Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 28, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #14,746 of 18,761
Folks need to revisit the S version it seems. Course I'm convinced it also involves dac amp set up, i guess i have great synergy with mine

Feb 28, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #14,747 of 18,761
  Folks need to revisit the S version it seems. Course I'm convinced it also involves dac amp set up, i guess i have great synergy with mine

The other issue with the HD800/800s is they look like a toy.  It's a 90s-style type of headphone in appearance.  At least the Fostex looks classy and elegant.  Also the older Sennhesier cans I mentioned (600/650) have a more reserved classy look to them.  

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #14,750 of 18,761
  For source, I like the Resonessence Herus more (especially with external battery + Y cable) than the Mojo, at least with my modded TH900 and even Staxes. Also, the Herus sounds much closer to my reference DAC (TDA1541 based). IMHO it beats the similarly priced Schiit Modi 2 multibit big time (both from speakers and from headphones). Probably the Mojo would fit the Z1R better - and it's a good source, especially tempting with the Poly. The Herus has somewhat deeper tone, more relaxed stage, subjectively somewhat better bass, but it's when instruments start to play you realize they're really good and ahead of the pack. It's funny that its bigger brothers sound brighter.

I've considered giving the Herus a try. Are you using the regular or plus variant? Also, do you ever use it on the go?

Cheers and thanks!

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #14,752 of 18,761

I agree.  I've listened to the HD800 before and was left completely unimpressed.  I felt there was all mids and highs without any bass.  I feel the HD600 and HD650 are a better headphone, more so the HD600 but that's for another thread/discussion.  It's why I have an HD600 in my arsenal.  

Slightly changing gears, does anyone run a rooted Android?  I've got some great tweaks I run with it on my HTC 10 and it's amazing.  The HTC 10 in its own right has a great audio output but would be happy to share if anyone is interested.  

To add to the HD800 bashing.... Plus they feel like a wet rag when you put them on your noggin.  I hated every second when I had them here for a trial. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #14,754 of 18,761
and what a handsome weapon it is

Can't just help to notice the screen name and the time you're posting....3 AM in my timezone on the east coast of the USA.  I'm prepping for an all-nighter at work tomorrow but just found that screen name and the time of the post to be ironic.  
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:07 AM Post #14,755 of 18,761

Can't just help to notice the screen name and the time you're posting....3 AM in my timezone on the east coast of the USA.  I'm prepping for an all-nighter at work tomorrow but just found that screen name and the time of the post to be ironic.  
tongue.gif

Insomnia crew checking in!

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #14,756 of 18,761

Insomnia crew checking in!

x2 but I think 4:30 AM is enough to prep for tomorrow's work until 6 AM.  Out until the PM.  Good night! 
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:57 AM Post #14,757 of 18,761

x2 but I think 4:30 AM is enough to prep for tomorrow's work until 6 AM.  Out until the PM.  Good night! 
biggrin.gif

Ahahahaha you too :)

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #14,758 of 18,761
  Lovely for sure :). Any more details? I kind of understand why the laconic summary, but since you've also compared it to the TH900, could you describe the differences you've heard?

Yes, @up late please give us some feedback on the comparison.

sorry for the delay in replying. i did compare the z1r directly with the th900 but it was under trying circumstances, due to some dude switching from auditioning earphones to portable sound systems at annoyingly loud levels. both cans were plugged into the z1r's deluxe dac/head amp sibling with a model number that doubles as its name, and is nigh on impossible to remember. it has been "voiced" for the z1r, apparently.

before i move onto my brief comparative impressions, i'd like to make a few comments about the z1r. it is black, monolithic and a stunning example of minimalist design. it is also beautifully made. the ear cups which i believe are formed from canadian fern pulp (yep, you read that right) are covered in a fine metal mesh that seems quite strong. the headphone feels surprisingly robust in the hand. the headband is leather covered and feels plush as do the deep leather ear pads. the ear cup apertures are oval in shape and relatively small compared to the th900's. however, they felt comfortable on my generously proportioned ears. the z1r is one of the most comfortable cans i've worn and it made the th900 feel somewhat less deluxe.

