Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM Post #3,766 of 18,761
Prices are on there:  What's your budget?

http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7/M7EN.htm

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Reference10/RE10EN.htm

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB27/NFB27EN.htm

Also:

http://bursonaudio.com/Burson_Conductor.html  -  I think around 2K.  Not sure.

Mar 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #3,767 of 18,761
Quote:
Prices are on there:  What's your budget?

http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-7/M7EN.htm

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Reference10/RE10EN.htm

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB27/NFB27EN.htm

Also:

http://bursonaudio.com/Burson_Conductor.html  -  I think around 2K.  Not sure.

[size=10pt]My budget is $2k, excluding headphones since I have someone who can get the TH900 for free. The Audio-gd Reference-10 seems to be a good AIO (combo) unit and is the same price as the Burson Conductor ($1,850). Which is the better AIO unit out of those 2?[/size]

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #3,768 of 18,761
I have no idea.  
biggrin.gif

I guess you can go on each thread and ask a few questions.  But don't ask which one is better.  You'll get the Conductor in the conductor thread.. You'll get the Ref. 10 in the Ref. 10 thread.  So ask a few questions that the answers will fit your needs the best.  

By the looks of it the Ref. 10 has two different outputs which is a good thing for me.
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM Post #3,769 of 18,761
Just a seldom-mentioned amp (or maybe DAC/AMP combo for the Fostexes):
My TH900s are spectacular with my Rudistor RPX010B (it is especially good in the bass, where it firms up the bass and gives a great bass texture, great bass grip, and bass detail and speed),
so maybe a DAC-X3o amp/dac (< $2000) or an RPX-35 is worth trying (I have *not* heard these).

Mar 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM Post #3,770 of 18,761
Quote:
I have no idea.  
biggrin.gif

I guess you can go on each thread and ask a few questions.  But don't ask which one is better.  You'll get the Conductor in the conductor thread.. You'll get the Ref. 10 in the Ref. 10 thread.  So ask a few questions that the answers will fit your needs the best.  

By the looks of it the Ref. 10 has two different outputs which is a good thing for me.
biggrin.gif

Yeah at least I don't want it to turn into a flaming war on which AIO is better. So many choices and I have to narrow them down. This is exciting though to get something what I really want and not regret buying them 
cool.gif

Just a seldom-mentioned amp (or maybe DAC/AMP combo for the Fostexes):
My TH900s are spectacular with my Rudistor RPX010B (it is especially good in the bass, where it firms up the bass and gives a great bass texture, great bass grip, and bass detail and speed),
so maybe a DAC-X3o or an RPX-35 is worth trying (I have *not* heard these).

Ah there was someone who put a list of amps to use with the D7000 and TH900 on here. It had some that works and others to avoid.

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #3,771 of 18,761
The TH900’s arrived today. I usually don’t write reviews for my new toys. Besides, other reviewers on this forum have articulated the pros and cons of these phones quit nicely and have vast more knowledge and experience when comparing these cans to other makes and models. So what do I have to add? Well probably very little but there are just so good, I felt compelled. So if you are tired of reading another TH900 review, please skip over this one. I won’t be offended. If not, well here it goes:

My primary audio source is delivered via vinyl by a Rega RP8 turntable (Transfiguration Axia cartridge) and a Heed Quasar phono stage amp. The headphones are driven by a Woo Audio WA6SE headphone amp (Sophia Princess 274B, RCA 6FD7’s).

First off, I have to mention that I purchased my 900’s from PriceJapan. No problems. I put my order in on a late Wed. night and received them at my door the next Wed. at noon. I would have rather purchased the headphones from one of the many fine U.S. dealers. However, no one was having a sale and I could not pass up savings of almost $300 by ordering through PriceJapan.

Just two boxes when unpacking, one contained the headphones, the other the headphone stand. Regarding the latter, I had read about the stand being made out of “wire”. My stand was not this but a rather sturdy one-piece stand. The warranty card was written in Japanese. However the manual actually had a section translated into English. This is how I learned that the right cup has a thin silver ring on it while the left one doesn’t. I had read about the beauty of the cups and I was not disappointed. Just beautiful. However, I didn’t buy these for their good looks.

