Fostex TH900 MkII
Jun 19, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #1,216 of 1,501
I just ordered an adapter today by chance. I don't plan to use it much, just curious how the Th900 will sound out of a diff amp.

After almost a week I think I've decided to keep using the ZMF Eikon Pads. I was quite surprised by them as the sound profile I'm getting is brighter than both the stock and Dekoni pads. I almost immediately pushed the treble in the EQ back down to zero and even below on some songs, whereas with both the other 2 pads I had the upper mids and lower treble bumped up. They are certainly the most comfortable of the 3 for me.

I really just can't get over how amazing these headphones are, I love them so much!

Attachments

• 20220619_162411.jpg
    20220619_162411.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220619_161948.jpg
    20220619_161948.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jun 21, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #1,218 of 1,501
Just picked up the Mk2 and ordered XLR cables… now for the pads. I’ve read countless posts on this thread and the non-mk2 TH900 thread. Seems like the more popular pads are the 610, ZMF, Lawton, Yaxi, Brainwavz, and Dekoni. I like the sound of the stock, but want something thicker that will NOT lose any bass. Any suggestions? I’m leaning toward the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin or Hybrid. Are they thicker than stock? Any recommended pads that I missed? Thanks!

Jun 21, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #1,219 of 1,501
Just picked up the Mk2 and ordered XLR cables… now for the pads. I’ve read countless posts on this thread and the non-mk2 TH900 thread. Seems like the more popular pads are the 610, ZMF, Lawton, Yaxi, Brainwavz, and Dekoni. I like the sound of the stock, but want something thicker that will NOT lose any bass. Any suggestions? I’m leaning toward the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin or Hybrid. Are they thicker than stock? Any recommended pads that I missed? Thanks!
Th610 pads.

Jun 21, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #1,220 of 1,501
I would stick with Dekoni Elite, these are by far the closest to stock I have heard. I have also heard very good things about the Stax SR-009 pads as well as they also fit the 900 but they are very spendy, I have not had the need to try them out.

Jun 22, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #1,221 of 1,501
I have ZMF Auteur Suede Pads on my MK1's and stock on MK2's, IMO I don't think I lost any of the sub bass. Super duper comfy. One day I would like to try out the ZMF Eikon pads, they are the best lambskin pads I've come across back when I had the Eikons. Might give the 610 pads a try based of jmills recommendtion. The only thing that concerns me with the 610 pads is ear fatigue since the earhole looks rather small.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 10:46 AM Post #1,222 of 1,501
The Dekoni elite sheepskin are indeed thicker than stock pads and imo sound quite similar, more similar than the Eikon pads for sure.
(dekoni on left, stock on right)

Attachments

• 20220622_104213.jpg
    20220622_104213.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220622_104222.jpg
    20220622_104222.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
Jun 22, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #1,223 of 1,501
I found the Dekoni Elite Hybrid 900/610 pads eminently comfy, but I wasn't able to live with the resulting compromise in sound (particularly bass reduction). I could imagine the sheepskin might sound closer to stock.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #1,224 of 1,501
The Dekoni elite sheepskin are indeed thicker than stock pads and imo sound quite similar, more similar than the Eikon pads for sure.
What are your thoughts when using the Eikon pads? How's the quality of the Dekoni? I think I recall hearing mixed reviews.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #1,225 of 1,501
Thank you for the comparison pics. This is exactly what I was looking for👍

P.S. Do the Eikon pads increase or decrease the bass?

Jun 22, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #1,226 of 1,501
What are your thoughts when using the Eikon pads? How's the quality of the Dekoni? I think I recall hearing mixed reviews.
I prefer the Eikon pads. I find them more comfortable and I prefer the sound slightly more. As I mentioned the Eikon pads are brighter than both the Dekoni and stock pads. I was boosting the upper mids and lower treble on the stock and dekoni, but with the Eikon Pads I've either kept it at zero or lowered it a few db. I still boost the bass a bit on all 3 pads(I suppose I'm a bit of a basshead. lol).

