Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 15, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #3,601 of 18,761
Quote:
... and I'm just not enamored with the HD800s - I mean they are all right, but so clinical.  So many head-fiers have described the Fostex as "fun" and I have surely been missing the fun in my listening.    
So I plugged them into the Lyr and hit play on my favorite Bach organ recording.  The Prelude and Fugue in B- is almost instantly into the low pedals and the Fostex just grumbled "Is this what you've been missing?"  Yes! 

Yes, I share the same feelings about the HD800 on the low registers. I prefer closed cans mostly for this reason.

Mar 15, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #3,602 of 18,761
Quote:
Hmm, I've never met anyone who wouldn't be willing to declare a low value for import tax purposes.

All chinese sellers I have encountered in the last 20 years :D
and a few friends from USA.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #3,603 of 18,761
Quote:

That's unfortunate, I also help international buyers out because I for one think it is crazy to charge that high of import tax, especially when the product can't even be obtained in your own country... I mean come on...

Quote:
These puppies are getting harder to resist. I'm planning on making an entrance into "summit-fi" soon and these are inching towards the top of my list. That they're comfy and closed without slouching doesn't hurt either.

My current daily driver are my Starkey(now m-fidelity?)SA-43 CIEMs but I'm ready for full-sized cansand I've actually never owned closed back cans before.

Since I'm located in Norway, prices fluctuate a lot more seeing how most high-end phones only have one reseller here.

So far I've narrowed it down to the trinity of Senn HD800, Audeze LCD3 and The TH900s. (SR009 and electrostatics are just way out of reach for now).

The HD800s I can get the cheapest of the three at 1600USD, no need to import and has removable cables which is a plus, but I prefer more "exciting" sounding phones to the super analytical and a phone that is easy to match with a number of amps is preferred.

The Audeze LCD3 would be the most expensive, the ones I've lusted after the longest, has removable cables and seem to be the most raved about phone of the three, importing would be the way to go here as the Norwegian reseller is pricegouging. Importing would probably end up at about 2500 USD+.

The Fostex which is my current frontrunner I can get locally for about 2150 USD. Importing would cost me around 1400USD + 350USD Import tax + Shipping. 

Decisions, decisions.

That is a tough decision! I have all three now, and I would definitely recommend the TH-900's if your amp/dac choices are limited. Both the LCD-3 and HD800 are amp and even dac sensitive IMO. They sound great out of mid-fi equipment, but you won't get that "wow" factor unless you are ready to put down some serious coin to unleash their full potential!

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #3,604 of 18,761
Quote:
Two Days In ...

The Fostex AH900s showed up late on Wednesday.  I kept checking the UPS site to make sure they hadn't been delivered to someone else, but at 5:41 pm the big, brown truck came roaring around the corner.  I signed for a big box from HeadRoom and put it on my desk for later.  No time as I had a Bible study to teach.  It was so late that I couldn't even rationalize ripping them open to listen to the Messiah or the St. Matthew Passion as prep for Bible study.

Later that evening I took my time and carefully opened the boxes.  At this point I'm sure they will be going back.  After all the reading I had done on head-fi and all the reviews on the web, I knew I had to hear them.  But there was no way they could be that much better than my LCD2s or HD800s, right?  I've pretty much given up on the LCD2s because they are so uncomfortable, and I'm just not enamored with the HD800s - I mean they are all right, but so clinical.  So many head-fiers have described the Fostex as "fun" and I have surely been missing the fun in my listening.  

So I plugged them into the Lyr and hit play on my favorite Bach organ recording.  The Prelude and Fugue in B- is almost instantly into the low pedals and the Fostex just grumbled "Is this what you've been missing?"  Yes!  I was planning to listen to the pedal entrance and then switch to hear something else, but I couldn't.  It was organ, it was a glorious as hearing the Great Organ at Methuen (fortunately an hour away, on any Wed night in the summer - listen to Michael Murray's Telarc recording).  The double basses in Shostakovich's 11th growled, the low horns on almost any symphony I listened to, ... the bass was really incredible.  But the strange thing was, that even though it was there and powerful, I didn't have the sense that the Fostex was saying, "Hey, I've got great bass, don't I?  Just listen to my bass!"  It was much more like the bass fit into the music, it was surely doing it's part in holding the music together, but it wasn't covering the violins, or the flute, or recorder, or the soprano.  So far these headphones have a greater sense of musical fit than I've experienced.  They are much more than a headphone for listening to Bach organ and saying, "Wow the pedals are there."  They are singing with all the stops.