My first listen was Donald Fagen’s Sunken Condos. The album is so well produced that I was not surprised to have been immediately taken into sonic bless. As others have commented, bass was tight and full (not bloated), with the high frequency not being too bright or harsh. I know some have commented on the perception that the mids are somewhat recess, but this was not my impression. This may have been due partially to the phono cartridge I use which is known to accent the mid range. Even though people have made reference to the clarity of these phones, I was taken back by how good the separation of instruments and vocals were. In fact, I was able to hear background talking on a track of Cold Blood’s Sisyphus that was obviously a mistake during a guitar solo. Next up was Rick James’s, Come Get It. Not exactly a reference record but again, the clarity was just amazing. The Clavinet tracks (mids) were so distinct (and funky). For the finale, I broke out two of my Pink Floyd 180 gram albums, Wish You Where Here and Dark Side of the Moon. The analog synths were warm and again the separation stunning. These phones are truly fun!

One other impression is how comfortable these headphones are. I have now spent long listening sessions with them and hardly realize that I have them on.

If I had to comment on any minor faults it would be that the sound stage is not as wide as one might expect from phones in this price range. Also, as others have commented, even though these are closed headphones, they do “leak” considerably.

Finally, I was intrigued by the recent conversations of “black background” regarding these phones. I must say that I noticed a lack of “blackness” when listening to albums through the 900’s. I was able to reduce the ambient noise somewhat by turning off the Heed phono stage (SS) while keeping the WA6SE on. I am not sure if the background noise is being picked up by the phono cartridge or, if it is a factor of using non hi fi cabling. Overall, my guess is that this has nothing to do with the 900’s but is more of an issue with my sources.

Now before I close, I have to say that I was aware of the psychological phenomenon known as Cognitive Dissonance. That is, the more one pays for any item, the more one will likely attribute positive attributes to that item. I’m not sure if I fell victim to this. All I can say is wow; I know that they sounded damn good, right out of the box, no burn in. I am sure that other headphones in this price range are also as amazing. However, at this point, I have no need to search elsewhere.

Oh, one other negative. I still have to find a way to explain to my wife the cost of these headphones and why this was an imperative purchase. Any suggestions along these lines would be appreciated. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #3,772 of 18,761
Quote:
The TH900’s arrived today. I usually don’t write reviews for my new toys. Besides, other reviewers on this forum have articulated the pros and cons of these phones quit nicely and have vast more knowledge and experience when comparing these cans to other makes and models. So what do I have to add? Well probably very little but there are just so good, I felt compelled. So if you are tired of reading another TH900 review, please skip over this one. I won’t be offended. If not, well here it goes:

My primary audio source is delivered via vinyl by a Rega RP8 turntable (Transfiguration Axia cartridge) and a Heed Quasar phono stage amp. The headphones are driven by a Woo Audio WA6SE headphone amp (Sophia Princess 274B, RCA 6FD7’s).

First off, I have to mention that I purchased my 900’s from PriceJapan. No problems. I put my order in on a late Wed. night and received them at my door the next Wed. at noon. I would have rather purchased the headphones from one of the many fine U.S. dealers. However, no one was having a sale and I could not pass up savings of almost $300 by ordering through PriceJapan.

Just two boxes when unpacking, one contained the headphones, the other the headphone stand. Regarding the latter, I had read about the stand being made out of “wire”. My stand was not this but a rather sturdy one-piece stand. The warranty card was written in Japanese. However the manual actually had a section translated into English. This is how I learned that the right cup has a thin silver ring on it while the left one doesn’t. I had read about the beauty of the cups and I was not disappointed. Just beautiful. However, I didn’t buy these for their good looks.

My first listen was Donald Fagen’s Sunken Condos. The album is so well produced that I was not surprised to have been immediately taken into sonic bless. As others have commented, bass was tight and full (not bloated), with the high frequency not being too bright or harsh. I know some have commented on the perception that the mids are somewhat recess, but this was not my impression. This may have been due partially to the phono cartridge I use which is known to accent the mid range. Even though people have made reference to the clarity of these phones, I was taken back by how good the separation of instruments and vocals were. In fact, I was able to hear background talking on a track of Cold Blood’s Sisyphus that was obviously a mistake during a guitar solo. Next up was Rick James’s, Come Get It. Not exactly a reference record but again, the clarity was just amazing. The Clavinet tracks (mids) were so distinct (and funky). For the finale, I broke out two of my Pink Floyd 180 gram albums, Whish You Where Here and Dark Side of the Moon. The analog synths were warm and again the separation stunning. These phones are truly fun!

One other impression is how comfortable these headphones are. I have now spent long listening sessions with them and hardly realize that I have them on.

