Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #5,221 of 18,761
Quote:
+1 - I agree, most of what I read on Headfonia seems like bias garble. Nothing seems genuine and many of his reviews seem like they have an agenda. Not dissing his style or even his knowledge of audio equipment, but I take what he says with a HUGH grain of salt. Honestly, user reviews from experienced members are much better indications of what is true and what is just plain hyperbole. 

In fairness to Mike every review declares any affiliations so the text can be read accordingly. In general between every professional audio site and forums, a general consensus for a given dac, amp or headphone tends to emerge imo - despite personal perception and all that. The opinions or comments that are "left field" stand out and make themselves known. With that said you should read what he thinks of the Pico Power in the Q&A section
biggrin.gif

To relate to this thread, the people who consider the mids mildly recessed or only the lower mids are recessed far outnumber the people who think TH900 mids are "very recessed"

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #5,222 of 18,761
Quote:
I tried to EQ the bass down and mids up a bit. But I felt like I was "losing" the Fostex sound. It became boring... no longer unique. So I had to shut off the EQ. :)

I use the EQ setting below in foobar2000. Sounds really sweet to my ears.

Disclaimer: I love mids. This really brings them, and to an extent the highs, forward. However, the sound is still balanced IMO. YMMV

Aug 23, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #5,223 of 18,761

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
With this talking about issues with the sound signature of these headphones, what are the other low leakage high-end headphones that can be considered?

Beyerdynamic T5p, and the upcoming T51p, Mr. Speakers Alpha Dogs, Ultrasone Ed. 8.

Never had the others, but I had the ED8s. Sure they're a valid consideration, but IMO they have way more issues (metallic highs, lack of detail, price way too high for the overall sound quality, their shape may mean they annoy your ears) than the Fostex. No point going deeper into these on this thread. The Ultrasone Sig Pros may be an option you could consider. At way less money than the ED8s (at least in the UK), they're a more viable proposition ... but TH900s sound way, way better, and as such are so still offer more value IMO.

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #5,224 of 18,761
Quote:

Never had the others, but I had the ED8s. Sure they're a valid consideration, but IMO they have way more issues (metallic highs, lack of detail, price way too high for the overall sound quality, their shape may mean they annoy your ears) than the Fostex. No point going deeper into these on this thread. The Ultrasone Sig Pros may be an option you could consider. At way less money than the ED8s (at least in the UK), they're a more viable proposition ... but TH900s sound way, way better, and as such are so still offer more value IMO.

Further to that, Anakchan mention that he walked into a shop with the intention of buying the SIg Pro but walked out with the TH900..

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #5,225 of 18,761
ED8 is easily one of the worst headphones I've ever had...
It is simply unlistenable, I found I would rather listen to beats pro than those...
Nonetheless, I had them 3 times... tried so hard to love them because they look really gorgeous, but failed... miserably.

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #5,226 of 18,761
Quote:

I use the EQ setting below in foobar2000. Sounds really sweet to my ears.

Disclaimer: I love mids. This really brings them, and to an extent the highs, forward. However, the sound is still balanced IMO. YMMV

Wow, this really did hit a sweet spot for me. But going back to Foobar... It's UI is vastly more complicated than iTunes. What a shame :frowning2:

In case anyone's curious, I was listening to this soundtrack.

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #5,227 of 18,761
ED8 is easily one of the worst headphones I've ever had...
It is simply unlistenable, I found I would rather listen to beats pro than those...
Nonetheless, I had them 3 times... tried so hard to love them because they look really gorgeous, but failed... miserably.

If only Ultrasone could outsource the drivers and acoustic design and just focus on the external aesthetics....

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #5,228 of 18,761
hey there. kinda torn between these and the w3000anv. anyone here have both coz i got a few questions.

Aug 24, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #5,229 of 18,761
Aug 24, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #5,230 of 18,761
Quote:
Wow, this really did hit a sweet spot for me. But going back to Foobar... It's UI is vastly more complicated than iTunes. What a shame :frowning2:

???? how is foobar complicated

itz so ez

Aug 24, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #5,231 of 18,761
Quote:
If only Ultrasone could outsource the drivers and acoustic design and just focus on the external aesthetics....

No, they are on the right path since releasing the Signature series. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #5,232 of 18,761
Quote:

???? how is foobar complicated

itz so ez

Hmm, complicated was probably the wrong word. More... ugly I guess? 

But I'll save that for another time. Best to be on topic.

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #5,233 of 18,761

The soundtrack is great with the TH-900. The game itself, played using the TH-900 is spectacular! The extra level of immersion into the game is an experience all to itself. Rain pelting glass, roofs, walls, the rolling thunder, gunshots, molotov explosions! Ack! Brilliant game. Brilliant scoring, brilliant sound effects. Brilliant headphones. Awesome experience.

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #5,234 of 18,761
Quote:
The soundtrack is great with the TH-900. The game itself, played using the TH-900 is spectacular! The extra level of immersion into the game is an experience all to itself. Rain pelting glass, roofs, walls, the rolling thunder, gunshots, molotov explosions! Ack! Brilliant game. Brilliant scoring, brilliant sound effects. Brilliant headphones. Awesome experience.

I beat the game in 2 days... "great" value for 60 dollars T.T kinda regreted the rush...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back