Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 29, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #17,973 of 18,761
My 6.3mm Arctic Cables Magnus copper cable is up for sale, and a marked improvement on the stock for anyone thinking of upgrading.

Oct 31, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #17,975 of 18,761
I ordered a TH-900 pearl white. Now I can buy a TH-909 Saphire blue. Which has smoother treble and which is better suited for metal?
Sapphire blue th909 is the same tuning as the red th909 I believe, and the pearl white is a different tuning compared to the red/green Th900 being more neutral from what I remember. I think the pearl white are great for people who prefer a more neutral tuning (yet still has the fostexness to them with excellent bass and some treble air), but for me I found I missed the flavor of the Th900 reds. I think the pearl whites will have smoother treble from rock music but will have less energy then the 909 (in my opinion, compared the 909 to the whites when I had them and the whites were not as exciting or lively for rock) both headphones sound great though. I think it comes down to personal flavor and if you can afford them get the 909 to compare to the pearl whites.

Oct 31, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #17,976 of 18,761
Sapphire blue th909 is the same tuning as the red th909 I believe, and the pearl white is a different tuning compared to the red/green Th900 being more neutral from what I remember. I think the pearl white are great for people who prefer a more neutral tuning (yet still has the fostexness to them with excellent bass and some treble air), but for me I found I missed the flavor of the Th900 reds. I think the pearl whites will have smoother treble from rock music but will have less energy then the 909 (in my opinion, compared the 909 to the whites when I had them and the whites were not as exciting or lively for rock) both headphones sound great though. I think it comes down to personal flavor and if you can afford them get the 909 to compare to the pearl whites.
Very helpful thanks. Hope the whites comes next week.

Nov 13, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #17,979 of 18,761
Any good DAC/amp recommendations for a desktop setup with TH900? I currently have a Chord Mojo which has been giving me some trouble. Anything else comparable under the $500 USD range? I listen to a varied genre of music between black metal, EDM, and classical.
Asgard 3 with a modi multibit or modi 3+ or and all in one Asgard 3 with internal dac are some less expensive options that sounded good. I currently use the Burson playmate 2 and really enjoy the sound of that amp with the th900. I aso had the Jotunheim 2 and that paired well with the 900 through single end but xlr seemed a little too much for them. I have also used the Violectric v100 and 200 as well as an RS08 from lake people which those were great as well from my memory (rs08 my least favorite).
edit: sorry the dacs used were the modi 3+, modi multibit and bifrost 2 (playmate 2 uses a Sabre dac which sounds fantastic with how they implemented it).

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #17,980 of 18,761
Any good DAC/amp recommendations for a desktop setup with TH900? I currently have a Chord Mojo which has been giving me some trouble. Anything else comparable under the $500 USD range? I listen to a varied genre of music between black metal, EDM, and classical.
Dap and a Romi 5 watt portable amp.

Nov 13, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #17,981 of 18,761
Dap and a Romi 5 watt portable amp.
You may think that im crazy but, I just got the ifi hip-dac V2 for travels with my work laptop, and the th900 sound really good out of a balance 4.4mm cable.

I had to recable mine since my its the first gen.

Also know the ifi coming out with a more powerfull all in one here pretty soon may want to wait for that.

Here I found the article.

https://majorhifi.com/ifi-reveal-xdsd-gryphon-premium-dac-amp/

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #17,982 of 18,761
You may think that im crazy but, I just got the ifi hip-dac V2 for travels with my work laptop, and the th900 sound really good out of a balance 4.4mm cable.

I had to recable mine since my its the first gen.

Also know the ifi coming out with a more powerfull all in one here pretty soon may want to wait for that.

Here I found the article.

https://majorhifi.com/ifi-reveal-xdsd-gryphon-premium-dac-amp/
Yeah I had that its good a warm sounding little amp. The ifi black is better , but its a bigger amp but way way more power and it has a nice dac.

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #17,983 of 18,761
Yeah I had that its good a warm sounding little amp. The ifi black is better , but its a bigger amp but way way more power and it has a nice dac.
Are you saying you tried the TH900 with both the ifi xdsd gryphon and the ifi idsd black label?
I am looking at both of these dac/amps for the TH900.
Mostly listening to EDM with LOTS of bass, want that authority and definition.
Do you really feel the gryphon would not be enough power for that compared to the black label?

Also what power do you run your TH900 at on the black label? Normal ? Turbo?

Nov 24, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #17,984 of 18,761
Are you saying you tried the TH900 with both the ifi xdsd gryphon and the ifi idsd black label?
Do you really feel the gryphon would not be enough power for that compared to the black label?

All three ifis have enough power and I love bass and EDM. Turbo is not needed. I now using Romi portable amp with 3 watts.

Nov 24, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #17,985 of 18,761

Last thing TH900 needs is a warm sounding amp - it's already warm sounding as it is.
Power is never an issue with TH900, it's extremely easy to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back