Fostex TH900 mods
Nov 14, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #137 of 345
I finally got annoyed enough with my ears touching the drivers that I had to come up with a solution. I tried going back to stock pads, but the sibilance and distance from the sound was a big no-no for me. What I eventually ended up doing is cutting out semi-circular rings from the carbon foam I had leftover (same outer and inner dimensions as the rings I am using), and stuffing them into the back side of the pads to create a steep angle. I tapered off the tips of these semicircular rings so that the existing carbon foam pad would rest more naturally on it.

The result? FAR improved comfort for me. Because the tear of the pads are now ~22mm, my ear no longer touches the driver. Even better, I cannot pick up a change in the sound of the pads. It looks like the acoustic properties of the carbon foam and the seal it creates are the most crucial to the earpad mod. The fact that I kept the front part of the pad low (~10mm) keeps my ears close enough to the drivers, so I don't lose any of the details and beautiful midrange that I have already achieved with the mod so far.

Now to test these in the office. I have a feeling I will have no problems wearing these for an entire day at work now.

Nov 30, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #138 of 345
Where I could buy the white wool felt ? 

I open the meervilt.nl web page but I can´t see the link to buy it .

Any other place in europe or could you write the link in meervit ?

Thanks

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #139 of 345
I have my TH900 wired with a new cooper balanced cable, but what next mod do you suggets I do to improve further my beloved Fostex ? 

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #140 of 345
  I have my TH900 wired with a new cooper balanced cable, but what next mod do you suggets I do to improve further my beloved Fostex ? 

Definitely the carbon foam pad mod, and all the other wool damping mods described in the first post in this thread. These mods are a little involved, and the exact wool material isn't that easy to get, but IMO, they have made my TH900 a reference-level headphone. 

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #141 of 345
  I finally got annoyed enough with my ears touching the drivers that I had to come up with a solution. I tried going back to stock pads, but the sibilance and distance from the sound was a big no-no for me. What I eventually ended up doing is cutting out semi-circular rings from the carbon foam I had leftover (same outer and inner dimensions as the rings I am using), and stuffing them into the back side of the pads to create a steep angle. I tapered off the tips of these semicircular rings so that the existing carbon foam pad would rest more naturally on it.

The result? FAR improved comfort for me. Because the tear of the pads are now ~22mm, my ear no longer touches the driver. Even better, I cannot pick up a change in the sound of the pads. It looks like the acoustic properties of the carbon foam and the seal it creates are the most crucial to the earpad mod. The fact that I kept the front part of the pad low (~10mm) keeps my ears close enough to the drivers, so I don't lose any of the details and beautiful midrange that I have already achieved with the mod so far.

Now to test these in the office. I have a feeling I will have no problems wearing these for an entire day at work now.

I am happy to report that the angled carbon foam pads remain comfortable after weeks of use, and have had no noticeable effect on sound quality. Also, the bottom layer has stayed aligned this whole time. I highly recommend doing this for anyone who has comfort issues with the low carbon foam pads!

Dec 7, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #142 of 345

Honestly, I would do the carbon pad mod (although I am waiting to see how the STAX 007 pads work with these), put dampeners on the drivers and inside of cups (Lawton level 1/Sorbothane or Dynamat, respectively), get rid of the batting material, and go ahead and start learning how to equalize your headphones to neutral (there is a helpful thread here in head-fi about it).  After parametric EQ, there really is no going back...

Dec 8, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #143 of 345

Where did you source the cable from when you re cabled? I am thinking about re cabling mine. I want a shorter cable and different termination. 

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #144 of 345
  Where did you source the cable from when you re cabled? I am thinking about re cabling mine. I want a shorter cable and different termination. 

I sent my Headphone to Casques-headphone.com for re cabling.  Pierre paya is a very helpfull person.

Dec 8, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #145 of 345
Dec 29, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #148 of 345
Does anyone have experience replacing drivers on  the TH900?

Dec 30, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #150 of 345
Replacing a th900 driver with another th900 driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back