Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Feb 3, 2016 at 7:47 PM Post #4,726 of 12,089
Feb 3, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #4,731 of 12,089
I have to concede here.
Tried a few pads myself,
And I have to say the AlphaPads are the most impressive match for this headphone. .
It makes the stock pads sound a bit anemic...
That's how good a match the AlphaPads are with this beauty of a headphone. .
I feel the stock pads where made small on purpose for image/looks only...
Edit:
IMO, They are not as optimal a match as the AlphaPads are.

Which pads have you tried other than the Alpha Pads? I was thinking of getting the angled HM5 hybrid pads. http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Hybrid-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1454551968&sr=8-4&keywords=hm5+pads

Feb 3, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #4,732 of 12,089
Got the AKG K7XX today. I don't know. I'm not feeling them 100% and miss the bass extension of my D2000s. Would these be a better fit?

These have waaaaay more bass, both in quality and quantity than any K7__ series

@EinZweiDrei I think they're very well suited to every genre aside from orchestral. Imho, closed backs will never have the proper sound stage to represent a full orchestra. But that aside, I think they especially sparkle with acoustic guitars thanks to the wonderful mids.

As far as hype goes, I think they're about at 75% of the hype train for me. They're exactly what I was looking for: closed cans with a warm sound but still plenty of resolution and detail. You'd have to be crazy to think those early people on the thread who were saying these were TOTL beaters were right, but these are incredible value at $400, and live up to the hype imo.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #4,733 of 12,089

Which pads have you tried other than the Alpha Pads? I was thinking of getting the angled HM5 hybrid pads. http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Hybrid-Memory-Foam-Earpad/dp/B00ZGGG3KY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1454551968&sr=8-4&keywords=hm5+pads

Don't...the hybrids kill the bass these do so well...and also they aren't angled. I tried them out of curiosity, the bass impact went from a punch to a fart and the treble got a lot more stabbing. Sold them shortly there after at a loss. Think of me as one of those people from the anti smoking adds....learn from me.

Unless that's the way you wanted to tune these...then by all means.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #4,734 of 12,089
  Don't...they kill the bass these do so well. I tried them out of curiosity, the bass impact went from a punch to a fart and the treble got a lot more stabbing. Sold them shortly there after at a loss. Think of me as one of those people from the anti smoking adds....learn from me.

Unless that's the way you wanted to tune these...then by all means.

Couldn't agree more... and I've wrote it earlier in the thread. I had a pair of HM5 velours and it was terrible, especially that treble.

The allure is that they are cheap and very comfortable pads, but they totally destroy the sound... bad choice. 

If you want to take a $400 excellent sounding headphone and ruin it with some horrible sounding pads, go for the HM5's. You'll be happy you did.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #4,736 of 12,089
I have to concede here.
Tried a few pads myself,
And I have to say the AlphaPads are the most impressive match for this headphone. .
It makes the stock pads sound a bit anemic...
That's how good a match the AlphaPads are with this beauty of a headphone. .
I feel the stock pads where made small on purpose for image/looks only...
Edit:
IMO, They are not as optimal a match as the AlphaPads are.

I completely agree about the AlphaPads on the TH-X00.  I had AlphaPads on my HE-500's and swapped the Alphas over to the TH-X00 and that is where they will stay, a perfect match.
Interestingly enough, I actually like the pads that came with the TH-X00 on the HE-500's but will probably do a comparison against some Focus pads on the HE-500 to see how things will end up.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #4,737 of 12,089
  Is it confirmed that these use the T50rp pads? I've seen a few people mention it but would like to know for sure, in case I end up needing to replace the stock ones.

The General consensus is that these use the TH-500rp pads. Here is a post by someone who knows a lot more than me backing that up: http://www.head-fi.org/t/788776/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review/4350#post_12290122

My only concern with this is if the 500rp pads also have the plastic bit sown into the pads like the x00 has, as I suspect that bit plays a great deal in the tuning.

Feb 3, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #4,738 of 12,089

43.8% IMHO (but we all hear differently, of course).