These are super clear, super fast phones.  I am hearing stuff I never noticed - fingers on the cello and piano, noises in the background of the recording (I keep turning around to see who walked in the room only to find that it was a slight noise on a recording that I'm familiar with and have never heard).  This comes after years with the HD800s and the LCD2s!  I didn't think there would be a great difference between the Fostex and the others, but for me it's an order of magnitude difference.  

I want to report that these are incredibly comfortable as well.  I had them on my head for hours yesterday and no fatigue, no neck pain.  At times they seem to disappear from my head, which the LCD2s never did on their best day.  They are at least as comfortable as the HD800s and maybe a touch more because the pads are more pliable.  

Well, that's my 2 cents worth.  Thanks for all the posts that drove me to get them.  I appreciate the time you all take to make Head-Fi such an expensive place!

Blessings

Very nice review! Glad you are enjoying the TH-900's, I know I am
darthsmile.gif

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #3,605 of 18,761
Shockingly, the Schiit Magni is a passable amp for the TH900. Better than passable, really, more in the area of "respectable". It would definitely get a person by while they save for something upscale.

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #3,606 of 18,761
Two Days In ...

The Fostex AH900s showed up late on Wednesday.  I kept checking the UPS site to make sure they hadn't been delivered to someone else, but at 5:41 pm the big, brown truck came roaring around the corner.  I signed for a big box from HeadRoom and put it on my desk for later.  No time as I had a Bible study to teach.  It was so late that I couldn't even rationalize ripping them open to listen to the Messiah or the St. Matthew Passion as prep for Bible study.

Later that evening I took my time and carefully opened the boxes.  At this point I'm sure they will be going back.  After all the reading I had done on head-fi and all the reviews on the web, I knew I had to hear them.  But there was no way they could be that much better than my LCD2s or HD800s, right?  I've pretty much given up on the LCD2s because they are so uncomfortable, and I'm just not enamored with the HD800s - I mean they are all right, but so clinical.  So many head-fiers have described the Fostex as "fun" and I have surely been missing the fun in my listening.  

So I plugged them into the Lyr and hit play on my favorite Bach organ recording.  The Prelude and Fugue in B- is almost instantly into the low pedals and the Fostex just grumbled "Is this what you've been missing?"  Yes!  I was planning to listen to the pedal entrance and then switch to hear something else, but I couldn't.  It was organ, it was a glorious as hearing the Great Organ at Methuen (fortunately an hour away, on any Wed night in the summer - listen to Michael Murray's Telarc recording).  The double basses in Shostakovich's 11th growled, the low horns on almost any symphony I listened to, ... the bass was really incredible.  But the strange thing was, that even though it was there and powerful, I didn't have the sense that the Fostex was saying, "Hey, I've got great bass, don't I?  Just listen to my bass!"  It was much more like the bass fit into the music, it was surely doing it's part in holding the music together, but it wasn't covering the violins, or the flute, or recorder, or the soprano.  So far these headphones have a greater sense of musical fit than I've experienced.  They are much more than a headphone for listening to Bach organ and saying, "Wow the pedals are there."  They are singing with all the stops.

These are super clear, super fast phones.  I am hearing stuff I never noticed - fingers on the cello and piano, noises in the background of the recording (I keep turning around to see who walked in the room only to find that it was a slight noise on a recording that I'm familiar with and have never heard).  This comes after years with the HD800s and the LCD2s!  I didn't think there would be a great difference between the Fostex and the others, but for me it's an order of magnitude difference.  

