Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 10, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #16,697 of 18,761
Compared to which other headphones, just out of curiosity.
audeze lcd models, abyss / diana, hd800, grado on-ear models, audio-technica w3000anv / w5000 come to mind. what i appreciate about the th900's fit is its low clamping force, light weight and generous ear cups - ymmv.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #16,698 of 18,761
I find my lawton mod just fun HP. simple recessed and all. Sometimes you just want to thump. baby do you wanna thump?

Sep 10, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #16,699 of 18,761
audeze lcd models, abyss / diana, hd800, grado on-ear models, audio-technica w3000anv / w5000 come to mind. what i appreciate about the th900's fit is its low clamping force, light weight and generous ear cups - ymmv.
I would agree with most the headphones you mentioned, but i would disagree with the abyss line. when i wore the abyss 1266 and the Diana i found them to be much lighter and less sore spot enducing on their headband. despite the headband being thin. the only complaint i have is that the earcups on them wasnt the greatest but was ok. but for that price... un-acceptable. I do find the th900mk2 earpads were good, but felt a bit tight, i know you can get after market pads but i didnt wanna play around with the signature sound of thoes cans. to be fair, i do regret selling my th900mk2, if i could go back in time i wouldnt sell them. that being said... i'd like to try the 909s.

Sep 10, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #16,700 of 18,761
I would agree with most the headphones you mentioned, but i would disagree with the abyss line. when i wore the abyss 1266 and the Diana i found them to be much lighter and less sore spot enducing on their headband. despite the headband being thin. the only complaint i have is that the earcups on them wasnt the greatest but was ok. but for that price... un-acceptable. I do find the th900mk2 earpads were good, but felt a bit tight, i know you can get after market pads but i didnt wanna play around with the signature sound of thoes cans. to be fair, i do regret selling my th900mk2, if i could go back in time i wouldnt sell them. that being said... i'd like to try the 909s.
Did you use that Abyss for a whole week or just for a demo ?

Sep 10, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #16,701 of 18,761
Sep 10, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #16,702 of 18,761
the abyss is unquestionably much heavier than the th900. it is also unwieldy compared to the th900 imo. the diana is comparable in weight to the th900 but not as comfortable ime. the problem with abyss headphones is the poor ergonomics - they're just not very comfortable imo, which is a shame because i think they sound great

Sep 11, 2019 at 5:56 AM Post #16,703 of 18,761
the abyss is unquestionably much heavier than the th900. it is also unwieldy compared to the th900 imo. the diana is comparable in weight to the th900 but not as comfortable ime. the problem with abyss headphones is the poor ergonomics - they're just not very comfortable imo, which is a shame because i think they sound great
I would agree and disagree on some points. I would agree the weight can be an issue and yes, its not very ergonomic lol thats for sure. But i didnt find them less comfortable than the th900. I find maybe theyre 25% more comfortable? Maybe we have too different of ear types lol

Sep 11, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #16,704 of 18,761
I would agree and disagree on some points. I would agree the weight can be an issue and yes, its not very ergonomic lol thats for sure. But i didnt find them less comfortable than the th900. I find maybe theyre 25% more comfortable? Maybe we have too different of ear types lol
this might be a disagreement if i was questioning or disputing your subjective experience with the th900, abyss and diana, but i'm not - i just can't relate to it based on my own subjective experience with those headphones. it's more likely than not that we do have different shaped ears and heads. you may even have a sensitivity to pressure from a headband placed on the top of your skull that i don't. but what is beyond dispute is that the abyss is a considerably heavier headphone than the th900. speaking only for myself, i find the th900 far more comfortable to wear than both the abyss and diana - ymmv.

Sep 17, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #16,705 of 18,761
I was carrying my TH900's in their little bag from my truck to the house. I had a lot in my hands, and dropped them. Result: A cracked cup. Anger. Regret. Thoughts of turning to the dark side.

Does anyone know if you can buy replacements? I can never catch the Lawton ones in stock, and I only need 1 anyway.

CrackedCup.jpg

Sep 17, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #16,706 of 18,761
I was carrying my TH900's in their little bag from my truck to the house. I had a lot in my hands, and dropped them. Result: A cracked cup. Anger. Regret. Thoughts of turning to the dark side.

Does anyone know if you can buy replacements? I can never catch the Lawton ones in stock, and I only need 1 anyway.

Yes , it was mentioned in this thread. Compass , something. Full compass. Just goggle fostex th900 parts.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #16,708 of 18,761

Lawton has a set of th900 cups listed on their website for$199 right now

Sep 17, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #16,710 of 18,761

Users who are viewing this thread

Back