Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 20, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #3,166 of 12,086
After many hours of listening to tunes, I've decided that I love this headphone.

For background, like many others on this board, I'm a headphone maniac.  I've owned most of the summit-fi headphones under $2000 (my absolute limit) including almost all of the high-end IEMs.  For a long time, I valued accuracy over anything else.  After listening to planar magnetic headphones over the past four years, I'm in love with their speed and representation of bass.

The Fostex TH-X00 does not come close in terms of speed, accuracy, or bass quality.  The Oppo PM-3 (at a similar price point) feels like it is better in each of these points especially with proper amping.  However, I can't get the TH-X00 off my ears and it is well past being a "new toy".   To me, it's not just a fun headphone; it's a headphone that exists for a very practical reason.  Not everyone has time for critical listening.  I put these headphones on, set my Grace M9XX to a reasonable listening level, turn on my Discover Weekly playlist from Spotify, and I actually get my work done.  

This is the first headphone that my wife has tried and actually enjoyed.  Outside of the HD800, nothing has come close in terms of comfort.  This feels like the Koss KSC 35/75 of the semi-closed mid-tier phones.  To get better than this, you'll have to spend much more - and your satisfaction is not guaranteed. After hating the TH-900 for it's treble, this is my favorite entry to the Fostex sound signature.

Kudos to Fostex and Massdrop for making this happen! 

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #3,167 of 12,086
Serial #350 reporting in!

These look and sound gorgeous. IMO, they sound like a closed version of HD650 with more bass. While slightly overblown in quantity, the bass is textured, detailed and deep, very good quality. The mids are lush, intimate, and actually every bit as good, if not better than the Senns! What surprised me most is the level of transparency in these cans; despite being bass heavy they are very resolving and I could hear things that I could hardly hear on my other headphones more easily. I'm extremely impressed and most likely will be keeping them for a loooong time.

Next step: Pad rolling! (gonna acquire some TH900 pads first)

Here's another shot:

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #3,168 of 12,086
I guess the cool thing to mention is our serial number - I'm #448

I've burned these for 50 hours now (25 are actual usage). One review said 144 hours are recommended and I recall the bass being extremely grainy upon early usage but has gotten better over time, so I'm going to go through with the burn in process and hope the cans get even better than my initial experience, even though there isn't much more I could ask of them tbh

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #3,169 of 12,086
First, I disregarded the drop for m9xx because I think it wouldn't be worth it. Then I saw the Fostex for $399, but also passed on it because again, I think it wouldn't be worth it.

Now, I'm reading all these positive reviews about both of these products is making me regret more and more, tot he point where I can't wait for the next drop.

The wait is killing me, wish these products will drop again soon.. :'(

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:40 AM Post #3,170 of 12,086
I guess the cool thing to mention is our serial number - I'm #448

I've burned these for 50 hours now (25 are actual usage). One review said 144 hours are recommended and I recall the bass being extremely grainy upon early usage but has gotten better over time, so I'm going to go through with the burn in process and hope the cans get even better than my initial experience, even though there isn't much more I could ask of them tbh

In my experience, after putting on 200hrs of music ranging from 70-85db on loudness, the headphone can tighten up more. It wasn't until I put 72hrs of LOUD (110db) electronic music on top of the 200hrs did the headphone become what it is now. I think after 48hrs of sane volumes or so, piping in 100-110db should be safe. I wouldn't do it to drivers fresh out of the box or IEMs though.

My review has more details on my findings, check my sig for a link or just go to the THX00 review page.http://www.head-fi.org/products/fostex-th-x00-massdrop-exclusive/reviews/14816

Dec 20, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #3,171 of 12,086
Did I mention that the TH-X00 are amazing ? 
wink.gif
  (Serial # 1260)

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #3,172 of 12,086
In my experience, after putting on 200hrs of music ranging from 70-85db on loudness, the headphone can tighten up more. It wasn't until I put 72hrs of LOUD (110db) electronic music on top of the 200hrs did the headphone become what it is now. I think after 48hrs of sane volumes or so, piping in 100-110db should be safe. I wouldn't do it to drivers fresh out of the box or IEMs though.

My review has more details on my findings, check my sig for a link or just go to the THX00 review page.http://www.head-fi.org/products/fostex-th-x00-massdrop-exclusive/reviews/14816

Seriously I've had many headphones, new or used, high end ones (hd800, he6, th900 ...) to entry level ones (far too many), I've never felt burn-in would change how a headphone sounds much from fresh out of box. Anyway, I know many do feel and can hear the changes, all for good to better. Maybe I should give this one a 100hr burn in and see how it turns out :)

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #3,173 of 12,086
Seriously I've had many headphones, new or used, high end ones (hd800, he6, th900 ...) to entry level ones (far too many), I've never felt burn-in would change how a headphone sounds much from fresh out of box. Anyway, I know many do feel and can hear the changes, all for good to better. Maybe I should give this one a 100hr burn in and see how it turns out :)

Yeah, I generally agree burn-in is overblown around here. But I think the Fostex/Denon/Sony bio-dyna drivers are an exception. They use a different process for the driver structure that, to my ears, benefits from burn in more than any can I've heard.