@EinZweiDrei I think they're very well suited to every genre aside from orchestral. Imho, closed backs will never have the proper sound stage to represent a full orchestra. But that aside, I think they especially sparkle with acoustic guitars thanks to the wonderful mids.

As far as hype goes, I think they're about at 75% of the hype train for me. They're exactly what I was looking for: closed cans with a warm sound but still plenty of resolution and detail. You'd have to be crazy to think those early people on the thread who were saying these were TOTL beaters were right, but these are incredible value at $400, and live up to the hype imo.

How do you calculate those percentages? The lower the number the... hyper? 
rolleyes.gif

I for one think the starting point of the world beater hype was the publicity that:
・These can perceived better than TH900s.
・TH900's original MSRP was $2000.
・These are based on TH600, of which the original MSRP was $1000, so Massdrop didn't really make up the MSRP. If these were made in Japan and sold by Fostex themselves, they would sell you $1000. They don't worth it from the first place, but that's the trick.

These partly subjective and partly not very practical facts were unawarely believed and ridiculously expanded to any other things in the original MSRP's range, forming part of the hype.

I know U.S. residents can often buy things highly discounted, and MSRPs are only to be greatly dropped rapidly if not instantly by retailers, but that's not always the case in the rest of world.
There ARE countries where you can only buy things at their MSRPs...! And prices will never drop. In this case, the TH900s and TH600s... YES PEOPLE they still cost full $2000 and $1000 in my country throughout today!!

So regardless how TH-X00 would actually sound, only because it's a $399 Fostex bio-cellulose it's an ultra hyper steal for me! You can say I was 100% hyped by my country
tongue.gif

Let alone as the final result TH-X00 is 120% what I was after. I was hoping for an overall upgrade to the Creative Aurvana Live! (the first model), which is again essentially a reincarnated AH-D1000. TH-X00 perfectly fulfilled the wish, and plus the surprise that I didn't expect its soundstage can be on par with K550; in fact I feel TH-X00 gives more presence, maybe due to K550 while wider is kind of flat wide, but TH-X00 has more... depth?

I am really speaking of how TH-X00 is real for me, please don't take me serious on my hype analysis. Just wanted to talk a little about the MSRP things.

Feb 4, 2016 at 12:06 AM Post #4,739 of 12,089
How do you calculate those percentages? The lower the number the... hyper? :rolleyes:

I for one think the starting point of the world beater hype was the publicity that:
・These can perceived better than TH900s.
・TH900's original MSRP was $2000.
・These are based on TH600, of which the original MSRP was $1000, so Massdrop didn't really make up the MSRP. If these were made in Japan and sold by Fostex themselves, they would sell you $1000. They don't worth it from the first place, but that's the trick.

These partly subjective and partly not very practical facts were unawarely believedand ridiculously spread, forming part of the hype.

I know U.S. residents can often buy things highly discounted, and MSRPs are only to be greatly dropped rapidly if not instantly by retailers, but that's not always the case in the rest of world.
There ARE countries where you can only buy things at their MSRPs...! And prices will never drop. In this case, the TH900s and TH600s... YES PEOPLE they still cost full $2000 and $1000 in my country throughout today!!

So regardless how TH-X00 would actually sound, only because it's a $399 Fostex bio-cellulose it's an ultra hyper steal for me! You can say I was 100% hyped by my country:p
Let alone as the final result TH-X00 is 120% what I was after. I was hoping for an overall upgrade to the Creative Aurvana Live! (the first model), which is again essentially a reincarnated AH-D1000. TH-X00 perfectly fulfilled the wish, and plus the surprise that I didn't expect its soundstage can be on par with K550; in fact I feel TH-X00 gives more presence, maybe due to K550 while wider is kind of flat wide, but TH-X00 has more... depth?

I am really speaking of how TH-X00 is real for me, please don't take me serious on my hype analysis. Just wanted to talk a little about the MSRP things.

I think (the way I did it, which is goofy regardless. Hype % is a ridiculous concept) 100% would be that everything people said was true.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back