Fostex th900 or shut shr940?
Oct 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

zwitt

New Head-Fier
Ok I've been looking at these headphones and wanted someone's opinion on which to but I will be using the predator for an amp. Basically I like that the shr seen to be have amazing sound quality specifically soundstage and vocals but There doesnt seem to be any bass and they seem to be great for rock country and metal but I want something for electronic music as well so I was planning on getting the ultrasone pro900 but then I heard about the fostex and wondered how they compare as far as highs and mids especially

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 13
Even if they were $1000 (which they are not, in the US its closer to $2000) you are comparing them to a $200ish (Shure) and $300ish (Ultrasone) headphone. And that original post is difficult to understand, you need to explain what you are looking for better including budget and preferred sound signatures ( that you've actually heard not read somewhere).

Oct 31, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 13
Even if they were $1000 (which they are not, in the US its closer to $2000) you are comparing them to a $200ish (Shure) and $300ish (Ultrasone) headphone. And that original post is difficult to understand, you need to explain what you are looking for better including budget and preferred sound signatures ( that you've actually heard not read somewhere).

Msrp is 2000 for fostex msrp for shr is 375 msrp for ultrasone is 599 just saying I know what shure sound signature is an I know what ultrasone sound sig is I want something that can give me great sounding mids an great highs with good low bass something that is relatively nuetral with an emphasis in mids without being anemic with bass

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #7 of 13
I recently bought Fostex TH900 $1495 in Australia
I have only listened to TH900 for 5-6 hours so far best headphone I have ever listened to IMO.
I also own Ultrasone Ed8 also very nice however the TH 900 improves on the ed8 in every way except for isolation and portability. The ed8 sound great the TH900 are on another level.

TH900. Awesome bass clarity, excellent treble mids just slightly recessed however it's quite a neutral sound signature. Also IMO euphonic headphone.

Just my 2 cents - would recommend checking out the TH900 thread as there are some excellent description of this headphone.

Unable to comment on the sure h/p as I have not tried one yet.

Good luck in your hunt for a suitable h/p

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #8 of 13
From the opinions of the people that own the TH900's, you'd probably be disappointed if you're looking for "emphasis in the mids".
A lot of people say that they're "slightly" recessed.
Alv is right, you probably won't find these for anything less than the bare minimum of AUD$1.5k, approaching close to USD$2k.

Apr 4, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #12 of 13
I know this is an old thread but I recently hooked up my TH900 to my RSA Predator and it sounds BETTER than when connected to my Burson Soloist. Just my two cents. The synergy/sound signature is better with Predator. The Burson sounds good-ish but something is amiss, it's like the bass hits TOO hard and it just doesn't sound right. 

I think there's more bass on tap when connected to the Predator but it all sounds like it should... it's hard to explain as I am a relative novice. Not the result I expected but there you go. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back