Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Nov 2, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #5,612 of 18,765
  Running them through a Burson Conductor atm; tried them with the WA6 too - but prefer them on the burson; keeps the bass tamed moreso.

I was getting these expecting to sell one of the other two... but i don't know now... may just keep all three :D

I don't like any of the three more than the other.. great to have choices.

My partner is appretiating the closed back too... not leaking so much and annoying her at night 
tongue.gif

My wife appreciates them too at night...on HER EARS! lol!

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #5,613 of 18,765
anybody here using PS Audio GCHA with Th900? Just wondering….

short version- it was my main phone for a while with the DAC -DLIII, was looking to sell it,
now I decided to put it back to use and I am liking what am hearing:) feeding it via MAC -Amarra thru Buffalo III and might have to keep it 

PS audio do make solid products, built to last, sent it off last summer for a look over prior to the warranty expiring and got top notch excellent customer service even being the second owner with no receipt

no longer in production  but if you have one  in the house, share your take on it

PS- does a decent job with HD800 too 

Nov 2, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #5,614 of 18,765
Can't speak to the GCHA, but I'm using the PS Audio PWD MKII with the TH900 today and the combination is awesome feeding through the V200 from my PC.  Hoping to have the network bridge soon to hear how it plays files over wifi.

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #5,615 of 18,765
Just got back from the San Diego meet and got a chance to try these (thanks Greed!). I think I've narrowed my headphones down to either these or the LCD-3's (scratched the HD800's off my list). I'm wondering if you guys think the treble sounds a little too aggressive or plasticky on these. The treble did seem kind of out there on some songs to me, but that was likely partly because it was loud at the meet and I had to turn them up. I'd be interested to hear if this is a problem for anyone in extended home use. I am loving the low-end weightiness to the sound, and the cups really don't come across properly in photos.

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #5,616 of 18,765
The treble can get a little out of control at times, but you get used to it. Been with them for 8 months now and I've largely grown accustomed to the treble presentation. Every now and then a track does still manage to make the monster read its pierc-y head.

:wink:

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #5,617 of 18,765
I'm wondering if you guys think the treble sounds a little too aggressive or plasticky on these. The treble did seem kind of out there on some songs to me, but that was likely partly because it was loud at the meet and I had to turn them up. I'd be interested to hear if this is a problem for anyone in extended home use..

See the last paragraph of my post here;
http://www.head-fi.org/t/631594/fostex-th600-dynamic-headphones/1365#post_9933845

I haven't experienced anything close to plasticky with the trebles on mine, but have in the past gotten that overly metallic (coin-in-mouth) taste at the highs. I attribute that to the Lavry DAC - highly resolving, but way too cold and analytical for my tastes - I was employing at the time, because it went away once I swapped to a more analog sounding Bladelius unit. Obviously, this is just my opinion. I suppose source and amp plays a huge role, just like with most summit-fi headphones, though it's better to go for musicality over technicalities with a rig pairing in the TH900's case, in my view. Transparency is good, but transparency with too much verbosity can sort of ruin the phone's natural sound.

Just my 2 cents.

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #5,618 of 18,765

Are you serious? Those 2 photos were from your iPhone?? If so, kudos to your major, major talent.

Thanks! I was never really taught, had a natural eye, went under someone and worked with fotog for a bit but quit. Too expensive. I'd rather just handle it with my iPhone nowadays. :p

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #5,619 of 18,765
For those that have upgraded their cables, how much improvement have you noticed?

Depends. I remember the bass being too much before. Now it's very obviously less and almost seems balanced. And I despise cable hyperbole, but I remember being very put off by the massive bass on the same tracks on the same iPhone that now seem to be fine. Big bass but not overpowering at all. I know it's not that I just got used to it since it was like that the moment I started listening to it after the recable job.

I might have to see if I can meet someone who has stock TH900s to compare. I'll soon compare it to the TH600 though if anyone's interested.

Nov 3, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #5,620 of 18,765
  Just got back from the San Diego meet and got a chance to try these (thanks Greed!). I think I've narrowed my headphones down to either these or the LCD-3's (scratched the HD800's off my list). I'm wondering if you guys think the treble sounds a little too aggressive or plasticky on these. The treble did seem kind of out there on some songs to me, but that was likely partly because it was loud at the meet and I had to turn them up. I'd be interested to hear if this is a problem for anyone in extended home use. I am loving the low-end weightiness to the sound, and the cups really don't come across properly in photos.

So far the treble doesn't seem to bother me.

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #5,621 of 18,765

See the last paragraph of my post here;
http://www.head-fi.org/t/631594/fostex-th600-dynamic-headphones/1365#post_9933845

I haven't experienced anything close to plasticky with the trebles on mine, but have in the past gotten that overly metallic (coin-in-mouth) taste at the highs. I attribute that to the Lavry DAC - highly resolving, but way too cold and analytical for my tastes - I was employing at the time, because it went away once I swapped to a more analog sounding Bladelius unit. Obviously, this is just my opinion. I suppose source and amp plays a huge role, just like with most summit-fi headphones, though it's better to go for musicality over technicalities with a rig pairing in the TH900's case, in my view. Transparency is good, but transparency with too much verbosity can sort of ruin the phone's natural sound.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh very interesting, this is the first I've heard of the TH900's changing over time.

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #5,622 of 18,765
Oh very interesting, this is the first I've heard of the TH900's changing over time.

Please note that this is just my uneducated assumption based on having two units on hand to test side-by-side, as stated in that linked post. 
I suppose it's not inconceivable for most/all manufacturers to quietly iron out "bugs" over the course of a model's production lifespan.

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:57 AM Post #5,623 of 18,765

I, too, went to the San Diego meet today and was impressed by the TH900.  I had never tried them before, but definitely liked them more than the LCD-3 and the HD800 (although I am curious to use the HD800 on my own set up for an extended period of time in a quiet room).  Of the three, I thought the TH900 had the most pleasing treble and best comfort (for me).  I'm not saying it was the most accurate, necessarily, just the treble I'd most want to listen to if I were to pick between the three.  They were so comfortable that I put them on and barely felt them.  That's definitely a good thing.  That said, I'm not sure I could justify the price.  Was a fun meet though. 

Nov 3, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #5,624 of 18,765
I am using mine with the Eximus DP1 and for some tracks that have particularly pronounced treble they can be a bit difficult to enjoy. That said, I have to go out of my way to find those tracks. On 98% of my music the TH900's deliver silky treble that I truly enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back