the z1r sounds smooth and refined with a boosted but not overpowering bass foundation, present midrange and refined treble. the clarity was good but i felt that it sounded ever so slightly congested at times. compared to the th900, it sounds darker and more damped. the z1r sounds more like a closed headphone than the th900, and it also behaves more like one in that it attenuates outside noise more effectively. its presentation reminds me of studio monitors that i have heard - controlled rather than lively, processed rather than "organic". i think that the z1r sound signature shares more in common with the w3000anv than the th900 actually, and it's clearly a class above it (the w3000anv) sonically to my ears.

i felt that the th900 had superior instrument separation and i assume that its more v-shaped fr is conducive to that. i paid particular attention to the bass presentation of both cans and i didn't find that  the z1r "slammed" any harder than the th900, but that might be attributable to the music that i listen to which is mainly acoustic. i think that the th900's bass is still hard to beat.

i would very much like to give the z1r another listen, but i came away from the audition thinking that it is a superb closed can.

Mar 2, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #14,759 of 18,761

sorry for the delay in replying. i did compare the z1r directly with the th900 but it was under trying circumstances, due to some dude switching from auditioning earphones to portable sound systems at annoyingly loud levels. both cans were plugged into the z1r's deluxe dac/head amp sibling with a model number that doubles as its name, and is nigh on impossible to remember. it has been "voiced" for the z1r, apparently.

before i move onto my brief comparative impressions, i'd like to make a few comments about the z1r. it is black, monolithic and a stunning example of minimalist design. it is also beautifully made. the ear cups which i believe are formed from canadian fern pulp (yep, you read that right) are covered in a fine metal mesh that seems quite strong. the headphone feels surprisingly robust in the hand. the headband is leather covered and feels plush as do the deep leather ear pads. the ear cup apertures are oval in shape and relatively small compared to the th900's. however, they felt comfortable on my generously proportioned ears. the z1r is one of the most comfortable cans i've worn and it made the th900 feel somewhat less deluxe.

the z1r sounds smooth and refined with a boosted but not overpowering bass foundation, present midrange and refined treble. the clarity was good but i felt that it sounded ever so slightly congested at times. compared to the th900, it sounds darker and more damped. the z1r sounds more like a closed headphone than the th900, and it also behaves more like one in that it attenuates outside noise more effectively. its presentation reminds me of studio monitors that i have heard - controlled rather than lively, processed rather than "organic". i think that the z1r sound signature shares more in common with the w3000anv than the th900 actually, and it's clearly a class above it (the w3000anv) sonically to my ears.

i felt that the th900 had superior instrument separation and i assume that its more v-shaped fr is conducive to that. i paid particular attention to the bass presentation of both cans and i didn't find that  the z1r "slammed" any harder than the th900, but that might be attributable to the music that i listen to which is mainly acoustic. i think that the th900's bass is still hard to beat.

i would very much like to give the z1r another listen, but i came away from the audition thinking that it is a superb closed can.

Nice mini-review there. My conclusions after listening for a month aren't too dissimilar to yours, however I do have a lower opinion of the Sony Z1R than you have expressed, though that might be due to the differences in music we listen to. I also listen quite loud, about 90 db or over and tend to use light EQ with pretty much every headphone to remove treble irritation. I'd be interested to see how your rank them after a more extended comparison.

Mar 2, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #14,760 of 18,761

Nice mini-review there. My conclusions after listening for a month aren't too dissimilar to yours, however I do have a lower opinion of the Sony Z1R than you have expressed, though that might be due to the differences in music we listen to. I also listen quite loud, about 90 db or over and tend to use light EQ with pretty much every headphone to remove treble irritation. I'd be interested to see how your rank them after a more extended comparison.

Is there anything in particular you use to monitor your db level? I could REALLY benefit from being able to do that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back