Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Feb 24, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #14,686 of 18,761
I enjoyed reading that comparison, kyle. Have you tried the elear? I also found them overrated and over hyped personally, especially when you have something like the hd650 which sound quite similar for so much less money.

I have tried the Elear a few times, but IMHO it doesn't really hold a candle against the TH900 on one end, or against the Utopia on the other end (obviously). The TH900 is more visceral, has deeper bass, and (at least my modded TH900) sounds more open. The HD650 IMHO has significantly less bass than either (as a consequence I don't listen to them any more, but one of my kids has adopted it, showing it still has some appeal beyond serving for calibrating my measurements rig against other rigs :). However, I'd choose the HD650 over the Elear, too.

Feb 24, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #14,687 of 18,761
Like I said, for bass, it's not about what the cans do, it's about what the cans can do. Don't take my word for it, proof of the z1r being a bass monster on comparable levels to the th900 is here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=y828rvS5YXs

You get distortion when the cans are underpowered. This vid was done with max bass eq and a 4 W amp.

I won't comment on the rest because I never gave the z1r praise anywhere else. I just said these two are among the best audiophile cans for bass impact, rumble, etc. The proof is in the paper.

I wasn't directly referring to you when talking about the Z1R praise, but more with the general perception that Z1R is superior or on the same level to the TH900. On the Schitt Rag (a very powerful 100W amp so no distortion due to lack of power there) the Sony has noticeable distortion which only gets worse the more you EQ it up. The effect of the distortion is to soften and blunt the impacts on very dynamic passages that require really low bass. Moving a piece of paper isn't a substitute for an experienced set of ears.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #14,688 of 18,761
I wasn't directly referring to you when talking about the Z1R praise, but more with the general perception that Z1R is superior or on the same level to the TH900. On the Schitt Rag (a very powerful 100W amp so no distortion due to lack of power there) the Sony has noticeable distortion which only gets worse the more you EQ it up. The effect of the distortion is to soften and blunt the impacts on very dynamic passages that require really low bass. Moving a piece of paper doesn't isn't a substitute for an experienced set of ears.

Huh, that's good to know. Like I said too, the z1r should be formally evaluated by the bassheads soon. I hope in my post I left that question open and not matter of fact...I'll have to check it hah. Anyway, distortion will probably keep it off the list if it's significant enough. I appreciate the input and am once again, leaning more towards the th900 as my next, and perhaps final, headphone.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #14,689 of 18,761
I'd agree. Not everyone measures the quality of a headphones bass and impact by how much it moves the paper sheet. That might be true in the bass head thread, but isn't going to be the case as an objective way to measure stuff by everyone outside of it.

And consider not everyone likes to EQ stuff either. I like to hear headphones in stock form generally speaking to keep from potentially messing with other frequencies. Manufacturers spend a lot of time and money tuning the sound the way they want, and jacking the bass frequencies up 10-15 DB's or more for more bass isn't the way we all want to listen and enjoy our music. I understand the objective of that thread is just about bass, but there are many other aspects of the sound of the TH900's that make them very special and unique besides the exceptional sub-bass. If you get a pair, you'll see.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #14,690 of 18,761
interesting comparison of the th900 and z1r @kyle491. still waiting for a z1r to become available here so i can do the same.

i just find the th900's presentation compelling whenever i put it on. it always impresses and engages me.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #14,691 of 18,761
I'd agree. Not everyone measures the quality of a headphones bass and impact by how much it moves the paper sheet. That might be true in the bass head thread, but isn't going to be the case as an objective way to measure stuff by everyone outside of it.

And consider not everyone likes to EQ stuff either. I like to hear headphones in stock form generally speaking to keep from potentially messing with other frequencies. Manufacturers spend a lot of time and money tuning the sound the way they want, and jacking the bass frequencies up 10-15 DB's or more for more bass isn't the way we all want to listen and enjoy our music. I understand the objective of that thread is just about bass, but there are many other aspects of the sound of the TH900's that make them very special and unique besides the exceptional sub-bass. If you get a pair, you'll see.

Yeah I don't eq the crap outta my music --just games haha. There's no better way imho, to make a game like battlefield 1, more immersive than having absurd amounts of bass when something explodes for example. But I game and listen equally so it's important to me that a headphone can do both well.