If I had to comment on any minor faults it would be that the sound stage is not as wide as one might expect from phones in this price range. Also, as others have commented, even though these are closed headphones, they do “leak” considerably.

Finally, I was intrigued by the recent conversations of “black background” regarding these phones. I must say that I noticed a lack of “blackness” when listening to albums through the 900’s. I was able to reduce the ambient noise somewhat by turning off the Heed phono stage (SS) while keeping the WA6SE on. I am not sure if the background noise is being picked up by the phono cartridge or, if it is a factor of using non hi fi cabling. Overall, my guess is that this has nothing to do with the 900’s but is more of an issue with my sources.

Now before I close, I have to say that I was aware of the psychological phenomenon known as Cognitive Dissonance. That is, the more one pays for any item, the more one will likely attribute positive attributes to that item. I’m not sure if I fell victim to this. All I can say is wow; I know that they sounded damn good, right out of the box, no burn in. I am sure that other headphones in this price range are also as amazing. However, at this point, I have no need to search elsewhere.

Oh, one other negative. I still have to find a way to explain to my wife the cost of these headphones and why this was an imperative purchase. Any suggestions along these lines would be appreciated. 

Nice review, and very interesting to read. It seems like most TH-900 owners feel the same way, myself included.

Mar 24, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #3,773 of 18,761
Quote:
Yeah at least I don't want it to turn into a flaming war on which AIO is better. So many choices and I have to narrow them down. This is exciting though to get something what I really want and not regret buying them 
cool.gif

Ah there was someone who put a list of amps to use with the D7000 and TH900 on here. It had some that works and others to avoid.

Do you need it to have a remote control? There are a couple of All in ones that have remotes too. I have the Grace M903 and I really like it. Lots of power, great Bass, smooth highs. 
wink.gif

Mar 24, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #3,774 of 18,761
@tmacb Thanks for the thorough review. I knew the Woo Audio WA6SE works on these headphones pretty well since other Woo Audio products don't work with the TH900. So it doesn't have a wider soundstage and they do leak despite being closed headphones. As for your wife, well I don't have anything to say since the headphones are very expensive despite being slightly cheaper on PriceJapan. Now you convince me that these headphones are very good despite the negatives. I just need an amp + DAC to drive the TH900.

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #3,776 of 18,761
Has anyone tried the Schitt Mjolnir + Gungnir combo on the TH-900? For 2 separate units, it seems like a good deal. Otherwise, I might have to increase my budget to $3k excluding headphones for AIO or separate units.

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #3,778 of 18,761
Bad choice IMO. Never tried but also never would. Even if you re-cabled the TH900, something I wouldn't do from the start, the Mjolnir is way OP and probably would hear some background noise since there is no gain setting and the TH900 are uber sensitive. 

Mar 24, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #3,779 of 18,761
Quote:
Has anyone tried the Schitt Mjolnir + Gungnir combo on the TH-900? For 2 separate units, it seems like a good deal. Otherwise, I might have to increase my budget to $3k excluding headphones for AIO or separate units.

Seriously, don't! Not only does Mjolnir lack singled-ended outputs (meaning you'll have to recable the TH900 which will cost you more money since the TH900's wire is not detachable and probably reduce its resale value in the future), Mjolnir's high power output is overkill for such sensitive headphones and may actually introduce noise or other sonic flaws, not to mention the danger of damaging those expensive cans. Do yourself a favor and look for something else.

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #3,780 of 18,761
Quote:

My first listen was Donald Fagen’s Sunken Condos. The album is so well produced that I was not surprised to have been immediately taken into sonic bless. As others have commented, bass was tight and full (not bloated), with the high frequency not being too bright or harsh. I know some have commented on the perception that the mids are somewhat recess, but this was not my impression. This may have been due partially to the phono cartridge I use which is known to accent the mid range. Even though people have made reference to the clarity of these phones, I was taken back by how good the separation of instruments and vocals were. In fact, I was able to hear background talking on a track of Cold Blood’s Sisyphus that was obviously a mistake during a guitar solo. Next up was Rick James’s, Come Get It. Not exactly a reference record but again, the clarity was just amazing. The Clavinet tracks (mids) were so distinct (and funky). For the finale, I broke out two of my Pink Floyd 180 gram albums, Wish You Where Here and Dark Side of the Moon. The analog synths were warm and again the separation stunning. These phones are truly fun!

Nice write up tmacb3.. welcome to the TH900 club 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back