I want to report that these are incredibly comfortable as well.  I had them on my head for hours yesterday and no fatigue, no neck pain.  At times they seem to disappear from my head, which the LCD2s never did on their best day.  They are at least as comfortable as the HD800s and maybe a touch more because the pads are more pliable.  

Well, that's my 2 cents worth.  Thanks for all the posts that drove me to get them.  I appreciate the time you all take to make Head-Fi such an expensive place!

Blessings
the best closed headphones for classical music bar none!

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #3,607 of 18,761
Quote:
Two Days In ...

Blessings

Thank you for your deliberate and cogent thoughts on your experience. Good to read your well-formed thoughts on these headphones! Can't wait for mine to come in (they just got shipped out today from PriceJapan).

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #3,608 of 18,761
Quote:
Two Days In ...

Blessings

Hey congrats! Just be careful, I wouldn't plug my TH-900s into the Lyr...EVER! The Lyr blew my Ed. 8LEs a few years back and I would only recommend that amp for orthos.
Quote:
These puppies are getting harder to resist. I'm planning on making an entrance into "summit-fi" soon and these are inching towards the top of my list. That they're comfy and closed without slouching doesn't hurt either.

My current daily driver are my Starkey(now m-fidelity?)SA-43 CIEMs but I'm ready for full-sized cansand I've actually never owned closed back cans before.

Since I'm located in Norway, prices fluctuate a lot more seeing how most high-end phones only have one reseller here.

So far I've narrowed it down to the trinity of Senn HD800, Audeze LCD3 and The TH900s. (SR009 and electrostatics are just way out of reach for now).

The HD800s I can get the cheapest of the three at 1600USD, no need to import and has removable cables which is a plus, but I prefer more "exciting" sounding phones to the super analytical and a phone that is easy to match with a number of amps is preferred.

The Audeze LCD3 would be the most expensive, the ones I've lusted after the longest, has removable cables and seem to be the most raved about phone of the three, importing would be the way to go here as the Norwegian reseller is pricegouging. Importing would probably end up at about 2500 USD+.

The Fostex which is my current frontrunner I can get locally for about 2150 USD. Importing would cost me around 1400USD + 350USD Import tax + Shipping. 

Decisions, decisions.

If you need isolation, the TH-900s are a no brainer. But if you're in for pure sound, I prefer my LCD-3s over either the HD800 or TH-900. So it kinda depends what you're looking for. If you listen to mostly classical, then maybe the HD800s are for you?

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #3,610 of 18,761
Quote:
I have heard the LCD-2 and admire their clarity but felt it was lacking in the midbass region, I also love it's warmth and lushness. I was wondering how does the TH-900 compare against it?

The midbass region of the TH900 is very good, better than that of the LCD-2 in my opinion. However, the relatively laid-back mids of the TH900 leaves something to be desired. A decent amp can bring the mids somewhat forward.

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #3,611 of 18,761
Quote:

There is one problem with declaring lower value - if the shipment gets damaged/lost the courier would respond only for that value+shipping cost, so it's all responsibility of the seller. With high volumes, chinese sellers usually do take this cost, refunding or resending the item. In most cases aren't items over 1k value.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #3,612 of 18,761
Quote:

The midbass region of the TH900 is very good, better than that of the LCD-2 in my opinion. However, the relatively laid-back mids of the TH900 leaves something to be desired. A decent amp can bring the mids somewhat forward.

Thanks for your reply but when you mean very good, does it mean the quantity goes up too, because though quality
is kinda important, I think there's no use looking at quality when the quantity is lacking.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:10 AM Post #3,613 of 18,761
Quote:
There is one problem with declaring lower value - if the shipment gets damaged/lost the courier would respond only for that value+shipping cost, so it's all responsibility of the seller. With high volumes, chinese sellers usually do take this cost, refunding or resending the item. In most cases aren't items over 1k value.

It's a risk most of us are willing to take :) What are the chances that the item actually does get damaged during shipping? On the other hand, custom tax on foreign goods can be exorbitant with products like the TH900 if declared at face value.

Mar 16, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #3,614 of 18,761
The mids aren't that laid back. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back