Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 8, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #5,536 of 18,765
Always take unboxing pics for all new toys out of habit / as future selling reference, though guess unnecessary for headphones
tongue.gif

Knew what would be getting having demoed the TH900 alongside HD800 and W3K. Mystifyingly good soundstage, bass that rocks, beautiful treble without harshness and also does not seem to be source / amp picky.

Makes me want to focus on exploring amps, waiting for state of play post-Canjam before committing to Pan Am or Analog Paper^2.
Only really interested by Alpha Dog or XC, but headphones can wait

Oct 8, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #5,537 of 18,765
I did not think that the Pan Am would do well with the TH900s but I was pleasantly surprised when I tried. I have not attempted a more thorough comparison between Pan Am and other amps in my inventory, but I can say it was enjoyable when I tried. 

Currently on a T1 phase again at the moment, but when I break out the TH900s I will strive to give you more impressions. 

For the moment, suffice to say that the Pan Am is powerful enough for the TH900s as they are so easy to drive compared to other high end cans. Low gain and barely 10am on the Pan Am is waaaay more than enough. On a two day trip with the Pan Am and TH900s, I did not at anytime yearn for my desktop rig (Soloist+M51). 

Still too chicken to try it on the Lyr. Probably never will. lol!

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #5,538 of 18,765
Just got my TH900 recabled for SE or balanced use. A big thanks to Girls Generation whose pictures prompted me to follow suit. Using it balanced now through the Gungnir/Mjolinir stack and let me tell y'all..........you already know it but what the heck ..... deep, punchy bass with great slam as required, nice mids (slightly less forward to my ears compared to the LCD-3) and beautiful treble. On the Mojo, I just had to turn the volume pot slightly above 9 o'clock to get all the detail I need to hear. Playing Alan Parsons, I heard instruments that I had not heard with my other cans, even the LCD 2.2.

Very very early days but I think I have  found my end-game in dynamic, closed-end HPs. 

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #5,539 of 18,765
  I did not think that the Pan Am would do well with the TH900s but I was pleasantly surprised when I tried. I have not attempted a more thorough comparison between Pan Am and other amps in my inventory, but I can say it was enjoyable when I tried. 

Currently on a T1 phase again at the moment, but when I break out the TH900s I will strive to give you more impressions. 

For the moment, suffice to say that the Pan Am is powerful enough for the TH900s as they are so easy to drive compared to other high end cans. Low gain and barely 10am on the Pan Am is waaaay more than enough. On a two day trip with the Pan Am and TH900s, I did not at anytime yearn for my desktop rig (Soloist+M51). 

Still too chicken to try it on the Lyr. Probably never will. lol!

i'd very happy with T1 and TH-900. they complement each other well, and though different, are quite similar in many ways i think.

Oct 12, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #5,542 of 18,765
Have only been able listen for a couple of hours but I'm loving my 900s. Big thank you to Todd and Brian at TTVJ for the great service!!

So far am only using straight from an Oppo BDP-105... Need to start considering amp options!

Oct 14, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #5,543 of 18,765
Speaking of amps, I popped by CanJam this weekend (I live in the area) and listened to the HP-A4 with the th600 & th900, as well as the vacuum tube amplifier prototype. Both were better than I was expecting - quite good actually. 

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #5,544 of 18,765
Finally got a real listening session with my TH-900 with my ECP L-2, and I have to say I was worried about the comments about recessed midrange, but I don't hear any of it.  And I am surprised how I enjoy the bass weight of the phones because I usually am not a bass focused listener.  I usually prefer vocal and midrange magic.  I like how they are nimble and speedy without sacrificing weight.

I bought these as a curiosity just to compare to my W3000ANV and thought I would quickly sell them, but it's going to take a little bit to find out the winner.  The W3000ANV's ethereal vocals will be hard to beat but it wasn't a quick KO like I had thought going into the battle.

I do notice that I turn up the volume a little bit more with the TH-900 than the W3000ANV's and that's probably related to the discussion a couple pages back.

The TH-900 are also infinitely more comfortable than the W3000ANVs, and come close to the SR-007 as the most comfortable headphones I've worn.

Oct 16, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #5,545 of 18,765
Weird because I tend to turn the volume up a bit more on the TH900 as well, despite its more prominent treble... I did hypothesize that because of the slightly less forward vocals, people subconsciously try to turn the volume up to make up for the distance. I don't know if this is entirely true myself since I don't feel that I'm raising the volume because of the vocals, but rather something else entirely which I can't pin point.

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #5,546 of 18,765
  Weird because I tend to turn the volume up a bit more on the TH900 as well, despite its more prominent treble... I did hypothesize that because of the slightly less forward vocals, people subconsciously try to turn the volume up to make up for the distance. I don't know if this is entirely true myself since I don't feel that I'm raising the volume because of the vocals, but rather something else entirely which I can't pin point.

Huh ! I have had the opposite effect compared to the Audez'e cans. I cannot seem to go past 9 on the dial for the 900. But when I go louder on the planars, its only up to 10 so it might not seem to be a big deal after all.

Oct 16, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #5,547 of 18,765
For optimal soundstage and imaging in the TH-900, might it be recommended to position them on the ear in any certain way? For example, it might be recommended to wear the headphones low and forward on the head?

Oct 16, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #5,549 of 18,765
For optimal soundstage and imaging in the TH-900, might it be recommended to position them on the ear in any certain way? For example, it might be recommended to wear the headphones low and forward on the head?

I wear mine low and centered. But I fully agree with GG, everyone is different.

Oct 16, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #5,550 of 18,765
i have better sound using it like the left guy of the three - head band leaning forward to the face - don't know the reason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back