have since done Lawton tuning, and some slight mods found in the TH 900 thread.

First, The pads slightly move the driver away and forward angled. This results in sound that appears to come more from the front. This is apparent to me with recorded music. I think driver distance is more responsible for this than the angle. For EDM and such the difference was not much that I can recall.

Sub bass was slightly decreased due to the fact that the Lawton wrap around the mounting plates more (hard to visualize for the person that haven't seen these mounts) and thus cover 4 holes that the mounting plates have, These holes serve as driver loading "ports", and when they are covered result In a decrease in low frequency air movement. If I had to quantify it, I'd say a 2db decrease in SUB BASS. Anything above Sub bass, actually seems to increase in tightness. Still has that nice lush low end sound. Cirez D's - "On Off" is a bassy track that has an opening bass line where I noticed sub bass decrease.

Mids come forward a bit perhaps due to the driver distance, and I think also because the bass gets tighter, it allows the mids to show through more. Vocals sound more.... There. it's minimal but there is increase. The big increase of mids for me came with the Lawton Tune up kit, but thats not what we are discussing here..

The highs actually didn't change too much for me, with just pads. They stayed just about the same with certain notes in the 8khz range being slightly sibilant if I turn the volume up. Natalie imbruglias "torn", almost made my ears bleed. That song is mastered in a way to really bring out the sibilance. Again, after the tune up, the highs smoothed out. Not less highs... just smoother and not so sibilant

So in summary let's say the pads make the V shape of the headphones more obtuse. If before they were V shaped headphone, now they are a more Wide V. More flat if you will.

Comfort again is the total name of the game with the Lawtons.

Edit: I'm using them on TH-600, so YMMV

May 14, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #6,425 of 12,087

Oh no you didn't :O

a couple pairs of shoes had to be surgically removed ?! 
atsmile.gif

May 14, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #6,426 of 12,087
My E-MU teak arrived.

They like a pair of THX00 with better mids and smoother highs. I love them. Will be getting rosewood and Ebony cups that I will test on both teak and THX00

Im expecting the Rosewood and Ebony to be bassier and more V shaped.

May 14, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #6,428 of 12,087
You can try the "use the right tool for the job" line, different genre of music will sound better if the headphone excels with that genre.

If you like classical then an HD-800 or T1 does them quite well, EDM, R&B, Pop will do well with most headphones that have a good bass, like the TH-X00.
I would try hand bags, most of my GF's hand bags make my HD-800 seem like a bargin, classic Chanel double flap with back pocket was $2900 when she got one last year (now she has all three colors, black, white, red), small red Hermes clutch is $4500.

I actually did both suggested ideas, and brought up that she has multiple shoes for the gym, one of which is a leg day shoe with a flatter heel. Lol. Worked ok. She still thinks it's odd, but oh well.

May 14, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #6,430 of 12,087
  New video from Unbox Therapy,this time with the TH-X00.
Where are you August?

-SNIP-

Although I think the X00s represent great value, I'm sorry to say that to me this guy is the definition of hype. I've only seen two of his videos (the HE350 one being the other) but tread carefully with regards to his vids. It's also kind of misleading of him to say these will only be available for two weeks as there is a high chance Massdrop will drop these repeatedly. Ok...rant over.

May 14, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #6,431 of 12,087
Although I think the X00s represent great value, I'm sorry to say that to me this guy is the definition of hype. I've only seen two of his videos (the HE350 one being the other) but tread carefully with regards to his vids. It's also kind of misleading of him to say these will only be available for two weeks as there is a high chance Massdrop will drop these repeatedly. Ok...rant over.

Yeah, totally agree with you.Can't take anything from this video other than another look at the headphones.I have read/watched enough reviews to know which is plain hype, or actually good helpful and etc. .I think this and the he350 videos are just marketing stuff from MD to try and hook more people up.

May 14, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #6,432 of 12,087
Ok so this is going off memory for the just the pads. I have since done Lawton tuning, and some slight mods found in the TH 900 thread.