The Eikon pads are larger and feel looser on the headphones by comparison, ie they slide around and up and down much easier. They do fit ofc just not as snuggly as the stock and dekoni pads.

The opening of the Eikon pads, as can be seen, are different as well. It's an oval shape compared to the round opening, and again is slightly larger. The opening on the Eikon is 7cm vertically and 5cm across vs the 5.7cm round opening on the Dekoni elite sheepskins. So if you have larger ears the Eikon's will probably fit better.
As far as thickness, they are almost exactly the same.

I can't really comment on long term quality of either pad as I've only had both for a short time. They both feel great and seem to be made well. Both are super soft. The Eikons might be just a very slight tad softer.

Thank you for the comparison pics. This is exactly what I was looking for👍

P.S. Do the Eikon pads increase or decrease the bass?
I just did a quick comparison again and confirmed what I first thought, yes the Eikon pads do have slightly more, and seemingly slightly tighter bass.

(dekoni on left, Eikon on right)

Attachments

• 20220622_124332.jpg
    20220622_124332.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220622_124413.jpg
    20220622_124413.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220622_124423.jpg
    20220622_124423.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
Jun 22, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #1,227 of 1,501
I prefer the Eikon pads. I find them more comfortable and I prefer the sound slightly more. As I mentioned the Eikon pads are brighter than both the Dekoni and stock pads. I was boosting the upper mids and lower treble on the stock and dekoni, but with the Eikon Pads I've either kept it at zero or lowered it a few db. I still boost the bass a bit on all 3 pads(I suppose I'm a bit of a basshead. lol).

The Eikon pads are larger and feel looser on the headphones by comparison, ie they slide around and up and down much easier. They do fit ofc just not as snuggly as the stock and dekoni pads.

The opening of the Eikon pads, as can be seen, are different as well. It's an oval shape compared to the round opening, and again is slightly larger. The opening on the Eikon is 7cm vertically and 5cm across vs the 5.7cm round opening on the Dekoni elite sheepskins. So if you have larger ears the Eikon's will probably fit better.
As far as thickness, they are almost exactly the same.

I can't really comment on long term quality of either pad as I've only had both for a short time. They both feel great and seem to be made well. Both are super soft. The Eikons might be just a very slight tad softer.

I just did a quick comparison again and confirmed what I first thought, yes the Eikon pads do have slightly more, and seemingly slightly tighter bass.

(dekoni on left, Eikon on right)
Awesome. Thanks!

Edit: I use to the have the Fostex Argon MK3 w/ZMF Lambskin pads, and thought that they were the most comfortable pads that I’ve ever worn.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #1,228 of 1,501
Some people don't like them but I kind of do. Custom color burgundy/black cozy to wrap around the headband. One added benefit that they do tend to 'glue' the headband to the head better than stock if you were to lean forward etc.

20220610_160349.jpg
Do they leave snap fastener impressions in the headband? I had something similar installed on Focals, and they left indentation marks. Thanks

Jun 22, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #1,229 of 1,501
Do they leave snap fastener impressions in the headband? I had something similar installed on Focals, and they left indentation marks. Thanks
It does leave very very slight indents where the buttons are. See pictures below. They are very very faint, have to look in the light to see. I suppose this could be easily fixed by applying some electrical tape or similar, cutting to button size, and applying to the underside of the button.

20220622_171509.jpg

20220622_171522.jpg

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #1,230 of 1,501
It does leave very very slight indents where the buttons are. See pictures below. They are very very faint, have to look in the light to see. I suppose this could be easily fixed by applying some electrical tape or similar, cutting to button size, and applying to the underside of the button.

Thanks for checking! Nowhere near as noticeable as they were on my Focals, but a wet hand towel and heat/steam removed the indentations. Just an FYI👍

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back