I'm sure I'll get a th900 soon enough... but it's been and will continue to be a loooong wait until then haha. But the thx00 are holding my attention very well in the meanwhile, and at least I have a reasonable portion of the experience.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #14,692 of 18,761
  so, with a pair of hd800 on hand in addition to the th900, one might be fully covered, Dancingblue, or not so much?

As long as you're ok with open and semi-open (the TH900) cans, then yeah, they do complement each other very well. I listen to the MHP1000 most because they're closed back, and I often need to block ambient sounds, something that the HD800S doesn't do at all, and the TH900 does only a very little.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #14,693 of 18,761

That means a lot, coming from your mouth as the owner of some really top tier cans.

They really are something special for me, definitely unique.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #14,694 of 18,761
Would you recommend it for "heavy classical"? What about solo keyboard?

For me, not really. I mean, they'll reproduce the music well enough. You'll have clarity and energy, and you'll have a "good enough" listening experience, but they don't really do either genre real justice. I've tried them for symphonic classical and bebop jazz and didn't get the same satisfaction as with the MHP1000, HD800S and Utopia.

Feb 25, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #14,696 of 18,761
Would you recommend it for "heavy classical"? What about solo keyboard?
You will get more of the hall effect imo. I find th900 reproducing Tjajkovsky and Beethoven very well. I enjoy piano concertos on th900 for instance though in my opinion T5P mk1 are best for classical and JVC fx850 best for violin cello concertos and especially string guitar play is magical on jvc.

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #14,697 of 18,761
Hiya folks, I'm soon joining the TH900 club.

So, just ordered a th900 mk2 version in hope of it being a worthy replacement for my alpha primes(sold them, regrettably).

I have seen so many different impressions from people of the treble on the th900 varying between ''perfect treble'' to ''too hot''. These descriptions have me confused. Do you guys have to keep the music turned down just to handle the highs or is that just blown out of proportion? Also, out of curiosity, has anyone ever modded their th900 to specifically affect the treble region?

thanks

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #14,698 of 18,761
Hiya folks, I'm soon joining the TH900 club.

So, just ordered a th900 mk2 version in hope of it being a worthy replacement for my alpha primes(sold them, regrettably).

I have seen so many different impressions from people of the treble on the th900 varying between ''perfect treble'' to ''too hot''. These descriptions have me confused. Do you guys have to keep the music turned down just to handle the highs or is that just blown out of proportion? Also, out of curiosity, has anyone ever modded their th900 to specifically affect the treble region?

thanks

You will find out how loud you like em. The sig is what it is. I never had any issues, however, Lawton mods help with bass bloom and the highs, plus expand the stage

Feb 25, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #14,699 of 18,761
You will find out how loud you like em. The sig is what it is. I never had any issues, however, Lawton mods help with bass bloom and the highs, plus expand the stage

I checked out the lawton site, nice selection of tweaks. What level of lawton mod is your th900 at?

Maybe the 900 can 'show me the way' in this search for that elusive golden goose of a signature.

I find it hard to get a headphone that has 'enough' bass or bass that extends far enough for my liking, especially in any open headphone. The alpha primes got me closer to that end goal than anything else as of yet.

In this search, I tried out an lcd-x the other day. While it was quite impressive technically, I found that I just prefer closed headphones for some reason. I preferred the Mayflower V1's sound at 1/8 the cost of the audeze. Maybe its something to do with cup resonance, closed headphones just seem more involving. Maybe I'm just weird?!
confused_face.gif

I love this hobby..even though it drives me crazy.

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #14,700 of 18,761

I checked out the lawton site, nice selection of tweaks. What level of lawton mod is your th900 at?

Maybe the 900 can 'show me the way' in this search for that elusive golden goose of a signature.

I find it hard to get a headphone that has 'enough' bass or bass that extends far enough for my liking, especially in any open headphone. The alpha primes got me closer to that end goal than anything else as of yet.

In this search, I tried out an lcd-x the other day. While it was quite impressive technically, I found that I just prefer closed headphones for some reason. I preferred the Mayflower V1's sound at 1/8 the cost of the audeze. Maybe its something to do with cup resonance, closed headphones just seem more involving. Maybe I'm just weird?!:confused_face:

I love this hobby..even though it drives me crazy.

Full mod, museum grade Hawaiian koa. Th900 is not just about the bass it does recess the mids, but is fast and accurate as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back