Fostex TH900 mods
Apr 26, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #16 of 343
I wonder if we could get a moderator to transfer all the modding posts from the TH-900 thread (Lawton and others) to this thread.
Or what you guys think of it. Should this be a mixed mod thread or DIY only?

I'm personally a big fan of the Lawton mods myself and wrote some short A/B impressions on the LA-900 vs TH-900.
Now I have the gear on order to A/B test with or without his cable with the same type of woods, then with a different type of wood (type 1 vs 5, the two extremes) after that.

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #17 of 343
  I wonder if we could get a moderator to transfer all the modding posts from the TH-900 thread (Lawton and others) to this thread.

I'm personally a big fan of the Lawton mods myself and wrote some short A/B impressions on the LA-900 vs TH-900.
Now I have the gear on order to A/B test with or without his cable with the same type of woods, then with a different type of wood (type 1 vs 5, the two extremes) after that.

I think a mixed mod thread would get the most challenges to the status quo, which is what we are after.....after all. Besides, the TH 900 and D7000 people all gripe and complain when  we post about mods in "their" threads.

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #18 of 343

Judging by the title, this could be hosting all mods, commercial or DIY.
I have included links to the posts related to this mod, so no need to transfer those.
IMO it would be enough to post the links to existing other mod posts. If someone posts the links, I will include/link it in the first post.
Also, for Lawton mods in particular, one may choose to create a separate topic as well.
But at the moment AFAIK there are only the Lawton mods and this one.

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #19 of 343
Yep, mixed it is then, makes most sense.

Next Friday I'll browse through the TH-900 thread to get the links. I have a 900 page manual and some tests to wrestle through today. :frowning2:
I'll make a post here with the links then.

Shouldn't we include Lawton in the title of the thread as well? Many people will have heard the name and likely use it as a search term.

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #20 of 343
Seems like the parts you use are fairly easy to get for me.
I always thought that when I was done comapring various Lawtons I would keep 1 TH-900 stock.
I'm thinking of using that one to apply your mods on after I'm done comparing Lawtons.
I do have a long history with various LA7000s which is why I want to get deeper into the difference various woods and the cable he suggests make first.

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #21 of 343
Shouldn't we include Lawton in the title of the thread as well? Many people will have heard the name and likely use it as a search term.

I think the thread name should be generic, and the content can be mixed. Search engines are fine with that.
It is also fine to include Lawton in the thread title, but then I think it should be Lawton-only. It may make sense to create a separate TH900 Lawton mod thread as well - your choice :).

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #22 of 343
Seems like the parts you use are fairly easy to get for me.
I always thought that when I was done comapring various Lawtons I would keep 1 TH-900 stock.
I'm thinking of using that one to apply your mods on after I'm done comparing Lawtons.
I do have a long history with various LA7000s which is why I want to get deeper into the difference various woods and the cable he suggests make first.

I think for any credible mod analysis someone somewhere needs to keep and a/b an original th900. Course that's supposing money is not an object in this analysis.

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #23 of 343
popcorn.gif

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #24 of 343
I think the thread name should be generic, and the content can be mixed. Search engines are fine with that.
It is also fine to include Lawton in the thread title, but then I think it should be Lawton-only. It may make sense to create a separate TH900 Lawton mod thread as well - your choice :).

Im sure anyone interested in Lawton modding their own headphone would be interested to at least see whats going on here. I woukd include Lawton in the title. Besides, we may get some good ideas from having them in the discussion.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #25 of 343

It is also fine to include Lawton in the thread title, but then I think it should be Lawton-only. It may make sense to create a separate TH900 Lawton mod thread as well - your choice
smily_headphones1.gif

Im sure anyone interested in Lawton modding their own headphone would be interested to at least see whats going on here. I woukd include Lawton in the title. Besides, we may get some good ideas from having them in the discussion.

I agree as well a mod by diy, x or y or z is a mod. Just be sure to designate which we are talking reading about. I purposely didnt get a lawton mod to my th900 by use of materials as im not trying to dampen anything. Granted i want to hear about folks views on these effects either the starter thread felt, or lawtons. I didnt get the cups changed cause i want a pair of the originals. But im not adverse to changes to another pair i may own one day, so would want to hear about that. I did do a scorpian cable change but am not sure if its a significant change over the stock cables. I believe there is some muscularity and detail seperation and sq improvement evident, but without a direct A/B i cant say from memory. The reason is i have done a cable change is that the dhc fusion 8 braid i got to replace my alo sxc8 and stock cables for my 846 was a no brainer upgrade preceptable change. I believe in cable upgrades from that. Probably the stock cables are just that good or my memory is just not reliable. So i would love to hear from folks on any mod and direct a/b mod testing on any and all lawton products here. As opposed to going from thread to thread on every aspect of th900 in general. Ie mods, th900, amps that power.  etc...
however the original authors may take offence, i hope they dont more reads more views

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #26 of 343
  I agree as well a mod by diy, x or y or z is a mod. Just be sure to designate which we are talking reading about. I purposely didnt get a lawton mod to my th900 by use of materials as im not trying to dampen anything. Granted i want to hear about folks views on these effects either the starter thread felt, or lawtons. I didnt get the cups changed cause i want a pair of the originals. But im not adverse to changes to another pair i may own one day, so would want to hear about that. I did do a scorpian cable change but am not sure if its a significant change over the stock cables. I believe there is some muscularity and detail seperation and sq improvement evident, but without a direct A/B i cant say from memory. The reason is i have done a cable change is that the dhc fusion 8 braid i got to replace my alo sxc8 and stock cables for my 846 was a no brainer upgrade preceptable change. I believe in cable upgrades from that. Probably the stock cables are just that good or my memory is just not reliable. So i would love to hear from folks on any mod and direct a/b mod testing on any and all lawton products here. As opposed to going from thread to thread on every aspect of th900 in general. Ie mods, th900, amps that power.  etc...
however the original authors may take offence, i hope they dont more reads more views

You could call it "The General TH 900/Lawton Modders Thread"

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #27 of 343
All this pedantic BS is tiring.  I love that guys/gals are modding their cans and posting how they did it and the resulting change in sound they are experience.  

Most of the garbage posts on the TH900 appreciation thread are bitching about mods and sniping at one another.  What a waste of energy.

To the Op of this thread....keep on keepin' on, brother!  I modify cars more than anything else and seeing one do what you do to high end cans is super cool!

HS

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #28 of 343
yes me too I like to modified every headphones I get, even if they worth thousand of dollars , I want to get the best sound quality from them , so about your mod is amazing I notice the differences I bought a new pads and found them more comfy and sound good too .http://www.amazon.com/Brainwavz-Replacement-Memory-Foam-Earpads/dp/B00MFDT894/ref=pd_bxgy_e_text_y

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:40 AM Post #29 of 343
'' I own Fostex Th 900 and I like them , I'm trying to modified them to make them open headphones cause they didn't seal that much . so what did you think about the best idea 1- open 2 holes behind the cups or 2- create new cups ? ''

from Th900 Thread .

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #30 of 343
'' I own Fostex Th 900 and I like them , I'm trying to modified them to make them open headphones cause they didn't seal that much . so what did you think about the best idea 1- open 2 holes behind the cups or 2- create new cups ? ''

I heard that a small hole on the D700 cups improved it. I would not try it on the TH900, though... 
If you want open headphones, just take the cup off :) I have also tried it that way :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back