Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Apr 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #242 of 18,761
I'll be up early!  :)

For now, after a lot of a/b-ing with all my phones and my three favorite genres, The AD2000, A2000X, W5000 and HD800 can leave the house after having been in the pit with the D7000, W3000 and L3000. All but the A2000X were pretty close though, and the A2000X was on pair with the HD800 for classical music, but the D7000 still won my ears in that area.
Same goes for the ESW10JPN, ES88 and ES10 that fell to their knees before the AH-A100.
FWIW, IMO, etc.. of course. Keep in mind that I seem to favor closed cans to open ones more and more each day.

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #243 of 18,761

Quote:
My TH900 has arrived. First impressions to follow tomorrow morning.

Very interested in reading your impressions. Hopefully there will be pictures too 
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #244 of 18,761

Quote:
I'll be up early!  :)

For now, after a lot of a/b-ing with all my phones and my three favorite genres, The AD2000, A2000X, W5000 and HD800 can leave the house after having been in the pit with the D7000, W3000 and L3000. All but the A2000X were pretty close though, and the A2000X was on pair with the HD800 for classical music, but the D7000 still won my ears in that area.
Same goes for the ESW10JPN, ES88 and ES10 that fell to their knees before the AH-A100.
FWIW, IMO, etc.. of course. Keep in mind that I seem to favor closed cans to open ones more and more each day.

The D7000s have really been one of the best cans I have heard, they do so well in everything, the only other can I own/have owned that I slightly prefer with certain genres is the Ultrasone Signature Pro because they have better detail retrieval but lose to the Denons in soundstage.

Apr 4, 2012 at 9:05 PM Post #247 of 18,761
My TH900 has arrived. First impressions to follow tomorrow morning.

I look forward to seeing how your observations compare with my notes. :)

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #249 of 18,761
A whole page waiting for your impressions MF, no pressure!

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #250 of 18,761
Congratulations!

When you're ready to post impressions, can you also please provide the information about the headphone stand? Once, Jude commented that the headphone stand isn't that great.

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #251 of 18,761
Cross-posted from my diary thread:

"So, the TH900 is on my head, finally....

-Packaging is HUEG OMG. It's like a videogame console rather than a headphone.
-The included headphone stand is kind of stupid in a "seems like it would tip over easily and dents the headband" kind of way.
-Build quality of the TH900 is gorgeous, with an extreme attention to detail. The lacquer cups trump the W3000ANV's for beauty in my humble opinion. The plug has platinum over it. Gorgeous.
-Very comfortable to wear, similar to the Denon line that Fostex made. I imagine the isolation is equally poor as well.

The sound is... pleasant. Well balanced. For some reason I find it a bit difficult to describe this morning, as there's no truly distinct coloration jumping out at me (I guess I've been listening to FADs too much?). Listening to bass heavy tracks, these have the D7000's lower end capability alright, but over the package is much more refined. The highs are silky smooth. Thankfully inoffensive. The mids have a bit of a recessed quality I recognize from the Denon line as well, but it seems less distinct to me, better integrated into the overall sound signature as a whole. It's not as noticeable on a given track to my ears in other words. Soundstage is moderately large, neither cavernous nor claustrophobic. More importantly imaging and instrument separation are quite good. This headphone has very good coherency.

For some reason, my thoughts gravitate more toward the T1 rather than the D7000 at the moment. These headphones strike me as a "jack of all trades," able to do everything reasonably well but with no especially distinct talent immediately apparent. I'm not saying the tonal balance is like the T1's though. These seem to have a relatively less strident top end and more satisfying lower end. A bit recessed in the mids compared to the T1, which has a more intimate feel. However I must reiterate these are relative comparisons. Any recessed quality of the TH900's mids doesn't stick out like a sore thumb to my ears. The TH900 seems quite even tempered."

These are very, very early impressions. More to come.

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #253 of 18,761
Cross-posted from my diary thread:

"So, the TH900 is on my head, finally....

-Packaging is HUEG OMG. It's like a videogame console rather than a headphone.
-The included headphone stand is kind of stupid in a "seems like it would tip over easily and dents the headband" kind of way.
-Build quality of the TH900 is gorgeous, with an extreme attention to detail. The lacquer cups trump the W3000ANV's for beauty in my humble opinion. The plug has platinum over it. Gorgeous.
-Very comfortable to wear, similar to the Denon line that Fostex made. I imagine the isolation is equally poor as well.

The sound is... pleasant. Well balanced. For some reason I find it a bit difficult to describe this morning, as there's no truly distinct coloration jumping out at me (I guess I've been listening to FADs too much?). Listening to bass heavy tracks, these have the D7000's lower end capability alright, but over the package is much more refined. The highs are silky smooth. Thankfully inoffensive. The mids have a bit of a recessed quality I recognize from the Denon line as well, but it seems less distinct to me, better integrated into the overall sound signature as a whole. It's not as noticeable on a given track to my ears in other words. Soundstage is moderately large, neither cavernous nor claustrophobic. More importantly imaging and instrument separation are quite good. This headphone has very good coherency.

For some reason, my thoughts gravitate more toward the T1 rather than the D7000 at the moment. These headphones strike me as a "jack of all trades," able to do everything reasonably well but with no especially distinct talent immediately apparent. I'm not saying the tonal balance is like the T1's though. These seem to have a relatively less strident top end and more satisfying lower end. A bit recessed in the mids compared to the T1, which has a more intimate feel. However I must reiterate these are relative comparisons. Any recessed quality of the TH900's mids doesn't stick out like a sore thumb to my ears. The TH900 seems quite even tempered."

These are very, very early impressions. More to come.

=O

Can't wait to hear more.

Apr 5, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #254 of 18,761
Thanks MuppetFace, you wrote what I secretly wanted to hear I guess.
I'll have to get me one of these beauties as well it seems.  :)

I'll check out that thread of yours, I think it's the diary thread no?
Someone already recommended the thread to me, I think it was a_recording but I forgot to follow up. 
Will be a nice read for tonight, for now I have some work to do.

Apr 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #255 of 18,761
Seeing as they're available for $1750~ from PriceJapan, paying $2300 would not be a smart move.

Assuming it is the Denon is also foolish.  Similar form factor + same manufacturer does not mean they are the same.  Especially when Fostex's press release states The new TH900 is a pair of flagship dynamic headphones from Fostex featuring newly developed drivers with 1.5 tesla magnetic flux density (besides for the cups and cable which are obvious differences.)  One who assumes is worse than foolish actually - they are willfully ignorant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back