Dec 20, 2015 at 10:40 AM Post #3,174 of 12,086
I would argue that the burn-in for these may be slightly different than the standard Fostex, due to manufacturing differences. They may have simply put it together, with zero burn-in - perhaps even skipping a failure test, leaving it all to the end user. It may be simpler to just replace rather than to fix, as I believe one user noted when trying to get assistance for a fix.

I had a pair of AKG Q701 headphones...I burned, and burned, and burned those in. Nothing significant changed for me. However my AKG K7XX (MassDrop variety built in China) got much better balance after use. Initially, they had a ton of bass. The bass stayed the same, yet the treble increased after using them for a while.

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #3,175 of 12,086
Seriously I've had many headphones, new or used, high end ones (hd800, he6, th900 ...) to entry level ones (far too many), I've never felt burn-in would change how a headphone sounds much from fresh out of box. Anyway, I know many do feel and can hear the changes, all for good to better. Maybe I should give this one a 100hr burn in and see how it turns out
smily_headphones1.gif

I run the rig from a cdp and am not familiar with electronic music. Could you suggest some cds that will fit the bill? Thanks.

OOPS...that question was for soundsgoodtome.

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #3,176 of 12,086
Some will give more changes with burn-in than others but this headphone displays quite a bit of burn-in effects.

Another great example of burn-in making a big difference is the Philips SHP9500. Those need 150-200hrs before it becomes very level with the first 24 hrs having very glossy treble.

Any Skrillex cd should be perfect. Try this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V5RMUPA
I run the rig from a cdp and am not familiar with electronic music. Could you suggest some cds that will fit the bill? Thanks.

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #3,177 of 12,086
Yeah, I generally agree burn-in is overblown around here. But I think the Fostex/Denon/Sony bio-dyna drivers are an exception. They use a different process for the driver structure that, to my ears, benefits from burn in more than any can I've heard.

I agree that burin-in is overblown.  I've heard drastic change with only a handful of headphones after the burn-in process. 

Some models might not need burn-in because the manufacturer already does it for you.  Dan (Mr. Speakers) showed me his burn-in station -- a crappy Sony receiver pumping something (he told me what, but I forgot) to around 20 Ethers at a time (I think he said for a day or so). 

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #3,178 of 12,086

Get some Tiesto and David Guetta CDs. Skrillex is teen stuff.

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #3,179 of 12,086
Can someone please explain in more detail how to change pads on these to alpha pads. I read on a previous post something about getting the alpha pads around a clip. Obviously I have not taken the stock pads on these off and it would be great if someone could explain a little more how to get these off and the alphas on.
Thanks
Mike

First, you have to twist the stock pads to remove them. There is a twist to mount system where the pads are stretched around a plastic ring with four clips that each fit into a slot where you twist them to lock them in.

Next step, you take the plastic ring that has the four clips out of the stock earpads. Notice the way the stock earpads are stretched around and behind each one of the four clips, this is important because when you stretch the Alpha pads around the plastic mounting ring you have to make sure the edge of the earpads fits under each of the plastic clips. Otherwise it will be a pain in the ass trying to get the clips to make contact with the slots where the clips go in and twist to mount.

Third step, make sure  your Alpha pads are lined up with each other symmetrically and estimate where you want them to be after they the clips fit in and twist to lock. You have to estimate about where you want them because after you twist them and lock them in place, they will be in a different position than where the clips fit into the slot by a about 1/4 inch.

Finally when you twist to mount the Alpha pads, apply pressure to all four areas where the clips fit into the slot otherwise one of them won't go in and you'll have earpads that are sealed on 3 corners but not one. This can be a bit frustrating because I personally had some issues getting one of the clips to fit into the slot and twist since the Alpha pads are a little beefier and they can be a little tricky to get on but they do. I'll post pictures after breakfast to this post.  Actually I don't have time right now, I'm packing up to go to Big Bear and hit the snow
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #3,180 of 12,086
There you go. I don't know much about electronic music and its many branches but for burn-in Skrillex's teen style music really can push a driver. (From what I heard on one of his albums)

Isn't David Guetta more of a pop guy? Or nah?

I'm more of a classical, jazz, folk, rock kinda listener with a bit of rap and r&b here and there.
Get some Tiesto and David Guetta CDs. Skrillex is teen stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back