First, The pads slightly move the driver away and forward angled. This results in sound that appears to come more from the front. This is apparent to me with recorded music. I think driver distance is more responsible for this than the angle. For EDM and such the difference was not much that I can recall.

Sub bass was slightly decreased due to the fact that the Lawton wrap around the mounting plates more (hard to visualize for the person that haven't seen these mounts) and thus cover 4 holes that the mounting plates have, These holes serve as driver loading "ports", and when they are covered result In a decrease in low frequency air movement. If I had to quantify it, I'd say a 2db decrease in SUB BASS. Anything above Sub bass, actually seems to increase in tightness. Still has that nice lush low end sound. Cirez D's - "On Off" is a bassy track that has an opening bass line where I noticed sub bass decrease.

Mids come forward a bit perhaps due to the driver distance, and I think also because the bass gets tighter, it allows the mids to show through more. Vocals sound more.... There. it's minimal but there is increase. The big increase of mids for me came with the Lawton Tune up kit, but thats not what we are discussing here..

The highs actually didn't change too much for me, with just pads. They stayed just about the same with certain notes in the 8khz range being slightly sibilant if I turn the volume up. Natalie imbruglias "torn", almost made my ears bleed. That song is mastered in a way to really bring out the sibilance. Again, after the tune up, the highs smoothed out. Not less highs... just smoother and not so sibilant

So in summary let's say the pads make the V shape of the headphones more obtuse. If before they were V shaped headphone, now they are a more Wide V. More flat if you will.

Comfort again is the total name of the game with the Lawtons.

Edit: I'm using them on TH-600, so YMMV

Thank you for your elaboration! So this is comparing to the TH600 pads, right?
I may go unearthing impressions on TH900/600 pads on TH-X00 in the thread to do some math. Seems they don't do that much sound-wise from TH600 pads.

May 14, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #6,433 of 12,087
Thank you for your elaboration! So this is comparing to the TH600 pads, right?
I may go unearthing impressions on TH900/600 pads on TH-X00 in the thread to do some math. Seems they don't do that much sound-wise from TH600 pads.

Correct, this is compared to the Stock TH-600/900 pads. Ive been trying to buy TH-X00 pads or their similar siblings TH-500RP. I want to compare comfort and sound.

The stock are good enough but... For example, the inner diameter is too large , so your ears have a lot of room. And believe it or not, the location of your ear forward, or to the rear makes a difference. So with the stock pads, I'd move them fore and aft and you'd hear difference. With the Lawton and the stock TH-X00, the holes limit your ear location and can provide a more consistent sound.

May 14, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #6,434 of 12,087
While these headphones are good with no amp I really recommend the Ican micro, it brings out that bass slam and makes everything seem richer and in charge. I was quite surprised with just how much difference it makes when comparing. This headphone sounds like a really nice stereo system to me, I have the purples on order too and was planning to sell one but I like them so much I'll likely end up keeping both!

Indeed, don't let the high efficiency convince you. Efficiency is really only loudness, whether a headphone can be driven to sound its best is a separate story.
Merely went from a DragonFly to a DACport HD I got the same impression as yours. Everything just... apparently stronger and more detailed, everything, and sound stage wider. The DragonFly only brought out like 50% of what TH-X00 can do in comparison.

I think fjrabon's review has his light, the specs and type of amps matter, and are helpful enough for starter.

May 14, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #6,435 of 12,087
Correct, this is compared to the Stock TH-600/900 pads. Ive been trying to buy TH-X00 pads or their similar siblings TH-500RP. I want to compare comfort and sound.

The stock are good enough but... For example, the inner diameter is too large , so your ears have a lot of room. And believe it or not, the location of your ear forward, or to the rear makes a difference. So with the stock pads, I'd move them fore and aft and you'd hear difference. With the Lawton and the stock TH-X00, the holes limit your ear location and can provide a more consistent sound.

Yeah, I can imagine, I have same issue with AKG K550's stock pads. That's actually why while I have 'wilder' shape of ears to fit in the stock TH-X00 pads' upright ellipse, I still feel less stressed than K550. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back