Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Aug 4, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #16,682 of 18,761
Anyone used burson soloist with th900? Recently bought both and love the pairing, but have a question concerning my preferred listening volume levels with this combo. I use medium gain with the volume pot about 12:00-1:00. While this is fairly loud I know. I like it. Any danger of driver damage at this volume? Any soloist owners advice? It doesn’t sound distorted at these volumes, sounds great actually, I just have no point of reference or spl meters to measure how loud this is. Listen to rock, prog metal, some electronic, not much classical or acoustic,so music that’s definitely working the drivers out. Also, soloist does 4w at 16ohm. Is that on high gain, if so, does that mean less than 4w on medium gain? Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

Aug 4, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #16,683 of 18,761
Anyone used burson soloist with th900? Recently bought both and love the pairing, but have a question concerning my preferred listening volume levels with this combo. I use medium gain with the volume pot about 12:00-1:00. While this is fairly loud I know. I like it. Any danger of driver damage at this volume? Any soloist owners advice? It doesn’t sound distorted at these volumes, sounds great actually, I just have no point of reference or spl meters to measure how loud this is. Listen to rock, prog metal, some electronic, not much classical or acoustic,so music that’s definitely working the drivers out. Also, soloist does 4w at 16ohm. Is that on high gain, if so, does that mean less than 4w on medium gain? Thanks for any advice anyone can give.

I would get a DB meter. Or, there are also phone apps you can download to check the loudness at your preferred listening level.

Maybe with medium gain you would be okay. But it's always good that to know the DB loudness you are listening to. I have tinnitus from loud music and power tools so I always recommend knowing what loudness people are exposed to, and if you are at a safe volume for good ear health, your speakers and drivers will be fine as well.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #16,684 of 18,761

I'm pretty sure your ears are getting damaged first before the driver, this is what i would be afraid of.
Getting and using a DB meter is a good idea.

Sep 9, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #16,687 of 18,761
Hi all, yesterday i did a listening session with 2 friends of mine with the TH600, Stock TH900MK2 and a heavy Modded TH900MK2.

Here's some interesting points:

Bass:
interesting enough both the TH600 and the Modded TH900MK2 give the impression that they have more bass than the Stock TH900MK2 but less refined.
Mids: Again the TH600 and the Modded TH900MK2 has a very similar tonality that seems a bit recessed and with less definition compared to the Stock TH900MK2 that seems really bright and defined.
High: Like the mids the TH600 and the Modded TH900MK2 has a very similar tonality that seems less defined compared to the Stock TH900MK2 that seems really bright and defined.

In conclusion they both preferred the Stock TH900MK2 by a huge margin in all the aspects except bass quantity.
The TH600 and the Modded TH900MK2 were quite similar with a slight edge for the MK2.

What surpises me the most it's that they both have more bass quantity than the Stock TH900MK2 and that i really prefer the tonality of the Stock TH900MK2 that seems really fun, engaging and extremely defined.

What you guys think?

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #16,689 of 18,761
I liked the souns of the th900mk2, but the comfort wasnt for me so i sold it. Didnt you find it left sore spots on your head from the headband? Maybe after 45min-ish of use.

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:52 AM Post #16,691 of 18,761
I used the th900 3hrs on the go six days a week. No issues.

Sep 9, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #16,692 of 18,761
Hi all, yesterday i did a listening session with 2 friends of mine with the TH600, Stock TH900MK2 and a heavy Modded TH900MK2.

Here's some interesting points:

Bass:
interesting enough both the TH600 and the Modded TH900MK2 give the impression that they have more bass than the Stock TH900MK2 but less refined.
Mids: Again the TH600 and the Modded TH900MK2 has a very similar tonality that seems a bit recessed and with less definition compared to the Stock TH900MK2 that seems really bright and defined.
High: Like the mids the TH600 and the Modded TH900MK2 has a very similar tonality that seems less defined compared to the Stock TH900MK2 that seems really bright and defined.

In conclusion they both preferred the Stock TH900MK2 by a huge margin in all the aspects except bass quantity.
The TH600 and the Modded TH900MK2 were quite similar with a slight edge for the MK2.

What surpises me the most it's that they both have more bass quantity than the Stock TH900MK2 and that i really prefer the tonality of the Stock TH900MK2 that seems really fun, engaging and extremely defined.

What you guys think?

Do you have more details about the modded TH 900 MK2, which mod exactly was done?

Sep 9, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #16,693 of 18,761
with regard to the th900's comfort, it is one of the more comfortable headphones that i've worn

Sep 10, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #16,694 of 18,761
Do you have more details about the modded TH 900 MK2, which mod exactly was done?
The mod has been done by an italian audio la called Spirit Sound Design under the supervision of Andrea Ricci that is an headphone audio expert.
The cup has been modded with dynamat and metal foil and the driver has been modified to solve the issues of the stock TH900MK2 like recessed mids and hot treble.

Sep 10, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #16,695 of 18,761
with regard to the th900's comfort, it is one of the more comfortable headphones that i've worn
Compared to which other headphones, just out of curiosity.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back