Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Mar 6, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #5,221 of 12,086
Mine laquer coating began to flake on one of the cups
And Massdrop offered me a 10 usd off coupon for any next purchase

Damn, I'm crying over my beloved headphone, which is now imperfect, and 10 bucks won't help it!

Mar 6, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #5,223 of 12,086
Mine laquer coating began to flake on one of the cups
And Massdrop offered me a 10 usd off coupon for any next purchase

Damn, I'm crying over my beloved headphone, which is now imperfect, and 10 bucks won't help it!

If that happened to mine I would not be happy with $10.00.  That is only 2.5% of sale price.

Mar 6, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #5,227 of 12,086
  Is anyone going through their entire playlist with the TH-X00s and discovering their music all over again? I never want to take them off and I can play any genre from my playlist and not feel the least bit disappointed.

I literally do my burn-ins by listening through my entire collection with a genre-balanced order. This could be fretful at times as that some day you just caught in the mood to listen certain kinds of songs. But this process with TH-X00 is the most enjoyable one.

Although I found TH-X00 is not that of an all-rounder comparing to my other neutral-ish phones, while more neutral ones provide an universal pleasing listening, they did not offer me to wake up everyday only to wait anxiously for night to come to see(hear) what fun I can discover with TH-X00 today.

Mar 6, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #5,229 of 12,086

Here's the flake photo
And it looks like it's growing... damn

Did it spontaneously happen? I can't imagine that it would happen without there being some kind of impact to damage the lacquer.

If that happened to mine, I'd take the cups off, sand them down, and either re-clearcoat them or stain them. It would be almost impossible to fix it instead of completely redoing it. 

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #5,232 of 12,086
How about this?
http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/252805-Fostex-8560014000?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=CjwKEAiAx--2BRDO6q2T84_a52YSJABWAbfr5UTPkK9GpZb-tLJNiosnjFS-VX9ZbazZw7hwwvpHfhoC0FHw_wcB

Mar 6, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #5,233 of 12,086
I'm using the ZMF Cowhide pads on my TH-X00 and they're great. Haven't done an A/B comparison yet because they're way more comfortable and sound great, I don't want to take them off!

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #5,234 of 12,086
  Did it spontaneously happen? I can't imagine that it would happen without there being some kind of impact to damage the lacquer.

If that happened to mine, I'd take the cups off, sand them down, and either re-clearcoat them or stain them. It would be almost impossible to fix it instead of completely redoing it. 

No damage was done to the cups, it just began to grow one day from one of the cups edges
I have no idea or skills how to re-laquer the cups, I'm just so disappointed.

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #5,235 of 12,086
  No damage was done to the cups, it just began to grow one day from one of the cups edges
I have no idea or skills how to re-laquer the cups, I'm just so disappointed.

Every time I take a look at my TH-X00, I find a new paint crack or a chip here and there.
I think the clear lacquer is a very weak one, or wasn't fully cured before dispatch.

The wood quality and the lacquer finish isn't particularly top quality, so I'm not too concerned about it, but I can see how some people would think it's not like how it looked on the official photos.

Maybe eventually it will wear through and begin to look like the new TH610. It's like the vintage jeans. That would be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back